Refrigerated medicine in the parks

queso2992

Mouseketeer
We're about to leave for our trip and of course, DS2 has double ear infections. He's feeling better, but he'll still be on his course of antibiotics. They require refrigeration AND a middle of day dose, so I was wondering if anyone has ever left meds in the baby care centers or first aid? I saw it is an option online, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience doing that. Thanks!

First Aid will hold medications if they have space. I do recommend making sure you have a back-up plan just in case -- a lunch bag with a baggie of ice from the resort plus wrap the medication in a washcloth or small towel so it doesn't freeze.

** Don't forget to stop at First Aid on your way out of the park to pick up the medication **

I would just decant the middle of the day dose and carry in a lunch box / small cooler with either a frozen water bottle or a Ziplock of ice. (loose ice isn't allowed) Alternately ask for a script for something that doesn't have to be refrigerated (probably too late for the OP)

We're about to leave for our trip and of course, DS2 has double ear infections. He's feeling better, but he'll still be on his course of antibiotics. They require refrigeration AND a middle of day dose, so I was wondering if anyone has ever left meds in the baby care centers or first aid? I saw it is an option online, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience doing that. Thanks!
How exacting time wise will you need it? You'll may have to trek a long way to get back to first aid.

How exacting time wise will you need it? You'll may have to trek a long way to get back to first aid.
This is a good point. He has to take it 3 times a day, so it's less about a specific time, but just generally first thing in the morning, middle of the day, and in the evening. I think we could easily run by FA/Baby Care when we were in the general vicinity. We'll be at HS, MK, and AK this trip. MK is relatively central in the park, and HS is way up front from what I've seen, so that's less convenient.

I would just decant the middle of the day dose and carry in a lunch box / small cooler with either a frozen water bottle or a Ziplock of ice. (loose ice isn't allowed) Alternately ask for a script for something that doesn't have to be refrigerated (probably too late for the OP)
That's also an idea I had about just taking a dose for midday. If I had the whole bottle at the park, I could go ahead and do his evening dose too before he fell asleep if we stayed late at the park. I was just concerned about it not staying cold enough for all day at the park in a small cooler. From what I read, it does require refrigeration; not just that it tastes better refrigerated like some other medicines.

I would hesitate to put the entire bottle at the first aide in case someone took the wrong bottle etc. - but that's just me, probably :) as I like control. Likewise, I probably wouldn't bring the entire bottle with me to the parks either.

They have the reusable single dose spoon with the lids so I would just fill up two and use a cooler, you can get fresh ice at any quick serve to replenish if/as it melts.

Hope your kiddo feels better and you have a great trip.

I would hesitate to put the entire bottle at the first aide in case someone took the wrong bottle etc. - but that's just me, probably :) as I like control. Likewise, I probably wouldn't bring the entire bottle with me to the parks either.

They have the reusable single dose spoon with the lids so I would just fill up two and use a cooler, you can get fresh ice at any quick serve to replenish if/as it melts.

Hope your kiddo feels better and you have a great trip.
Okay this sounds really promising. But googling it and I am not sure where I could get something like that quickly/easily? I'll keep looking, but if you have a suggestion on where to find it, let me know!
Also, good point about the ice from QS. I hadn't thought about that.

How about sticking the spoon and a small bag of ice in a travel coffee mug? we have a couple of contigo mugs that hold temperature really well. And you could always re-ice it with ice from a drink.

Last edited:
Okay this sounds really promising. But googling it and I am not sure where I could get something like that quickly/easily? I'll keep looking, but if you have a suggestion on where to find it, let me know!
Also, good point about the ice from QS. I hadn't thought about that.
if you can not find the spoons please make sure you have a second bottle so you are not bringing all with you to the park. that way you have some at room in case you forget to pick up at end of day or someone picks up wrong bottle as yours will not be the only one there. I say this from a different situation but same results ie daycare

A dosing syringe is another option. Your pharmacist should be able to give you an extra (empty) bottle and an extra copy of your prescription label.
see
10 Pack 20ml Plastic Syringe, with Cap,Large Syringes Tools Catheter Tip Individually Sealed with Measurement for Scientific Labs, Measuring Liquids, Feeding Pets, Medical Student, Dispensing,No Needle.
https://a.co/d/brww7d1

I think the easiest thing would be for the middle of the day dose keep in the oral syringe. (Definitely can get extra from any pharmacy but the little tip at the end will be hard to find at a retail pharmacy for free but if you go to a compounding pharmacy they will probably give to you for free.) Then you can just rinse out the oral syringe with water by pulling up and squirting out the water at the end of the day. If it's too late to find an oral syringe with stopper you can use any little plastic bottle to keep your midday dose. (Like I've used an extra bottle. But the small short kind so it's easy to pull up the dose.) And an ice pack in a lunch bag should be good. (I'm a retail pharmacist)

I carry insulin, generally is a small insulated bag which fits in a large pocket or belt pack. A small ice pack or frozen water bottle works fine ti keep it cool, and I have it with me when needed, instead of having to travel to get it

You already got some other good suggestions.
Check the temperature requirement with the Pharmacist. Depending on the antibiotic, it may just need to be kept cool, not at refrigerator temperature. Sometimes the temperature is to make it taste better, not for storage. If that's the case, you have more options.

You already got some other good suggestions.
Check the temperature requirement with the Pharmacist. Depending on the antibiotic, it may just need to be kept cool, not at refrigerator temperature. Sometimes the temperature is to make it taste better, not for storage. If that's the case, you have more options.
Thank you! This particular antibiotic required refrigeration.

Here's the update for anyone who needs to know this information in the future.
Our flight to MCO was delayed 6+ hours, so when we finally arrived, we got a rental car and drove straight to DHS. Due to the flight delay, the cold pack wasn't very cold anymore, so I decided to leave the medicine at First Aid. It was a simple process: just fill out a form with some basic information and give them the medicine. I checked with the nurse to make sure they'd still be there after the 9:30 Fantasmic ended (park closed at 9:00). She said yes, they stay until after the last Fantasmic. As we were walking in the mass of people out of the park later that night, I looked at my phone and saw I had just missed a call from an Orlando number. They left a message saying the First Aid people were leaving at 10:15 and if I wasn't there in time, they'd leave it at Guest Relations. Well, at that moment, it was 10:15. I hustled to First Aid; they were already closed. I went to Guest Relations and as the CM went to check for me, the FA people came in to leave it. I was able to grab the medicine and go.

The next day, I took a syringe filled with the appropriate dose for midday. I was able to get a small cap for the syringe at a local pharmacy. This way, only one dose had to stay semi-cool and the rest of the bottle was able to stay in the hotel refrigerator.

Thanks for all the help!

Thank you! This particular antibiotic required refrigeration.

Here's the update for anyone who needs to know this information in the future.
Our flight to MCO was delayed 6+ hours, so when we finally arrived, we got a rental car and drove straight to DHS. Due to the flight delay, the cold pack wasn't very cold anymore, so I decided to leave the medicine at First Aid. It was a simple process: just fill out a form with some basic information and give them the medicine. I checked with the nurse to make sure they'd still be there after the 9:30 Fantasmic ended (park closed at 9:00). She said yes, they stay until after the last Fantasmic. As we were walking in the mass of people out of the park later that night, I looked at my phone and saw I had just missed a call from an Orlando number. They left a message saying the First Aid people were leaving at 10:15 and if I wasn't there in time, they'd leave it at Guest Relations. Well, at that moment, it was 10:15. I hustled to First Aid; they were already closed. I went to Guest Relations and as the CM went to check for me, the FA people came in to leave it. I was able to grab the medicine and go.

The next day, I took a syringe filled with the appropriate dose for midday. I was able to get a small cap for the syringe at a local pharmacy. This way, only one dose had to stay semi-cool and the rest of the bottle was able to stay in the hotel refrigerator.

Thanks for all the help!
Many thanks for the update! You'll help many other guests in future.

Thanks for all the help!
Was the hotel refrigerator cold enough? The beverage-cooler style ones at the onsite resorts weren't very cold when we were there.

Was the hotel refrigerator cold enough? The beverage-cooler style ones at the onsite resorts weren't very cold when we were there.
It was ehh. Probably not really cold enough, but it at least stayed cool. I thought about asking if they had an actual refrigerator, but it was only a 2 day trip, so it wasn't really worth it to me. The medicine was set to be finished before we actually left, anyway.

It definitely did not freeze the reusable ice pack I had. The ice pack was then essentially worthless, but a bag of ice would have worked well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter