• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reflections of my recent Trip - Including getting a BG

Rich M

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our 5th trip on our current FlexPass AP's and I wanted to give my reflections on it. This was a very quick trip for us as we flew in to LAX late Thursday night and flew home late Saturday night. We stayed at Anaheim Majestic for both nights.

Friday - This was our first morning and the one we wanted to try to get a BG for RotR. Our flight was delayed so didn't get to bed until 2 AM and we had the alarm set for 6AM. We ended up leaving the hotel at 6:45AM and walked to DtD. Security line was backed up deep because they choose to have one line open. We got through security and was at Starbucks around 7:15. We got our goodies and walked to the front to get in line to enter the park and saw the line was backed up all the way to DCA. We got in line at 7:39 and was through the gate by 7:47 which we thought was great as the lines was moving very quick. We got on the app to book our first MP so we could make sure everyone was in the park and got one for Space Mountain. We decided to head to the teacups when my GS said I want to go on the teacups as it was his favorite but we noticed they help everyone back and didn't let us through until 7:55 so we decided to just wait to try to get a BG. Two of us (My sister and myself) on Iphone X with AT&T stood in front of the Plaza Restaurant as we had a full signal there. My son had his watch set with seconds on it so we could time it. When 8 rolled around we tried to get a BG which I could not get it to load but luckily my sister was able to and got us BG 79. We were thrilled to get a guarantee one and cheered with everyone else who was successful. My thoughts on this process is I like how if you are in by 8 you have a chance. i think Disney is doing a great job in getting everyone through the gates quickly to make sure you have a shot.

After we got the BG we decided to go to the tea cups as requested and they weren't open but Matterhorn was open so the adults minus my sister and I went there while I took my GS to Dumbo. After Dumbo we hit Tea Cups in which he rode twice. After that we headed to SM and I headed to Buzz with my GS. I don't intend to tell everyone everything we did but I am right here to point out all the stuff we got to do in the first hour. I tell everyone that ask me about Disneyland that it pays to be up early to get so much accomplished. We actually ended up getting 4 FP during the morning hours and was able to hit SM, BTM, MH, and Indiana Jones all before 12. The crowds were not bad at all once you got away from the mass amount of people getting BG. Our plan was to watch World of Color that evening so we waited to start getting FP until they reached the evening time. Now this is very difficult to do when you have no clue when your BG would be called. We monitored them BG and decided we would take a RSR FP at 5:50 to 6:50 hoping it would work out and then make other FP for around the same time. We decided to head back to our rooms around 12:30.

After a rest at the hotel and monitoring the BG we saw it was getting close so we took the hotel shuttle back at 4:30 and our BG got called around 4:50 so I figured we had a great shot of making our FP over at CA but at this point we had RSR, TSMM, Guardians, and IncrediCoaster all with in a three hour window so I knew it would close since we didn't know how long it would take for RotR. So as requested by my GS I waited with him as everyone else went on the ride since he was too scared to go on even though he is tall enough. We got a child swap in case I wanted to go but it took almost 45 minutes for them to get off and I didn't want my GS to sit any longer as he laughed, cried, and threw a tantrum during this time so we left and went to CA. We ended up making 2 out of our 4 FP at CA and then went and ate at Flo's before World of Color. World of Color was a great show that I had not seen since the update.

After the show we went back to Disneyland as my GS was wide awake and wanted to ride some rides as the rest of us were dragging our butts behind him. He got to go on Autopia, Rockets, Tea Cups x2 and Dumbo in the last hour before we decided to head out. He wanted to ride "the caterpillar" but the line was just too long. He does not do well with long lines. So we put him in the stroller after he was jumping around and we headed to main street and before we could even get to the statue he was out cold. We took the shuttle back to the room.

Saturday - We did not want to get in the mess of the BG again today so we decided we would go to CA around 10 AM leaving the hotel around 9 to stop at starbucks and take the walk. We like taking the walk and scanning in at the Monorail and then grabbing our coffee. My first goal today was getting my GS on TSMM. So that was the first pass we got and was kind of surprised it wasn't until 12. So we took our time going in and decided to head to the Lunar New Year Area and try some of the dishes. Everything we tried was really good but expensive for the amount of food you get. We stayed at CA until around 4PM and ended up getting FP for Guardians, IncrediCoaster, and RSR, RSR we got really lucky and one for 6 came up with in a 10 minute window. We actually got my GS on this time but he cried the whole time. We try to remind him he doesn't like to go fast but he doesn't seem to remember until we get on the ride and then it looks like we are torturing the poor kid. After RSR we went to IncrediCoaster to find the coaster stopped on the tracks and people walking off of it so we used our anytime FP for Soarin instead and while in like I got another FP for IncrediCoaster incase it opened before we had to leave but it did not. We headed to the airport around 4.

Overall it was a great trip and only one big ride not ridden. We love our Flex Pass and can not live without MP. This might be our last trip on these current passes and have not decided if we will renew but I kind of want to see the Avengers Campus so might just do it. I would also like to take my GS during Halloween so I might just do it.

Last note, I love Mobile ordering. It saves so much time. We only had one problem with it and that was ordering a beer from Bayside because it never told us it was ready and when we got over there the line had 7 people deep which is rare for mobile ordering for us.

Thanks for sharing your visit. we’ll be going in a few weeks using our FP for the first time, and I’m starting to think about our schedule. As much as we’d like to ride RoTR, I’m not sure we’ll be able to handle the crowds. We’ve got 2 toddlers and a teen, so early and patient aren’t a likely combination. :sunny: But we might try it. I hadn’t thought about timing other FPs , good point!

where were you staying? We’re booked at the candy cane inn and they have a shuttle but are also walking distance. I notice you mentioned walking or riding and wonder if you stayed there too?

Glad you got good use out of your passes! I hope to too!

Thanks for sharing your visit. we’ll be going in a few weeks using our FP for the first time, and I’m starting to think about our schedule. As much as we’d like to ride RoTR, I’m not sure we’ll be able to handle the crowds. We’ve got 2 toddlers and a teen, so early and patient aren’t a likely combination. :sunny: But we might try it. I hadn’t thought about timing other FPs , good point!

where were you staying? We’re booked at the candy cane inn and they have a shuttle but are also walking distance. I notice you mentioned walking or riding and wonder if you stayed there too?

Glad you got good use out of your passes! I hope to too!

I think if you can try one day I recommend it. My GS is 4 so its not easy to get him up especially after a late night but the amount of rides he can do at his age and the fact that there is not many of them with FP makes us get up early to go on the rides he loves.

We stayed at Majestic Garden which is a little walk and has a shuttle but we have stayed at Candy Cane before and choose to walk to the parks in the morning also. We like Majestic because not many people walk from there so the walk is very peaceful and the lines to get through security at Downtown Disney are usually a lot less then on Harbor. We like to hit the Starbucks there and scan into the park at the Monorail so we can start using our MaxPass right away. We usually end up taking the free shuttle back to the room as we are normally too tired to walk back unless we hit Earl of Sandwich.

You will have a great time just make sure you utilize Max Pass as it completely changes your trip for the better. Remember to do Child Swap on rides the toddlers can't go on that your husband and you both want to go and your teenager will benefit the most with getting to go on twice. Even when using your MP for rides like Space and the thrill rides get FP for the toddlers and then your teenager can ride multiple times. Even though my GS doesn't go on them we get a FP for him so that when we do the Child Swap others can come on with us.

Thank you!
we were there for NYE and enjoyed max pass and baby swap a lot! My 3yo is pretty tall so he can ride space and big thunder, but we definitely use his MP for FPs too. With the annual pass and more visits on the horizon I think it’ll be a nice change of pace not to feel pressured to pack it all in. We’re usually rope drop people, it’ll be nice to just go when we feel like it (except that day we try to get on ROTR). If we can’t do it we’ll live, and are planning to be back the end of April.

this trip is a celebration for the adoption of our 2yo daughter, so we’re gonna be toddler focused (who are we kidding? We’re always toddler focused!) and not worry too much about hitting bIG rides. with MP and hopefully not too crazy crowded, we should do fine. It’s all magical to me :).

Thank you!
we were there for NYE and enjoyed max pass and baby swap a lot! My 3yo is pretty tall so he can ride space and big thunder, but we definitely use his MP for FPs too. With the annual pass and more visits on the horizon I think it’ll be a nice change of pace not to feel pressured to pack it all in. We’re usually rope drop people, it’ll be nice to just go when we feel like it (except that day we try to get on ROTR). If we can’t do it we’ll live, and are planning to be back the end of April.

this trip is a celebration for the adoption of our 2yo daughter, so we’re gonna be toddler focused (who are we kidding? We’re always toddler focused!) and not worry too much about hitting bIG rides. with MP and hopefully not too crazy crowded, we should do fine. It’s all magical to me :).

That is great. We took my GS to Disney World for is 2nd birthday and to Disneyland for his 3rd and 4th. He is big for his age and could go on most rides but is too scared to try most things. I have been to DL so many times that I love going with him and seeing his reactions to each ride and seeing his joy. Its like a whole new experience and looking at DL in a whole new light. It is as you say Magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter