Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I think Riviera is not a must have for many people. The high points don't justify what you get perhaps? And I wondered why they built it where they did. I wouldn't have ever thought of a fancy DVC resort that commands a lot points would be sitting next to a moderate resort. Was Disney just desperate?

And I think Riviera is not a must have for many people. The high points don't justify what you get perhaps? And I wondered why they built it where they did. I wouldn't have ever thought of a fancy DVC resort that commands a lot points would be sitting next to a moderate resort. Was Disney just desperate?
I think a lot of the issues are the resale restrictions. It looks like a very nice resort and it has easy access to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. Those two things along probably would have made it sell well without the restrictions. I also wonder if there's a point where Disney will reach saturation on the DVC market. I'd imagine there are only so many people with both the interest and financial resources to by in to DVC.

I hope it’s not flat out canceled, I was really looking forward to this one. We were looking to add on and Riviera just did not do it for us.

For the people saying Reflections looked ”generic” I’d recommend they look at the architect Frank Lloyd Wright. To me, this hotel looked very much so based off of Frank Lloyd Wright’s style, and he was quite well known for incorporating nature into his designs (see his Fallingwater house. in Buffalo, NY).

I think a lot of the issues are the resale restrictions. It looks like a very nice resort and it has easy access to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. Those two things along probably would have made it sell well without the restrictions. I also wonder if there's a point where Disney will reach saturation on the DVC market. I'd imagine there are only so many people with both the interest and financial resources to by in to DVC.
Right. I forgot that. I am really just surprised how they have it located next to CBR, and I love CBR. But you know they did the same thing with GDT at CSR. I am not a fan of where Disney placed them, but I bet it all came down to the dollar. But could this be the way of the future? Will they tear down some buildings at the POR and POFQ resorts and put DVC there?

I hope this resort is shut down like the second half of Pop Century and they get some time to rethink the concept.

I LOVE Ft. Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. I have grown up at FW since it opened in 1971 and it is the most unique special resort on property. It has a very different "vibe" then the rest of the resorts on property. If you have never stayed there, its hard to describe.

Reflections looks nice. It also looks like any other generic hotel you can find anywhere in the US. It looks like it was designed by a bunch of people in an office in California that have never even spent one night at FW. That resort looks like any new resort on I Drive. It doesn't even look very Disney. (Wilderness Lodge, Poly, GF, Boardwalk, etc.) This huge generic resort on top of FW could really do permanent damage to the Fort's vibe. Buildings last a long time, especially timeshares. With all the land they have, I can't believe they are building this on the campground beach.

I understand that is prime Real Estate and it a business. I'm always happy to see a new resort at WDW. If they get it right, it could really be special. But this doesn't look very "Special" or "Disney". Something along the lines of the old Wild West Riverfront town "Buffalo Junction" Resort concept they developed in the 90s seems like it would have been a perfect fit for that area. Maybe they can circle back to those ideas if it's on the shelf long enough.

I could not agree more. The property is big and I doubt it will be noticeable from the campgrounds themselves. But this area is the main place most guest visit when they venture out of their cabin/camper and it just really would kill the vibe.

I could not agree more. The property is big and I doubt it will be noticeable from the campgrounds themselves. But this area is the main place most guest visit when they venture out of their cabin/camper and it just really would kill the vibe.
Well I haven't thought about that but ya, that could happen. I loved the thought of the pool area and lazy river for this resort, but I can see why some are glad it is on hold, cancelled, one or the other. On our trip last year we made the treck to FW for the very first time in about 13 trips. My husband loved it. It was nice, but it is very similar as to how we live at home, and I like something different.

Right. I forgot that. I am really just surprised how they have it located next to CBR, and I love CBR. But you know they did the same thing with GDT at CSR. I am not a fan of where Disney placed them, but I bet it all came down to the dollar. But could this be the way of the future? Will they tear down some buildings at the POR and POFQ resorts and put DVC there?
If Disney wants more DVC money to expand the Skyliner, they might.

If Disney wants more DVC money to expand the Skyliner, they might.
Right. I wouldn't put it past them. GDT is supposed to blend in, I don't know yet, but Riveria looks like to me that it stands out like a sore thumb. I have never desired to stay at the Grand or the Contemporary, and I will add Riveria to that list. But for others these could very well be their favorites.

I hope it’s not flat out canceled, I was really looking forward to this one. We were looking to add on and Riviera just did not do it for us.

For the people saying Reflections looked ”generic” I’d recommend they look at the architect Frank Lloyd Wright. To me, this hotel looked very much so based off of Frank Lloyd Wright’s style, and he was quite well known for incorporating nature into his designs (see his Fallingwater house. in Buffalo, NY).
Graycliff near Buffalo was basically Wright’s rough draft of Fallingwater, and is very cool in and of its own right, but the actual Fallingwater house is outside of Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

I think most of the discontent is ALL about the location. The building is ok...just not there. On TOP of the campground. That is a very popular area where everyone at the Fort hangs out and watches the MK Fireworks and water parade from the beach, etc. That will be covered by a hotel and the beach will be covered by private cabins. If you don't stay at Ft. Wilderness, you wouldn't get any of that. You just say, cool, a new resort on the lake. But It will definitely change the the settlement area of The Fort. That's why people are so upset. Just move it down the lake a little bit.

I think most of the discontent is ALL about the location. The building is ok...just not there. On TOP of the campground. That is a very popular area where everyone at the Fort hangs out and watches the MK Fireworks and water parade from the beach, etc. That will be covered by a hotel and the beach will be covered by private cabins. If you don't stay at Ft. Wilderness, you wouldn't get any of that. You just say, cool, a new resort on the lake. But It will definitely change the the settlement area of The Fort. That's why people are so upset. Just move it down the lake a little bit.
Well, that probably won't be changing for at least five years now, if ever.

Totally understand the feeling. Do you have interest in Disneyland? That tower seems to be still going forward. We’re targeting that one since that’s the only property I’d be confident about being able to re-sell even with the restrictions.

we love visiting Disneyland, we have reservations For New Years this year. But, our primary goal for DVC is for all of the special occasions we celebrate at Disney World. And having DVC would give us a guarantee NYE roo. We live in Tampa and extended weekends would be great.

we love visiting Disneyland, we have reservations For New Years this year. But, our primary goal for DVC is for all of the special occasions we celebrate at Disney World. And having DVC would give us a guarantee NYE roo. We live in Tampa and extended weekends would be great.
If you were looking at buying more than 100 points, it might make the most sense to buy 100 points direct at the new Disneyland Hotel tower (assuming it gets built) and then buy a resale contract for one of the Disney World resorts.

Disney clearly has been scared off by the sluggish Riviera sales. It has underperformed by 30% compared to CCV. The telling sign is the spike in direct purchases of the classic resorts late last year. Obviously the resale restrictions are the main culprit here. With the Reflections cancellation, it looks like Disney's play here is to take back contacts and continue to sell them which will further hurt Riviera sales. It won't be long until we are looking at $300/point at some resorts.

Disney clearly has been scared off by the sluggish Riviera sales. It has underperformed by 30% compared to CCV. The telling sign is the spike in direct purchases of the classic resorts late last year. Obviously the resale restrictions are the main culprit here. With the Reflections cancellation, it looks like Disney's play here is to take back contacts and continue to sell them which will further hurt Riviera sales. It won't be long until we are looking at $300/point at some resorts.
Not to mention Riviera just isn’t a desirable resort to some people. I know there are a few people I have spoken to who are still deathly afraid of the Skyliner and wouldn’t want to stay at Riviera, let alone buy there, due to the reliance on the Skyliner.

This is a point I used to kick around with LockedoutLogic back in the day.

If you get a measurable percentage of the faithful WDW visitors into a DVC what happens when the economy changes? Did Disney lock a bunch of people into every other year trips during a bad economy and does that conversely take away the consumer that filled the resort rooms during an economic downturn?

Then what happens if a bunch of DVC owners default in a major recession?

Last edited:
Not to mention Riviera just isn’t a desirable resort to some people. I know there are a few people I have spoken to who are still deathly afraid of the Skyliner and wouldn’t want to stay at Riviera, let alone buy there, due to the reliance on the Skyliner.
Deal-breaker drawbacks at Riviera (IMHO):
  1. Resale Restrictions
  2. Points chart
  3. Maintenance Fees
</list>
The Skyliner is a selling point, and in fact, I would hope they were planning on including one at Reflections - that is if they intend for it to have the same deal-breaker drawbacks as Riviera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter