Refresh strategy - short version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thanks. But I was thinking of why for someone at a park on a given day looking for another FP, why there could be so many variations of availability. It can only be due to people who are or will be at WDW today.

Unless there are a lot of people sitting somewhere away from WDW messing with the system.

When you have a group working together it becomes a contest. "OK, who can find a set of FP's for Big Thunder while we wait here for Haunted Mansion? 1,2,3 go..."

For us this method is entirely hit or miss.

For example, on our last trip, we tried for 2 hours from 4pm to 6pm on or drive into WDW to snag a night time Space Mountain. Couldn't get anything. That's for a family of 5. I refreshed probably an average of 10 times a minute, so 1200 refreshes in that time span.

During that trip, while in line for Soarin, after just 2 refreshes a Test Track popped up that we couldn't get earlier. This brings me to the conclusion that a fair amount of luck is required. Especially for a party of 5.

For us this method is entirely hit or miss.

For example, on our last trip, we tried for 2 hours from 4pm to 6pm on or drive into WDW to snag a night time Space Mountain. Couldn't get anything. That's for a family of 5. I refreshed probably an average of 10 times a minute, so 1200 refreshes in that time span.

During that trip, while in line for Soarin, after just 2 refreshes a Test Track popped up that we couldn't get earlier. This brings me to the conclusion that a fair amount of luck is required. Especially for a party of 5.

Divide your group into 2 and 3 then look for overlapping times. That works for us as we are a group of 5 normally.

Unless there are a lot of people sitting somewhere away from WDW messing with the system.

As one of those people, yes, there are some out there doing that. Not to mess with anyone but to poke and prod the system and see what works and what is possible. It's not a huge number of people but we are out there. Anyone with an AP or separately booked tickets can do that. Most are doing catch and release FPs though.

But people making their 30 and 60 day can impact the system because they are using bandwidth. I assume that's one of the reasons why they have the FP window start before the parks open.

Does this work for popular rides like FOP SOARIN TT etc

In general, yes. Better for Soarin and TT than FOP. If an FP comes up so infrequently that your don't see it very often you are not likely to get an overlapping time. I saw FOP twice all day through all the refreshing I did (although I was looking for 5 most of the time). But if you're willing to have your party go on the rides at separate times (which I totally would for FOP) it's probably worth doing that way anyway.

Does this work for popular rides like FOP SOARIN TT etc

It can... obviously there is greater chance for a reservation for 2 or 3 to come open than for 5+...at least it seems obvious to me. Anyway, it has worked for us although not often for FOP.

So I'm going in March, should I just move my first fast pass for each day to 9 am? And then after the first fastpass modify the rest? Or should I move all 3 to morning times?

So I'm going in March, should I just move my first fast pass for each day to 9 am? And then after the first fastpass modify the rest? Or should I move all 3 to morning times?

Everyone does it differently, esp if park hopping. If you are wanting to try the refresh strategy right away, then yes, stack them as early as possible (and as much as it makes sense; you don't really want to run from one side of the park to another), after tapping into the first ride, start trying to move up the other 2, and repeat. Some don't even make FP's prior to park day.

Everyone does it differently, esp if park hopping. If you are wanting to try the refresh strategy right away, then yes, stack them as early as possible (and as much as it makes sense; you don't really want to run from one side of the park to another), after tapping into the first ride, start trying to move up the other 2, and repeat. Some don't even make FP's prior to park day.
Awesome! Seems like after first one I can right away move second fast pass to much earlier time?

If only I could get the MDE app to work! We are going the week before Easter for the first time, so I don't know the likelihood of any FPs being available same day during such a busy time. It would be nice to try though!

Awesome! Seems like after first one I can right away move second fast pass to much earlier time?

It does depend on which rides you have lined up; so if your tier 1 is first, you are more likely to be able to "move up" a tier 2. And it helps if you are flexible with what you ride when. Don't forget, it's not always seamless, so don't give up your FP's you already have til you have a replacement lined up (the app makes you confirm, just don't cancel it first.) The main thing about tapping in is it frees up that hour that was previously blocked out, so you can see if either of your other 2 are immediately available. It also depends on your group size; it's a lot easier with refresh for 1 than for 5.

So I'm going in March, should I just move my first fast pass for each day to 9 am?

I would not... That early most rides are walk on, with the exception FOP, Slinky, Seven Dwarfs... We usually start our first FP+ window at 10:00.

I would not... That early most rides are walk on, with the exception FOP, Slinky, Seven Dwarfs... We usually start our first FP+ window at 10:00.
Remember--if your first FP is 9:00 to 10:00 am, you can hop on at 950/959 within the hour window.....or as late as 10:15 am using the grace period built into the FP touchpoint software.

Sorry to maybe sound like a jerk (I am not being one I promise hahaha) but I assumed this is just what everyone does. I never read anything about these strategies until recently; it is just the way we have always operated when going to disney. I am surprised that everyone doesnt already do this sort of thing just by default (or maybe thats just me being a crazy person).

Personally I start my FP's at 9AM and have them back to back. Depending on the park we will either wait until close to 10 to do the 1st and 2nd FP's back to back and then move up the third, or we'll start using FP's immediately to get through our tier 2 FP's.

Sorry to maybe sound like a jerk (I am not being one I promise hahaha) but I assumed this is just what everyone does. I never read anything about these strategies until recently; it is just the way we have always operated when going to disney. I am surprised that everyone doesnt already do this sort of thing just by default (or maybe thats just me being a crazy person).
You'd be surprised at the number of folks out there who either don't know or don't understand the importance/value of refreshing. Most folks would probably try once and say "Guess it's all booked up...oh well" and not think to check multiple times factoring in cancellations and the fluidity of the FP+ system.

You'd be surprised at the number of folks out there who either don't know or don't understand the importance/value of refreshing. Most folks would probably try once and say "Guess it's all booked up...oh well" and not think to check multiple times factoring in cancellations and the fluidity of the FP+ system.
It's so awesome! So for a lot of the rides, just by refreshing for a few minutes you can get a fastpass that is not too far out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter