Refuse Mousekeeping = Gift Cards (Good or Bad?)

KarenP64

Mouseketeer
We've heard that declining mousekeeping is unfair to the maids since they need the tips each day.

We've heard that declining mousekeeping is great for the maids because they're overworked.

Which is it? Thanks!

I'm sure there's not a straight answer for your question. I'd say there's probably a bit of truth in both, although they are in the process of raising the wages of housekeeping workers up to $15 per hour - I absolutely do not think that is a justification for not tipping them, because they work hard. But if the question is whether tips are the only reason they make a living wage, that will be less of a factor as the wages are raised.

I'm sure there's not a straight answer for your question. I'd say there's probably a bit of truth in both, although they are in the process of raising the wages of housekeeping workers up to $15 per hour - I absolutely do not think that is a justification for not tipping them, because they work hard. But if the question is whether tips are the only reason they make a living wage, that will be less of a factor as the wages are raised.
My question is not about tipping. We tip each day & LOVE mousekeeping! But, if it's hard on them to clean every room, then I don't want to make it hard on them. If it's part of the wage they count on & want to clean as many rooms as possible, then I want to help them by refusing the gift cards. Make sense?

My question is not about tipping. We tip each day & LOVE mousekeeping! But, if it's hard on them to clean every room, then I don't want to make it hard on them. If it's part of the wage they count on & want to clean as many rooms as possible, then I want to help them by refusing the gift cards. Make sense?
I wouldn't be surprised if they had to clean the same number of rooms everyday. So if they were normally assigned ten rooms and two of the rooms declined housekeeping, they would still have to clean ten rooms. The declined rooms wouldn't count in their room assignment. At least, that is what I would think would happen.

I get that, but they are employed for a number of hours, and if there isn't enough room cleaning to be done at one location, they will be sent elsewhere to work. Refusing mousekeeping is more helpful to Disney because they can redistribute their workforce.

We've heard that declining mousekeeping is unfair to the maids since they need the tips each day.

We've heard that declining mousekeeping is great for the maids because they're overworked.

Which is it? Thanks!
Well, the maid positions are paid a good wage so tipping is not expected. Nonetheless, lots of people decide to tip anyway.

Unfair? It’s your choice. Period. We now always take the gift card. I get clean towels everyday off of a maid cart and trade in the dirty stuff. Trash also. It’s easy and it saves 10.00 a day. Via the gift card. No brainer for us.

Last edited:

Which is it? Thanks!
There's a shortage of them. They are not loosing out on tips by not cleaning a few rooms. They still get their full share of rooms to clean each day. There's not been a reduction in hours. So where could they be loosing out on something?

Well, the maid positions are paid a good wage so tipping is not expected. Nonetheless, lots of people decide to tip anyway.
LOL.. so are my nail tech, brow tech and hair stylist. They sure get tips too.
Our society (here in the US at least) is direct service performed, you get a tip. Not sure how much they make comes in to play, does it? I've not ever taken that in to consideration at least.

LOL.. so are my nail tech, brow tech and hair stylist. They sure get tips too.
Our society (here in the US at least) is direct service performed, you get a tip. Not sure how much they make comes in to play, does it? I've not ever taken that in to consideration at least.

I worked as a housekeeper for a few years, not at Disney, both at a "value" hotel and a resort hotel. Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 rooms would tip. It was definitely not something that contributed in any significant way to my wages.

Which is it? Thanks!
I’ve worked in hotel management for 13 years. The only reason we would give guests money to decline housekeeping is because it’s less expensive to pay you to opt out than it is to pay a housekeeper to work. People forget even though a housekeeper is making $15/hour, they cost a company way more in insurance, training, uniforms, etc. I can assure you that the housekeepers where I work would rather work and make their hourly wage and maybe a tip than complain about being overworked. When we’re understaffed, which is often, we pay the housekeepers overtime.

We like to stay Deluxe so we can’t opt out, but we stayed at a value last month and we did not decline. In the thousands of dollars spent on a WDW vacation, what’s a $10/night gift card? Why punish a housekeeper who probably barely survives on her wage ($15/hour is not a “good” wage, come on) by taking a room from them, tip or not?

I’ve worked in hotel management for 13 years. The only reason we would give guests money to decline housekeeping is because it’s less expensive to pay you to opt out than it is to pay a housekeeper to work. People forget even though a housekeeper is making $15/hour, they cost a company way more in insurance, training, uniforms, etc. I can assure you that the housekeepers where I work would rather work and make their hourly wage and maybe a tip than complain about being overworked. When we’re understaffed, which is often, we pay the housekeepers overtime.

We like to stay Deluxe so we can’t opt out, but we stayed at a value last month and we did not decline. In the thousands of dollars spent on a WDW vacation, what’s a $10/night gift card? Why punish a housekeeper who probably barely survives on her wage ($15/hour is not a “good” wage, come on) by taking a room from them, tip or not?
Now THIS! is helpful, insightful advice! Thank you!

I think there may be a shortage of people who are willing to do that thankless job for the “good” wage which is why Disney is offering the opportunity to get a gift card, although that $10 per night can’t cover the wages and benefits IMO. I run payroll for our small businesses and every incremental raise an employee gets adds up a lot with the hidden costs the employer pays.

The problem is, being understaffed in housekeeping is only going to hurt the guest experience at Disney. It’s great that you pay housekeepers overtime, but if they can’t get to a room to clean it until late afternoon or early evening, then what’s the point?

The maids are not being punished at Disney with the gift card incentive if there is not enough people to do the work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter