Redoing a disappointing character interaction?

PollyMroz

Earning My Ears
We had someone in our group who handmade an outfit and ears and was so excited to meet a specific character. Others in our group met characters who our outfits were themed after and those characters made such a big deal of it. When the person in our group met the character her outfit was themed after the character was basically a statue. They didn’t acknowledge her or the outfit. Is it worth trying to revisit the character tomorrow? How likely will it be the same person?

Part of the fun of character interactions is that the interaction is mostly unique to the person they are meeting with. We can expect that the character behave like their on screen character but should not expect them to hold certain conversations with everyone or to comment about an outfit. How boring would that be if every character said the same thing? Some characters will ignore you or get “angry” if you are trying to look like them where others will tell you that they love your dress. Pluto and others imply they are hungry. Ariel has asked for a dingle hopper.

I would not go back expecting a different response.

We had someone in our group who handmade an outfit and ears and was so excited to meet a specific character. Others in our group met characters who our outfits were themed after and those characters made such a big deal of it. When the person in our group met the character her outfit was themed after the character was basically a statue. They didn’t acknowledge her or the outfit. Is it worth trying to revisit the character tomorrow? How likely will it be the same person?
We need more info: who is the character?

Was the character's lack of reaction consistent with the character's personality? Was the character an animal (like Pluto or even Chewbacca - might not react to clothing)? Perhaps the character sees many outfits resembling theirs and didn't react because they see it every day?

I feel like the CMs are well trained about staying in character during the interactions. They probably have guidelines about how to react to different things. I wouldn't go back seeking a different reaction.

It was Winnie the Pooh. It wasn’t that the character didn’t specifically comment on her outfit it was that they didn’t really do anything. She walked in super excited and emotional, the character stood in place and waved. I was wearing a daisy and Minnie shirt and both of those characters made a big deal of it without me doing anything special, but they were also more animated. I’ve also met Winnie the Pooh before and we have a picture where he’s so lovely and hold our hands. Someone else were with was just wearing frozen ears and those characters made a big deal about those as well.

The parks are super busy right now. Chances are their handler told them to move the line quickly.

There's no reason you shouldn't go back for another shot at it, but keep the expectations low.

Have you considered eating at the Crystal Palace? Maybe they'd get a different Pooh and maybe they'd have a little more time.

Last edited:

Even if it’s the same person in character, the reaction could be different today.
If it bothers you, try again. And report back. :goodvibes

Since it's Winnie, you should try again.
Yeah Id try again - that seems like someone who was ready for a break or had a very tough day.

Without any planning I happened to be wearing a Frankenstein T-Shirt and got a photo with Frankenstein (I know Frankenstein's monster) and the Bride at Universal - it was a very fun interaction. Not what I expected at all and I was just lucky to be wearing the shirt by happenstance.

I cant really recall any bad interactions with any characters at Disney, but especially Winnie the Pooh - so that is odd to me.

It was Winnie the Pooh. It wasn’t that the character didn’t specifically comment on her outfit it was that they didn’t really do anything. She walked in super excited and emotional, the character stood in place and waved. I was wearing a daisy and Minnie shirt and both of those characters made a big deal of it without me doing anything special, but they were also more animated. I’ve also met Winnie the Pooh before and we have a picture where he’s so lovely and hold our hands. Someone else were with was just wearing frozen ears and those characters made a big deal about those as well.

I get the disappointment, but I wouldn't compare Winnie the Pooh's reaction to Minnie or Daisy's. "Fashion" is a part of the character personality for those 2. It's kind of their "thing" to make a big deal about clothes. Not necessarily for Pooh.

When DD was about 5 we met Pooh and Tigger in the UK, for some reason we were the only ones there at the time. She happened to have on a t-shirt with both characters (unplanned). Tigger was much more "bouncy" and excited pointing to the t-shirt (which I hadn't even realized at first) than Pooh who was just sort of "jolly" in general. So yeah, it may be the character's personality.

I get the disappointment, but I wouldn't compare Winnie the Pooh's reaction to Minnie or Daisy's. "Fashion" is a part of the character personality for those 2. It's kind of their "thing" to make a big deal about clothes. Not necessarily for Pooh.
to clarify we didn’t need to interaction to be about the outfit, there just seemed to be no interaction. We thought the homemade outfit would signal that she was a big Winnie the pooh fan to spark some kind of interaction

When DD was about 5 we met Pooh and Tigger in the UK, for some reason we were the only ones there at the time. She happened to have on a t-shirt with both characters (unplanned). Tigger was much more "bouncy" and excited pointing to the t-shirt (which I hadn't even realized at first) than Pooh who was just sort of "jolly" in general. So yeah, it may be the character's personality.
We would have killed for jolly. This character literally just stood in place and waved. Could have been an animatronic.

We would have killed for jolly. This character literally just stood in place and waved. Could have been an animatronic.
Didn’t you get the vibe of “I’m here, what else do you want?” from him while you were in line to meet Pooh? You can usually figure out how the interaction will go based on how the character behaves with the guests ahead of you.

I say try again, but if the interaction seems stilted with people ahead of you, you can always bail. No reason to wait in line to have the same disappointing experience. Hopefully, you got a good photo with Pooh. Most of the time, the specific interaction is forgotten to time anyway— at least if you go frequently. In all the years we’ve gone to Disney, there are just a handful that I remember for how the interaction with the character stood out. For all of the others, it’s just a nice memory of meeting them.

Tigger kept playing with my antenna ears, drove the photographer nuts.

Piglet making kissing sounds in my ear, that really was an unexpected character experience.
So I would try again and see what happens when meeting Pooh for the second time, but even Disney characters can have an off-day.

I am a character performer. I suggest trying again if it means that much to you. Interactions can vary greatly between performers every hour of every day. Pooh though certainly won’t be as excited as Minnie and Daisy about an outfit, but maybe point it out to him to make sure he’s seen it and see what happens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter