Refused access to the World Showcase entrance to Epcot from Beach Club?

Ok, well then that good to know. People make honest mistakes, that is life, it happens. I remember checking in at the Beach Club this past June and the cast member checking us in had no idea that guest were given a special wristband just to enter the pool area, he thought your Magic Band sufficed.

You know, to me, that's not an honest mistake. That's a let down in the most basic of training. Just like the issue OP had was.
There aren't many basic rules that CM need for a given position. But in these cases, the one you encountered at BC, and the one OP encountered at Epcot, should have been told the basic of their positions in these cases.
At BC, anyone working there should be told that a guest will need a wristband for the pool. It should be one of the top 5 things you learn on day 1.
At Epcot, anyone working there should know that guests can exit IG. It should be one of the top 5 things you learn on day 1.
No excuses, zero tolerance to not learn it either.
Some rules are too important to not know to pass on and in the cases of these 2, they are on that list.

Huh, I didn't know they had implemented a special pool wristband at BC. In 2015 (admittedly, a few years ago now) we were able to use our magicbands to enter the pool area.

Huh, I didn't know they had implemented a special pool wristband at BC. In 2015 (admittedly, a few years ago now) we were able to use our magicbands to enter the pool area.
They have been issuing the special pool band for Storm Along Bay for a very long time now. There are times when they don’t bother with it, though, like during slow times or later in the evening.

Kind of like parking at BW for guests not staying there or who have ADR at BW restaurant, which is more about chasing non resort guest dollars I think.

You know, to me, that's not an honest mistake. That's a let down in the most basic of training. Just like the issue OP had was.
There aren't many basic rules that CM need for a given position. But in these cases, the one you encountered at BC, and the one OP encountered at Epcot, should have been told the basic of their positions in these cases.
At BC, anyone working there should be told that a guest will need a wristband for the pool. It should be one of the top 5 things you learn on day 1.
At Epcot, anyone working there should know that guests can exit IG. It should be one of the top 5 things you learn on day 1.
No excuses, zero tolerance to not learn it either.
Some rules are too important to not know to pass on and in the cases of these 2, they are on that list.

Yup. In every single job, day one is "don't harass anyone, don't discriminate, here's your W4 to fill out, and here are a couple of crucial, arguably common sense things you should know before we get into the details of your day to day."

Knowing that IG is a two way entrance to and from Epcot is one of those crucial, common sensethings.

You know what, I think ya'll are right. Knowing the info on the IG entrance should be just basic known common sense with Epcot, more than just an honest mistake. Maybe I was being a bit too forgiving on that one.

They have been issuing the special pool band for Storm Along Bay for a very long time now. There are times when they don’t bother with it, though, like during slow times or later in the evening.
We didn’t need one in December 2016 or during stays before, always just scanned our MB. And we went to the pool at all hours. Is this something implemented in the past year?

We didn’t need one in December 2016 or during stays before, always just scanned our MB. And we went to the pool at all hours. Is this something implemented in the past year?

First time we got a band was 2008. Also got them in 2011, 2014 and 2015.

We were given them in April 2010. That might have been our first stay there. Weather was rather cold and the pool wasn’t crowded. Still got the bands.

No, we were first at SAB in June 15 (the last year they did SWW) and they gave us wrist bands

Out of 3 stays we got bands for 2 of them. The trip we were not given bands there was also no one in the little guard shack the entire trip either. That was 1st week of Jan 2017, so would coincide with @rosiebean 's trip. I thought it was weird then and even mentionned it on the BC thread at the time.

Back in June I did notice at the very end of the night on our arrival night, say around 9 p.m., there was no one manning the gates to the pool, so anyone could have enjoyed a free swim for a couple hours before they closed up shop. But the next evening, when we were staying at the AKL, we ventured back over to the Beach Club to enjoy the pool for a few hours before closing and they did still have cast members manning the gates. So we got new wristbands for the last 2-3 hours the pool was open.

Back in June I did notice at the very end of the night on our arrival night, say around 9 p.m., there was no one manning the gates to the pool, so anyone could have enjoyed a free swim for a couple hours before they closed up shop. But the next evening, when we were staying at the AKL, we ventured back over to the Beach Club to enjoy the pool for a few hours before closing and they did still have cast members manning the gates. So we got new wristbands for the last 2-3 hours the pool was open.

Staffing problems?

We have done one trip at YC (Jan. 2017) and one at BC (Sept. 2017) and they weren't checking for wristbands at the pool on either trip. Well, if they were they weren't there when we were going to the pool between 2 pm - 3 pm daily.

I had heard that they give out wristbands but never saw them. We'll be back in 9.75 days at the YC. Maybe we'll get them this trip?

I have noticed that how strict they enforce wristbands at BC/YC is determined on how busy things are and how many cast members are working SB

During our trip in Dec 2017, I felt like we were going to have the same issue as the OP - we were in Epcot for EMH, and it was closing time (we were staying at the Boardwalk). After coming out of one of the gift shops towards the front half of the park, the CMs were directing all traffic towards the front gate and not allowing anyone to go towards the back half of the park (they had walkways roped off that prevented you from going back). We went around to the other side of the gift shop building, and thankfully there weren't any CMs there to rope off the walkway area, so we just ski-daddled over to the back half of the park. Once we got to the back half of the park, it was smooth sailing and none of the CMs that were leaving for the day questioned us as we headed towards the exit near IS. It's kind of pretty at night with all the lights on and nobody around (and just a tad eerie).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter