Refillable Mugs = Still worth it ?

I say no. Last trip we ordered soda, seltzer etc via Instacart and had it delivered to the resort. We were at AoA so had a fridge. Our entire grocery order (including sandwich fixings, snacks etc) was less than 5 refillable mugs.
Yup! Do this all the time with the kitchenettes the DVC rooms have, even have cabinets to store it all in.
Then I take that savings and we buy 2 refillable mugs. The kids love them, running back and forth for refills is a thing, and they're safe out on the pool deck.

Disney is filled with tons of useless junk to buy. I don't do junk. The mugs are actually useful for us because we use them at home and they hold great memories.

I still miss the resort specific ones they used to have. Our POR and WL designs have worn off. The new 50th designs are pretty cool.

I don't understand this argument. At home you each have what you like to drink, right? So why not bring X number of whatever you each like -- it's a huge savings.
I said "easier", not "cheaper". And since checked bags are $46 dollars each and even one drink per day per person for eight days would take a significant amount of space and weight, the mugs may be cheaper, as well.

I said "easier", not "cheaper". And since checked bags are $46 dollars each and even one drink per day per person for eight days would take a significant amount of space and weight, the mugs may be cheaper, as well.
In fairness to their point, they’re suggesting ordering groceries, not bringing it in luggage. But I fully agree that there’s more to the value than just cost (I mean, even ordering groceries itself has a certain level of inconvenience). I think OP’s three days is just short enough that the value is maybe not there, but I also assume they acknowledge some value in the mug, or else they wouldn’t have asked.
I mean, we’re talking about Disney and a vacation in general. If nothing else, there’s some value just in not worrying about being frugal on every aspect of the vacation. There are far more egregious cash grabs at Disney resorts, and the mugs at least are not a total ripoff, which might be the best deal you can get there.

As a side example, we find paying $4 for a half gallon of milk to be one of the best values at our resort. That’s ridiculously expensive compared to a store, but it allows us to pack some cereal and have a relatively cheap breakfast with very little extra effort.

Last edited:

In fairness to their point, they’re suggesting ordering groceries, not bringing it in luggage. But I fully agree that there’s more to the value than just cost (I mean, even ordering groceries itself has a certain level of inconvenience). I think OP’s three days is just short enough that the value is maybe not there, but I also assume they acknowledge some value in the mug, or else they wouldn’t have asked.
I mean, we’re talking about Disney and a vacation in general. If nothing else, there’s some value just in not worrying about being frugal on every aspect of the vacation. There are far more egregious cash grabs at Disney resorts, and the mugs at least are not a total ripoff, which might be the best deal you can get there.

As a side example, we find paying $4 for a half gallon of milk to be one of the best values at our resort. That’s ridiculously expensive compared to a store, but it allows us to pack some cereal and have a relatively cheap breakfast with very little extra effort.
My previous response was to an earlier suggestion about ordering. I said it didn't make sense for my family of five since we all drink different things. The mugs are easier. PP then suggested that since (assuming) we already have a variety of beverages at home, we could save money by bringing them with us. Maybe cheaper, maybe not, but definitely not easier.

I agree that if OP is basing value on cost of drinks alone, a mug will probably not make sense for a three day trip. I also agree that the overpriced milk is a good deal (comparatively), but I live in PA, so I'm used to high milk prices

Depends on how you define value.

Based on my cost recent trips which were short in length they did not make sense, and since I drive down I simply brought my drinks with me.

However, I still have Mara and Dixie Landing's mugs that I still use to this day. They paid for themselves on the first trip they were purchased for and the sentimental value for me has far exceeded the monetary cost. In this case - definitely yes!

Like many vacation decisions it is a personal choice.

Refillable mugs can be souvenirs but if you've been before and have gotten them before then it could just be added clutter or you could just like having different designs. That's a value there (like having different designs) or a non-value (added clutter).

For the short amount of time there you may feel like you have to fill up just to get the monetary value of it, it's easier to not tally that up if you're there for longer. Someone made a good point about filling up in the morning and after coming back from the parks. That's going to be how you tour, do you need that drink in the morning before you leave and do you come back early enough for that to make it worthwhile to fill up.

From what you said I don't think it would be worth buying unless you're looking at it from a souvenir position.

While the mugs were purchased for the "Length of your stay", but I think they were activated for 30 days. So, if you had a return trip in less than 30 days, you could get two years out of it. They also work at all of the resorts, not just the one you purchased it at.
Are they really active for 30 days now? We have a family trip planned 11/23-11/28 and then just DH & I (for a friends birthday celebration) 12/17-12/20, so if they’re good to all resorts for 30 days, this definitely makes it worthwhile for us to get at least one! (and I want the 50th design for my collection).

Are they really active for 30 days now? We have a family trip planned 11/23-11/28 and then just DH & I (for a friends birthday celebration) 12/17-12/20, so if they’re good to all resorts for 30 days, this definitely makes it worthwhile for us to get at least one! (and I want the 50th design for my collection).
It has been probably 5 years since we had noticed.

If I remember correctly, when you use the mug, the LCD screen on the soda machine had an "Expires On" date. You may want to buy the one for your collection, and then see if that is indeed the case.

Again, been a while, but when I asked a cast member, they said that the people that sell the mug have no idea how long you will be here, so 30 days is the standard. It makes sense, most resort guests would not be returning within a 30 day window. But I do not know if this is still the case...

I find the mugs to be luxurious, and I don't want to have five different 12-packs in my room. Thus, as long as the trip is more than a couple of days -- coming from Michigan, every trip is more than a couple of days -- the mugs are a nice addition to the trip.

Now, what I'd really like to see is more variety among the upcharge insulated mugs. Paying an extra $10 for that Star Wars mug two years ago was a great choice, and I was seriously bummed that they were already out of the Skyliner insulated mugs by April this year. I'm hoping that they have some 50th anniversary insulated mugs or perhaps some resort or ride themed ones by the time of our next trip.

Depends On what resort we are at, and how much resort time we are planning for. If it’s a mostly park trip, you are better off just buying a case of water.

Also found they hold icecream nice and cold for the kids. No sloppy mess.

So, if you'd be inclined to buy a mug anyway and will use it at home, YES, well worth the money.

I'd never thought of using them for ice cream. Perfect!
[/QUOTE]
There should be a thread of what else to use the mugs for! Great ice cream idea!

Thanks everyone -Lots of great feedback on this ! Have pretty much done almost all of the above on different trips ( including having cases of water and powerade delivered to room via Amazon ! ) Thinking maybe going with one of the suggestions above : Buy 1 mug as a souvenir and share it between the two of us = less to pack and flying both ways so trying to travel as light as possible for 2 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter