? Regarding DVC rentals

LuvMy3Monkeys

Mouseketeer
I can't figure out the right place to put this, so I'll apologize in advance if this isn't allowed here.

We are headed to Give The Kids The World Village on <edited to remove dates> for a wish trip for my son. We are looking at extending our trip, and all of the larger rooms on property are out of our price range. I was told that renting "points" (?) for DVC is our best bet. Except, now that I'm using the mobile app on here, I can't search worth a darn and need some guidance.

Anybody care to point me in the right direction or explain to me how "points" work?

Thanks in advance!!

I can't figure out the right place to put this, so I'll apologize in advance if this isn't allowed here.

We are headed to Give The Kids The World Village on <edited to remove dates> for a wish trip for my son. We are looking at extending our trip, and all of the larger rooms on property are out of our price range. I was told that renting "points" (?) for DVC is our best bet. Except, now that I'm using the mobile app on here, I can't search worth a darn and need some guidance.

Anybody care to point me in the right direction or explain to me how "points" work?

Thanks in advance!!

I may not be very good at explaining this, but I'll try.

DVC is Disney Vacation Club (Deluxe Villas). When one is a DVC member, they purchase points. Each night is a certain number of points. Non-DVC owners can "rent" points from a. DVC owner, which essentially, means they are staying as a guest of the DVC owner. Each point rents for $10-$13 each. Sometimes, you can find distressed points for less, but I wouldn't count on that. DVC brokers, such as Davids, rent for $13 per point. To find less per point you need to rent directly from an owner. There is a whole DVC forum on here. You might get clearer, more detailed info on there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I love renting points:) We used the DVC rental store....You can rent a studio deluxe,1 bedroom,2 bedroom, or 3 bedroom villa. The only drawback is you can't take advantage of any offers they might be running (like free dining or resort discounts) and you can't get your money back if your trip plans change. But IMO I think the savings you get for staying in a deluxe outweighs the FD or resort dicount:) We have a full kitchen and are ordering groceries from Garden Grocer. There's the site I used and had no prblems at all with them:) But there's also Davids Vacation rentals that you can find on here. Good luck and have a great trip:goodvibes

I may not be very good at explaining this, but I'll try.

DVC is Disney Vacation Club (Deluxe Villas). When one is a DVC member, they purchase points. Each night is a certain number of points. Non-DVC owners can "rent" points from a. DVC owner, which essentially, means they are staying as a guest of the DVC owner. Each point rents for $10-$13 each. Sometimes, you can find distressed points for less, but I wouldn't count on that. DVC brokers, such as Davids, rent for $13 per point. To find less per point you need to rent directly from an owner. There is a whole DVC forum on here. You might get clearer, more detailed info on there.

As someone who is recently been enquiring about this i thought you did a nice job explaining it. :thumbsup2

As someone who is recently been enquiring about this i thought you did a nice job explaining it. :thumbsup2

Aw, thanks! I rent points all the time and understand it fully, but I've never tried explaining it to anyone else before. I'm sure that I left tons if stuff out (I should have mentioned asking for references if renting from an individual owner), but if I hit the basics, I'm happy!

We are headed to Give The Kids The World Village on Oct 27 for a wish trip for my son. We are looking at extending our trip, and all of the larger rooms on property are out of our price range. I was told that renting "points" (?) for DVC is our best bet. Except, now that I'm using the mobile app on here, I can't search worth a darn and need some guidance.

Thanks in advance!!

The problem you will have is the timing. October is very popular with members, so they booked their stays 11 months out. Which leaves very little availability for your time frame. A two bedroom villa (if that is what you are looking for) rented from a member is cheaper than renting directly from Disney. But not cheaper than the family suites or two value rooms.

some negatives:

- DVC studios (other than OKW) have 1 queen bed and 1 pullout sofabed (works great for couples but suboptimal if someone has to sleep on a sofabed.)

- DVC points stays do not include daily mousekeeping - for stays of a week or less, you get one trash and towel service and that's it. (some of us like not having mousekeeping in the villa.)

- there is typically no cancellation option for a points rental. if you can't make it, you cannot get your money back. (the owner may try to work with you but even their options may be limited.)

-you are not dealing with disney directly, and while there have only been rare instances of fraud, miscommunication is a possibility.

it's a great deal for staying in onsite resorts in great locations...but there can be trade-offs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter