Refillable Mug debate..I finally got an answer!

Lover_of_Disney

Mouseketeer
After returning from ASMu last week I did ask about refillable mugs while I was there. I ask a CM in the food court if I could use the mugs I had from last year. His reply was, "You can use your mugs 10 years from now, that is our policy!"

Hope this helps!!

AE

Get it in writing..from Disney preferably LOL. Opps..you won't be able to.

I'm going into my disney room of collections and start to grab my CBR mugs and dust them off for our next trip. ......Maybe we should wait and see what others have experienced lately? Here's keeping our finger's crossed!!

When we went this past November to WDW. We stayed at the asMov. We had packed our mugs from our trip in 99 and figured we would try. After we dumped our luggage off we went to grab a bite to eat. My aunt asked if we could use the mugs ( which were from the ASMus) and she she no problem. Which was great becasue it saved us $20+ dollars. Mugs are now 10.99 :eek: :eek:
Erica

ok - because I don't want to dig for that thread on the mugs - here's a question...

I assume that you can only use the resorts mug at THAT resort, correct? So if I'm staying at the WL for half my trip, and AKL the second half of my trip, I can't recycle my old CBR mugs, nor can I use the WL mugs we will most likely get at the AKL - correct?

(if only those things would fit in my car, I'd use it every day...)

Originally posted by Lover_of_Disney
After returning from ASMu last week I did ask about refillable mugs while I was there. I ask a CM in the food court if I could use the mugs I had from last year. His reply was, "You can use your mugs 10 years from now, that is our policy!"

Hope this helps!!

AE

It isn't the only answer you will get. It depends on the CM asked. Or if you read the signs at the Poly or WL or CBR that states that the mugs are for that length of stay only. That
CM was just telling you what he thought you'd want to hear. Someone here got it in writing from WDW that the mugs are not to be brought back again and again. I would rely on the "Official" response for this one.

We have ALWAYS reused our mugs--but only at the resort they were bought at--for example--only used WL mugs at WL and CR mugs at CR.

We have never had a problem. Our Port Orleans mugs are the old BIG yellow Dixie Landings mugs. When we used them in 2002 at PO-R, we got many comments from CM's checking us out at the food court saying--"Wow, I haven't seen those in a long time" or "Those were the best mugs!". Most the Cm's asked if they could pick them up and look at them. :D

I think they started watching refills closer because people were using any kind of mug to refill--mugs from the parks and from other resorts and just regular mugs:(

I agree with JulesMom. We just returned from a stay at the All-Stars and used a couple of mugs from previous trips. We also bought 4 additional mugs since there were more of us there this time. Anyway, we used all of the mugs and never had a problem. I would never use mugs from a different resort but I have no problem bringing mugs back to the same resort on subsequent trips.

Just my $.02.

We used our Dixie Landings mugs from 1998 on our 2000 trip and they are in the pile to be packed this weekend for our 2002 trip. We didn't have any trouble at all. Also packed are those cute water bottle holders from each of the parks...when the DSs ask to buy them, I plan on pulling them out of my Animal Kingdom 2001 back pack! Does it sound like our family is hooked??? YES we are.

Disney's great at making policies and rules. Enforcing them is another story. :rolleyes:
DH bought a ASMu mug last October. He's using it again next month. We saw about every kind of mug imaginable being filled at ASMu in October. No one looked or cared.
And let's face it, it weak coffee, tea, and watered down soft drinks/Hi-C. Not exactly anything major anyway.

Ok, I vowed I wouldnt type this again, but what the heck, this can be my resolution for next year.

After being told by 2 different CMS, at 2 different resorts, on 2 different trips, that the mugs were good for life, then hearing differently here, I inquired to WDW about the issue. I received a message on my machine from a woman from the Executive Offices of WDW(and yes, I still have her name). Her response was that the "official, official thing"(said sarcastically) was that the mugs are good for the length of stay only. However, the resorts have made up their own rules and if a guest has a mug, it will be refilled.

So, take that for what its worth. :rolleyes: ;) And please dont let this issue be brought up again before New Years. ;)

Why bother with buying the mugs. CMs let people use "Big Gulp" cups too unmolested.

This thread seems to never die, so therefore it must be forever.

I bought a couple at Beach Club this November. I asked the CM if they ever got this sorted out. Her reply was "we know it's for length of stay, but if it says Beach Club We'll fill it". So here is my take on it.

1. I pay a lot to stay at Disney

2. The mug costs only about 11 bucks ( drop in the bucket
compared to the vacation cost.)

3. After four or five fill-ups I'm ahead of the game.

4. The next time I come down and they don't fill it, no big deal, I'll
get another one. Or get my supply at Publix.

In other words, life is too short to worry about it.

I also just had a message left on my answering machine. The CM stated that the mugs are NOT intended to be used at resorts other than the resort for which the mug was issued. However, refills will be honored at that resort as many times as you want to use them.

I still maintain that the mugs are NOT a good value -- unless you want a cheap-o plastic mug as a souvenier, which I don't.

I can buy name-brand sodas any time for less than .20 each. Right now Eckerds has 12-packs of Pepsi products on sale for $2 -- next week they'll probably have a similar price on Coke products. At those prices, just to BREAK EVEN on a mug, I'd have to fill it about 50 TIMES.

With all the great choices Disney offers, I don't anticipate "repeating" a resort, so return visit mug usage is of no interest to me. Of course, I live close enough to drive and I have a large vehicle, so tossing in a few cases of soda and an ice chest isn't a problem for me.

Money aside, bringing your own cans is more convenient: you don't have to wash out the mugs in your bathroom sink, you can carry one into the theme parks then toss it into the trash, you don't have to walk to the food court to get the refill, and the kids won't beg to get a cookie or ice cream while you're in there filling your mug.

In my opinion, the real story is that Disney would like for the mugs to be length-of-stay, but they also want to be nice about it, and not have a "mug policeman" standing there checking mugs and turning people away. So they just let people use the older ones if they want to and not say anything. In a business sense, too, it may be more expensive to hire a person to be a "mug policeman" or to implement a way of checking the mugs, than to just purchase more soda syrup or other drink materials, for the extra refills from the older mugs. Just in my personal experience, when I first started purchasing the mugs, I assumed they were for length-of-stay only, and that $10 didn't entitle me to lifetime refills. So I purchase new ones each stay. But I do understand and feel for people who were told by castmembers that the mugs were for lifetime use. My only question is now, that I have a cabinet full of these mugs, when I keep buying more, and run out of storage space for all these mugs, where am I going to put them? LOL

Sell them for a little more though, 'cause the new owners will be able to use them at the resort where the mug came from!!! LOL

(Just Kidding)........

Let me know where and when your garage sale will be, so I can buy them.;) YES, I have been re-using my Mugs from 1996!!!!:eek: No Problem.:o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter