Refillable Mug - Reactivation??

GrandmaLT

Mouseketeer
I saw a Facebook post saying you can bring an old refillable mug and have it reactivated for a current trip at a discounted price. The cost of $10.99 was quoted. I've never heard of this as we purchase a new set of mugs on each trip. Is this true that we can bring mugs we purchased last year and get them activated for less than the cost of buying new??

I saw a Facebook post saying you can bring an old refillable mug and have it reactivated for a current trip at a discounted price. The cost of $10.99 was quoted. I've never heard of this as we purchase a new set of mugs on each trip. Is this true that we can bring mugs we purchased last year and get them activated for less than the cost of buying new??
I haven’t heard of that. I think they have to charge full price

This option used to be available before the pandemic closure, but was gone when the parks reopened. (It works by selling you a new date-restricted RFID sticker to put on the bottom of each cup.) I don't remember the price, but it was cheaper than a new cup.

I have not heard that the reactivation option has been brought back, but I guess it's possible at this point, and if so, I'd be happy about it, as buying new cups every trip is a bit wasteful, IMO. I'm sure Disney Dining would know for sure.

You can not reactivate a Disney Refillable Mug, Tinkerbell's pixie dust only lasts a fortnight. The mug is $21.99 but the beverages are free. When they first began this concept, you paid for the travel mug and the bonus was free beverages for your stay.

Is this just a WDW thing or does it also apply at Aulani? Interesting that they would have different technology.

Last edited:
But boy, do I wish this were true!

You can not reactivate a Disney Refillable Mug, Tinkerbell's pixie dust only lasts a fortnight. The mug is $21.99 but the beverages are free. When they first began this concept, you paid for the travel mug and the bonus was free beverages for your stay.

Thats not true. CM's can reactivate them. They last the length of stay not 14 days.

You can also pay to reactivate an old one but its the same price as a new mug.

It's always been ridiculous to me that they do not (easily) allow reactivation. Whether or not you want to give a discount, you should absolutely facilitate reactivation of the mugs to reduce waste. It's 2023, there's no need to have to buy a new mug after using it for a few days.

This topic has been brought up a lot, and at Disney you may as well just buy new mugs each time. I would gladly bring my own mug to save $5 on buying a new one.

Thats not true. CM's can reactivate them. They last the length of stay not 14 days.

You can also pay to reactivate an old one but its the same price as a new mug.
They default to 14 days, even if you are staying for less. We stayed 12 nights and the mugs were good for 14 days. If you are staying longer than 14, you need to tell the CM. And yes, the CM can reactivate a mug (as long as it's not too old), but no discount.

It's always been ridiculous to me that they do not (easily) allow reactivation.
Do they really not allow easy reactivations? It's just an RFID chip that needs to be coded into the system. I imagine if you brought your old cup they could activate it just the same as a new one. Of course, if you want a discount for reusing a cup, don't hold your breath.

Do they really not allow easy reactivations? It's just an RFID chip that needs to be coded into the system. I imagine if you brought your old cup they could activate it just the same as a new one. Of course, if you want a discount for reusing a cup, don't hold your breath.
I don't think it's difficult, but as you said, no discount. I watched someone on YouTube reactivate their mug and it took the cashier seconds, they had no problems doing it because the vlogger still paid the full price. It was a mug that had been purchased within the prior 12 months, if that makes a difference (the purple anniversary mugs)???

Last edited:
Is this just a WDW thing or does it also apply at Aulani? Interesting that they would have different technology.

They have the refillable mugs at Aulani but I am not sure about being able to have any re-activated. Sadly, only been to Aulani once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter