Refillable Mug debate..I finally got an answer!

Hmm, well since some of you might live kind of far away for a garage sale, should I start putting them on Ebay for a couple dollars a piece? LOL Oooh, I could start an Ebay Disney mug store!

........or maybe we can trade. DW and I have 2 ASSp mugs in near mint condition that won't do us anygood on our upcoming trip to PO-R. These are the mug-style (not cupholder-style). Any takers?

Mrs. Pete,

YOu do have a good point about refillable mugs but now all of us have the luxury of being able to drive to Disney. Also, we never rent a car so we can't bye tons of soda to bring along. Refillable mugs have always been an excellent deal for us!

Well, coming from London I definately don't drive ;) I do however pick up a ton of soda instead of using a mug (to plasticy for my tastes) - by having a free grocery stop in my airport transfer :)

I did pack my old mugs when we returned to POR. However, I really liked the new ones so bought three of those. I would never try to use them any where but in the resort we got them from. Do we use them when we are at home?? Not really. But, when my dd is not feeling well, or down in the dumps, I give her a drink in her WDW mug. It really helps her feel better about life. I buy them and think of them as souvinears. ( I can never seem to spell that word correctly. I apologize.):)

Originally posted by MrsPete
I still maintain that the mugs are NOT a good value -- unless you want a cheap-o plastic mug as a souvenier, which I don't.

I can buy name-brand sodas any time for less than .20 each. Right now Eckerds has 12-packs of Pepsi products on sale for $2 -- next week they'll probably have a similar price on Coke products. At those prices, just to BREAK EVEN on a mug, I'd have to fill it about 50 TIMES.

With all the great choices Disney offers, I don't anticipate "repeating" a resort, so return visit mug usage is of no interest to me. Of course, I live close enough to drive and I have a large vehicle, so tossing in a few cases of soda and an ice chest isn't a problem for me.

Money aside, bringing your own cans is more convenient: you don't have to wash out the mugs in your bathroom sink, you can carry one into the theme parks then toss it into the trash, you don't have to walk to the food court to get the refill, and the kids won't beg to get a cookie or ice cream while you're in there filling your mug.

The mugs were an excellent value for my son and I. There's no way I'm going to carry cases of soda from NY to FL. We don't rent a car ( love disney transportation), use Mears shuttle, so no chance to stop on the way to the resort.

The Disney experience is still very new to my son and I, therefore we spend most of our time time in the parks. Since we are only in the room to sleep and shower, the value resort works just fine for us.

During our trip we would fill our mugs on the way to the bus stop. Once in the parks, we filled the mugs at water fountains. Filled them again on the way back to the room, while having meals in the food court, hanging out at the pool. Having the mugs saved us TONS of money.

I have reused mugs on subsequent trips with no problems. It DOES say in writing that the refills are good for LENGTH OF STAY ONLY at POR as of last week, and I know it was posted last Easter the same way at ASMu.

If I recall, quite awhile back I think there was a post that said that Disney didn't even PAY for the Coke syrup...that it was a trade off from the Coke Co for the advertising they did in the parks.

I doubt that the refills are costing Disney a chuck of change. Usually when I stop by for a refill, I end up picking something else up to go with it from the food court or store.

I do own a few mugs from the Beach Club and that is the only mug that can be a hassle to refill.

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCVs 2002

Well, here's my 2 cents...

They are intended for length of stay only. What you do with that information is your perogative. As for my family, I figure if we can drop $5k on a vacation, I'll splurge on the $30 to buy new mugs.

Interestingly though, we surprised my mom with a trip to Disney next year. I bought her a refillable mug at the AKL (never used it, mind you... bought and put it in the suitcase) to give her as a clue to what her present was. I asked the salesgirl at the Mara if this mug would still be good next year and explained that it wouldn't be used between now and then. She told me it would be good if the design hadn't changed between now and then, and if it hadn't been used. Maybe AKL is stricter with their enforcement of the policy?

Erin

:D

Semantics, I know but...

Some folks have quoted the refillable mugs signs to say "good for your length of stay only." The signs don't actually have the word "only" on them.

They are carefully worded to be a possible deterrent to future use, but are not specific as to proclude it. I doubt this is by accident.

As I've said many times, if this were a big enough deal to Disney, they'd make a clearly defined policy and instruct the CM's to clearly communicate it to guests. But they haven't. Just ask the CM's in the food courts and you'll get every possible answer. Why is this? It's off the radar screens, that's why. Disney is happy with it's profit margin on the mugs and isn't concerned with a few of it's best customers returning and using them in the future. If it happens to be something that keeps those guests happy and maybe even coming back to the All Stars instead of the Holiday Inn, well that's great.

Believe me, this is a much bigger deal here on the DIS boards than it is in any Disney office.

If you disredard our own silly habits the real world of WDW visitors are first timers and the mugs are a real treat. Most of the real world tends not to return to WDW so often that this is a financial issue.Would Disney like you to use a new mug every visit- Of course.Is it a major issue with them -No. I agree DIS members are much more concerned with this than WDW is. Disney is not going to risk a alienating someone over a .99 soft drink. If you feel guilty don't do it. If its your way of getting a "bargain" go for it.:)

Suffice to say that you will get every answer possible from Disney on this issue.

I have a communication from Disney management that states the mugs are for use at ther resort (and sister resorts) you bought them for the length of that stay only.

Others have been told by CMs that you can use them forever at the resort (and sister resorts) you bought them.

Others have been told that as long as the design doesn't change you can use them.

etc. etc. etc.

Each person should make you own decision on what you are comfortable with and go with that.

Someone earlier had mentioned that they wish that the mugs fit in their cars. Well you can get what I call the coffee mugs that are skinny on the bottom, and believe it or not, they hold the same amount as the fat bottom ones. We went with friends and they told us that. We of course didn't believe it, but we tested it and it is true.

When were at the GF in early December, it specifically mentioned on the mini-bar price list that the refills included with the mug were for length of stay only.

We have been going to Disney every 6 to 14 weeks for the past 12 1/2 years. Our mugs date from the very first opening of All Star Sports, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc.

We have never had one problem using them. We just got back this past Monday and people asked us "where" we got our "original" mugs :D

We'll be using them again when we arrive in 4 days and again when we're there January 11th.

Don't worry, be happy!

Use the mugs!! If Disney wasn't making any money on them they would enforce the rules.

I think a couple people pretty much summed it up. Its obvious that even though disney has an actual written policy that they dont feel a need to be too strict with it and they assume that people will use the mugs at each visit. I think thats assuming that your not using a wilderness lodge mug at all stars, etc. I think thats rediculous that people are taking in mugs from other resorts or even filling up coolers or ordinary cups or whatever. But I tend to stay at the same resort for a few years in a row before I switch resorts and I dont have any problem bringing back my mugs and I know Disney doesnt either. It seems that everyone who asks for an official response from disney always gets the same answer. They are told in a friendly and sarcastic way that the mugs are for length of stay, but that you can bring them back to that same resort as often as you want. And for the people that complain that this topic comes up too much and pretty much make the original poster feel bad for asking ,I think people forget that not everyone has the time to be on this forum every day and study every post. There are actually people that really dont know and would like an answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter