• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Refuse to give Disney your Finger-print?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BAG SEARCHES

The bag checks and the finger scanning slows down the crowds entering the parks.

There are many undercover security people watching us as we enter the parks. If you know where to look you would see all kinds of "hidden" security cameras.

I have seen more of those cameras in the parks then i anywhere I have vacation except maybe with the exception of Vegas.

Since 911 WDW is a no fly zone.
Disney has spent mega bucks on security since 9/11 and it would not surprise me at all if along with those Bioscans Disney has or will have in near future.security devices such as Bomb-sniffing technology (there are polymer devices already in use that can pick up on tiny trace amounts of explosive vapors from over 20 feet away).
Or the full body backscatter X-ray (which has already been tested at the Orlando airport).

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:
Don't forget that at the World of Disney they have Cast Members who dress as secret shoppers, who walk around the store in regular clothes that any guests would wear looking for people wanting to steal items. Since we don't know who the secret shoppers are, they are still there watching what we do.

eom
Please!!!!!!!!

Do you work in radio? That's a term we use in our radio station management software for END OF MATERIAL .. it's a code placed at the end of every audio recording in our computer system.

But I digress..

If someone comes to my house and I tell them they have to quack three times before they come in......can they sue me for violating their rights? No. This is private property. If you want to come in, you will quack. If you won't quack, you won't come in.

I SOOOO want to come to your house and just hang out. You sound fun!

Knox

:thumbsup2 We'd love to have ya!!! Although spring is not the ideal time to visit us. We live on a dairy farm and they just fertilized the fields with what I call "Cow pockey juice" :)

Smells about 10 times worse than the fresh stuff.

I did tell DH after I made that post that I think we should enact the "Quacking Policy" immediately. I tried to make DD14 and DS12 do it when they came home from school, but all I got was an eyeroll.

So...tonight's activity was putting an unwrapped Twinkie in DD14's shoe for her to find in the morning!! :thumbsup2

We get bored in the sticks. :laughing:

So...tonight's activity was putting an unwrapped Twinkie in DD14's shoe for her to find in the morning!!

We get bored in the sticks.

You are SO my kinda people.

Funny.. I grew up in a small town surrounded by farms.. so all my friends were 'farm' kids.. and I was the 'townie'.

I should somehow tie this post back to the original topic.. so .. We never had finger scans to ride the horses or get into the barn or hayloft.

:)

Knox

To also stay on topic....I wonder if a Twinkie would hold a fingerprint?

To get totally off topic.....THAT IS JUST TOO DARN FUNNY! Do the kids appreciate your humor? LOL

OH I almost forgot....

QUACK
QUACK
QUACK
Can I please come in now? This smell is just awful!

I don't really care that much. I just put in my ticket, do the finger thing, and am on my way. I see no reason to object.

To also stay on topic....I wonder if a Twinkie would hold a fingerprint?

To get totally off topic.....THAT IS JUST TOO DARN FUNNY! Do the kids appreciate your humor? LOL

OH I almost forgot....

QUACK
QUACK
QUACK
Can I please come in now? This smell is just awful!

:rotfl2:

To keep it on topic...My kids appreciate our humor as much as some people appreciate the finger scans at Disney!!!! ;)

I am so looking forward to the screech in the morning.

I am sure they'll be seeing a shrink in a couple of years with some sort of "twinkiphobia" :) They do like some of it. Like every year at Easter, we do Peep jousting in the microwave!

Am I the only one who thinks this thread has gone on long enough?
Probably not, but now we are just having fun.:lmao: Feel free to join in. Free Twinkies for those willing to be scanned. And we wont even put them in your shoes.

:rotfl2:

To keep it on topic...My kids appreciate our humor as much as some people appreciate the finger scans at Disney!!!! ;)

I am so looking forward to the screech in the morning.

I am sure they'll be seeing a shrink in a couple of years with some sort of "twinkiphobia" :) They do like some of it. Like every year at Easter, we do Peep jousting in the microwave!

Good Lord, you are my kind of ppl. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

every year at Easter, we do Peep jousting in the microwave!

:thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

That is great!! I might have to borrow/steal that idea from you. I know my oldest ds (6) would love that, although I think he would get bored with it before I would. :)

I should somehow tie this post back to the original topic.. so .. We never had finger scans to ride the horses or get into the barn or hayloft.

:)

Knox

Um.... spend much time in the hayloft, Knox??? Just curious! :woohoo: :woohoo:

:thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

That is great!! I might have to borrow/steal that idea from you. I know my oldest ds (6) would love that, although I think he would get bored with it before I would. :)

The giant Peeps expand pretty impressively, but they do not joust well. Just a little FYI. :rotfl:

I think we enjoy it slightly more than the kids. We have prizes and everything.

DS12 is currently the jousting champion. :banana:

Sorry to hijack thread, but DH LOVES Peeps and I neeeeed to know what exactly is Peep jousting?:banana:

Um.... spend much time in the hayloft, Knox??? Just curious! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Actually, YES... I did. :eek:

But tragically, I was actually moving hay to and fro .. and not shall we say.. "Making hay.."

Back to the topic at hand ... One thing from earlier came back to me.

According to their disclosure documents, Disney doesn't keep an actual picture of your finger. How could they turn over a picture they don't have to the government?

The 'digital number' derived from your finger is not unique to you. Not even close to unique. Just unique enough to make it improbable you could share tickets. That's all.

As I stated earlier, I don't object to the scans. I've seen first hand the various attempts at ticket scams, ticket sharing, partially used ticket sales etc. Some of these schemes are beyond the pale.

Anything that discourages that -- is A-OK in my book.

Knox

I have not previously seen a thread about this, which kind of suprises me.

Just wondering in general how people feel about giving your finger-print each time you enter one of the Disney theme parks.

I just personally, find this so objectionable. No person in our family has EVER given in to this practice and allowed our finger to be scanned in order to enter one of the parks.

I know Disney's official statement is that they do not take the actual finger-print, but rather a "digital picture" of the finger-print. As much as I love Disney, I cannot get comfortable with allowing them to take a digital picture of my finger-print. So we NEVER participate. Not the old way they did it with the measuring of two fingers or the new way where they actually take a digital scan of the finger-print.

Suprisingly, we have only ever had to argue with a CM about this one time. They called their manager over (at our request) who informed the CM we could enter without putting our finger in the scanner. But every other time the CM just smiles, pushes a button, and in we go.

I am not a big fan of the ACLU, but I know they have taken a vocal position against this Disney practice.

Anybody else refuse to do it? Ever had a problem refusing? Interested in knowing how other Dis'ers feel about the subject.

What are you afraid of--that someone's going to steal your fingerprint and then try to sell it on the black market? :confused3

What exactly do you think they are going to do with a copy of your print?

As I stated earlier, I don't object to the scans. I've seen first hand the various attempts at ticket scams, ticket sharing, partially used ticket sales etc. Some of these schemes are beyond the pale.

Anything that discourages that -- is A-OK in my book.

Knox

I agree.

The mutiday tickets are much more affordable than 8-10 years ago.

The finger scanners helped to lower the prices and I for one am very happy
that the new MYW passes makes Disney more affordable for those of us who enjoy longer stays! :thumbsup2

Peep Jousting- You take 2 marshmallow Peeps, the bunnies are great. Insert a toothpick where their Peep hands would be if they had them. Put the toothpicks in the opposite side of each peep....KWIM? So when they face, the toothpicks would not touch.

Stand them on a paper plate facing each other, with the toothpick of the opposing Peep about 1/2 inch away. Each of you has a Peep jouster (we do rounds...like the playoffs).

Put it in the microwave and fire it up!

Peeps expand when heated. So they will "move" toward each other. The first Peep to get stabbed by the other loses.

I hope this is somewhat clear.

And safety disclosure notice: Microwaved Peeps are VERY HOT.

We show our driver's licenses. I've never thought of it as a matter of "refusing" to show my passport or use the scanner.
We used the scanners on one trip and we had problems every time we tried to enter a park, so a gate CM told us we could just show ID. I'm not sure if we've ever been asked to show ID, we just always have it out and ready when we get to the turnstile and automatically show it. It's always worked fine, no big deal.

What are you afraid of--that someone's going to steal your fingerprint and then try to sell it on the black market? :confused3

What exactly do you think they are going to do with a copy of your print?

Never meant to give the impression that I was afraid to use the finger scanners. We are not afaid at all, just think its strange and over the top, and prefer not to participate.

No reason to be afraid of what they will do with my finger scan, because they will never have it.

Like many others who have posted since my original post, in accordance with Disney policy, we have our ID's ready - though have only ever been asked for them once. Its quick and painless. I don't have to give the scanners or what they do with the info a second thought, and we never have to deal with the scanners that make you scan over and over and over and over again.

Our family is just more comfortable doing it this way, its in accordance with WDW policy, and it gets us in quickly and effortlessly.

As other people have said, we do not give our phone number when asked at a retail store, we never give our Social Security Numbers to anyone, and we are not giving a finger scan of any kind to Disney. We just error on the side of caution, that's all.

But that does not stop us from going to WDW time after time after time and having a fantastic trip each and every visit:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter