? regarding w/c's. Do you still pick up fastpasses, or just use the lines to get in?

Dutchmom23

Mouseketeer
Do you pick up fastpasses for later return times? During shows, do you have special place to enter? For example, Fantasmic-do we need to get there as early as they say for w/c seating? I am just trying to get a "handle" of the w/c plan since this is our very first DW trip. TIA.

:hourglass 5 days and counting!!

*I use Fast Passes all the time.

*Show entrances- depends on the show.

*Only been to Fantasmic once. Got there 1.5 hours early. There was plenty of handicapped seating but I was glad we came early.

Here's a link to the official WDW site's disability page. It includes a link for the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. You will notice that most attractions have what they call "Mainstream queues." That means that the queues are wide enough to accomidate wheelchairs and ecvs. For those atractions, you will be using the standby lines unless you have fastpasses (so, yes, as Lindsay noted, you should get fastpasses).
For most shows, you will enter in the regular entrance and then be directed to the back of the theater where there are spaces for wheelchairs. Some shows, like Beauty and the Beast and the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, have seating in the front and the back. Be there early if you want to get the front seats.
For Fantasmic, we have gotten there as late as 15 minutes before the show (during Spring break, no less) and still gotten space. I would suggest getting there 1 to 1.5 hours early though. The wait is not really as bad as it sounds; you are seated, there is a snack bar and bathrooms in the area if you need them. We are usually surprised how quickly the time goes. The closer to the show start time you wait to go in, the busier it is and the more difficult it becomes to drive thru the crowds.

In most attractions, the CMs do a good job of letting you know where to go, what to do.
Check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more info.

SueM in MN said:
Here's a link to the official WDW site's disability page. It includes a link for the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. You will notice that most attractions have what they call "Mainstream queues." That means that the queues are wide enough to accomidate wheelchairs and ecvs. For those atractions, you will be using the standby lines unless you have fastpasses (so, yes, as Lindsay noted, you should get fastpasses).
For most shows, you will enter in the regular entrance and then be directed to the back of the theater where there are spaces for wheelchairs. Some shows, like Beauty and the Beast and the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, have seating in the front and the back. Be there early if you want to get the front seats.
For Fantasmic, we have gotten there as late as 15 minutes before the show (during Spring break, no less) and still gotten space. I would suggest getting there 1 to 1.5 hours early though. The wait is not really as bad as it sounds; you are seated, there is a snack bar and bathrooms in the area if you need them. We are usually surprised how quickly the time goes. The closer to the show start time you wait to go in, the busier it is and the more difficult it becomes to drive thru the crowds.

In most attractions, the CMs do a good job of letting you know where to go, what to do.
Check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more info.

TYVM For pointing out this thread. The shock of dh's injury and my resolving phlebitis has thrown my head into a tailspin, and am thankful we can still do this "maiden" voyage for our dc. What a tremendous help, thanks, again.

LindsayDunn228 said:
*I use Fast Passes all the time.

*Show entrances- depends on the show.

*Only been to Fantasmic once. Got there 1.5 hours early. There was plenty of handicapped seating but I was glad we came early.
ty so much for replying and blessing me with this info. I appreciate the kindness people show to one another on this board. I have learned so much.

I'm a paraplegic and always use fastpass for rides that have it. One thing that happens occasionally is that fast pass will run out for the day. If the standby line isn't accessible then the CM at the fastpass line has always given me a hand written fastpass with a return time equal to the wait I would have had in the stand by line.

I've done Fantasmic a couple of times but both were done with the Fantasmic Dinner Package. I think this is a great way to get a good dinner and not have to wait in that long line.

TY for your help. They seem to be very w/c friendly, and we can make our vacation attainable. I appreciate this board and all the help people give to one another.

Hi Lindsay,

I'm a T8. I had a snow skiing accident back in 1977 so have been wheeling for 28 years now. WDW sure has changed alot in the past 28 years with wheelchair access. But it's still my favorite place to vacation. I know that there I'm rarely disappointed because I can't get into an attraction.

edited to add....BTW I just noticed your ticker! It looks like we're going down around the same time this year. I'll be there during Thanksgiving. We're doing a big family get together.

i've only seen this show twice, once from a wc seating that was halfway between the left and center "screens" and once from dead center. wow--it was WAY better in the center. it just wasn't as nice sitting between two areas, not knowing which part to look at (even though they're showing the same exact thing). me personally, if i were to go again i'd make sure i arrived early enough to park my chair in a center seat. JMHO

also, some shows throughout wdw wc seating is in more than one place (back and front) so you might want to think about it beforehand if you prefer one to another for a particular show.
-dj

dj2 said:
i've only seen this show twice, once from a wc seating that was halfway between the left and center "screens" and once from dead center. wow--it was WAY better in the center. it just wasn't as nice sitting between two areas, not knowing which part to look at (even though they're showing the same exact thing). me personally, if i were to go again i'd make sure i arrived early enough to park my chair in a center seat. JMHO

also, some shows throughout wdw wc seating is in more than one place (back and front) so you might want to think about it beforehand if you prefer one to another for a particular show.
-dj
But don't sit in front in Fantasmic unless you are prepared to get wet!

There are a few front row wheelchair seats for Fantasmic (down a pretty steep ramp). Because the "screens" are made from a fine mist of water, you may get wet. If there is a little breeze, you may get a little wet. If there is a wind blowing toward the audience, you will feel like you are being rained on.

dj2 said:
Are there two screens - or three? I understand the value of seeing the center screen straight on, but would seeing the side screen "straight on" (sitting more toward the side of the seating area) be a similar vantage point? I was thinking it might be better to be closer to the exit for when the show is over.

:grouphug:

JoannaOhio said:
Are there two screens - or three? I understand the value of seeing the center screen straight on, but would seeing the side screen "straight on" (sitting more toward the side of the seating area) be a similar vantage point? I was thinking it might be better to be closer to the exit for when the show is over.

There are 3 screens. We've sat everywhere from exact center to being off to one side and could see quite well from all locations. I can see it might be distracting for some people to be able to see 2 screens, but where ever you are, it's still an enjoyable show. I have read posts from people who felt the seats anywhere but the middle were not good, but I don't agree (and a lot of others don't agree either), so I guess it's personal preference.
The way they have set up the theater, there are 3 sections of seating The "stage area" is slightly curved and the seating area is curved to follow the "stage". Each seating section has a water screen centered in front of it. The rest of the show takes place all over the stage and on the "river" that separates the stage from the audience.
When it's over, the first time we went, we went out right after the show. That means you are leaving with about 10,000 people who are all trying to get out as fast as possible. Since everyone is going in the same direction, I guess it's not that bad, but we were in a huge crowd.
Now, we just wait until most of the crowd has left before we even try to get out. The amphitheater empties pretty quickly, we walk out in comfort without having to be so careful and we actually don't get out of the park much later than if we left with the crowd. Another plus is that your trip out of the park by car or bus will be much less crowded. The first few buses leaving the park will be packed. By the time we get there, everyone usually gets a seat. We've also used a car and found that getting out early usually means waiting in line in your car to drive out.

To reply to the original question, do you need pass to get in our just use lane? Well let me tell you of our experience. I have MS and can not walk the parks or stay in the heat. I took a note from my doctor(it wan't nesscseary(sp) but I ffelt better) and went to quest relations at MK. I am so glad I did I received a CaC pass which allowed us to enter any ride as though we had a fast pass and let me tell yo they were checking, no pass no entry. I saw many a wheelchair waiting in line and not allowed any consideration.
The only ride we had difficulty with was a smm world. They make wheelchairs or any pass wait half way through the line, an then let them have access.(They were so rudenad condensending that I couldn't beleive it. If you have any condition where the heat, standing in line or a child who needs special consideration get the pass and get to small world early.

Thanks, SueM, for your detailed description. After I posted my previous questions, it occurred to me that it might be better to let most of the crowds leave first - and you confirmed that for me. Two of us will be in wheelchairs - one motorized, and one manual - plus my daughter (my w/c pusher), and my 14-year-old granddaughter who has ADHD and can easily get separated from us in a crowd - especially when she's tired at the end of a long day.

tammy/mom of two said:
To reply to the original question, do you need pass to get in our just use lane? Well let me tell you of our experience. I have MS and can not walk the parks or stay in the heat. I took a note from my doctor(it wan't nesscseary(sp) but I ffelt better) and went to quest relations at MK. I am so glad I did I received a CaC pass which allowed us to enter any ride as though we had a fast pass and let me tell yo they were checking, no pass no entry. I saw many a wheelchair waiting in line and not allowed any consideration.
The only ride we had difficulty with was a smm world. They make wheelchairs or any pass wait half way through the line, an then let them have access.(They were so rudenad condensending that I couldn't beleive it. If you have any condition where the heat, standing in line or a child who needs special consideration get the pass and get to small world early.
We had the same experience in early April with Small World. The guy was exceptionally rude and condescending.
In general, people who are using wheelchairs or ecvs don't need a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) and don't need anything besides a line that the wheelchair can go thru.
The exceptions where you do need a GAC are if the person has other needs that make just having an accessible line won't meet (like your situation) or sometimes children have special needs strollers that look too much like regular strollers and CMs won't let them use the special needs stroller in linne without a GAC.
And, I wanted to mention that not all GACs have the same message stamped on them. The message you get is based on your needs. Someone who just needs to avoid waiting in the sun will have a different stamp than someone who needs to avoid stairs or someone with a child with autism.
Also, if the wait in the standby (regular) line is 15 to 20 minutes or less, the CMs can ask you to just use the standby line (if the line is that short, there is little need for a GAC). They used to explain that to people and ask that the GAC not be used if the wait is that short (unless you need it for avoiding stairs, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter