• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recommended restaurants?

Summer-Caitlin

DIS Veteran
My husband and I will be travelling with our two and a half year old son in September for 4 nights at Sequoia Lodge. Now I know everyone has their own favourites but as we have never been to DLRP before I would like some recommendations. I already have Café Mickey, Rainforest Café and Earl of Sandwich on this list for lunch/dinner but I wondered what other restaurants would be a good option for us? We intend to have breakfast in the hotel and most lunches would be burger/sandwiches etc but I am looking for good dinner options and also lunch recommendations, if there are some that particularly stand out?

I am a Disney Dining Plan (WDW) veteran and this will be the first time I have visited Disney without a meal plan in hand. My son is quite adventurous (although he has recently become fussier) but he likes more adult foods, I guess you could say. I am up for trying buffets if there are any recommendations there too? I don't want to spend a fortune but also don't want to eat junk food the whole time. For me a big part of the holiday is the dining out. I intend to buy a pre-paid card so I can pretend I have a meal plan without the restrictions!

Thanks

I love Restaurant des Stars which is a buffet but I think last sitting is around 4pm but plenty if choice

Also Billy bobs in the village buffet us nice it's tex-mex

My favourites are Inventions (character dinner buffet), Walt's, Blue Lagoon and Agrabah Cafe (buffet).

I would definitely second Elaine's recommendations [although i haven't tried agrabah yet] and would add the chuck wagon and cape Cod for two hopefully slightly cheaper buffet options. My kids loved the chuck wagon , they especially liked the salad bar. Somebody has written an extensive list of the food available in the pinned thread about restaurants here I think it was maybe Kizzabel???

Good luck with your planning,your son will love the rainforset cafe :goodvibes

K

PS Oh yes lots of people are recommending plaza gardens just now...that's a buffet too, although i don't have first hand experience of that one either :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. I have heard about Plaza Gardens so I might look at that one. I am going to look at Agrabah café just now. I looked at Blue Lagoon as I heard so many good things about it but the menu doesn't look too child friendly and neither my husband or I are big fish eaters. I also like the look of Walt's too.

We loved Chuckwagon! But October will only be my 2nd time there! We were always too far away lately or too tired to walk but staying at the SF in October means theres no excuse.

I didn't like the full buffet in SQL (which is which? mummy brain!) chewy duck bleurgh and we found plaza gardens to be so so but we loved King Ludwigs for something differentcl, Annettes for shakes and monster burgers.
Walts is my favourite though, had the best cheesecake here. Actually everything is lovely here!

I'm just looking at restaurants now for our trip on Sunday and there is so much choice I can't decide lol

I can't see a child's menu at the rainforest cafe, does anyone know if they do one?

So do you think Walt's is okay for kids? I looked at the menu and while it really appeals to me I worry that it may be too adult themed for toddlers? I don't mean their menu as the kids menu seems great but I wonder whether there are a lot of kids that go to Walt's at all?

Right off to look at Chuckwagon!

Forgot to ask, how often do the menus change in DLRP? Are the menus I am looking at now the menus for September?

Not sure how often they change :confused3 I know we had our first ever summer trip last year and all the restaurants seemed to have lamb on their menus[hadn't really noticed that at other times of year] so I presume they do change them. However they do tend to keep in style....if that makes sense? You come to expect a certain kind of dish from Walts/Blue lagoon/Inventions and although some dishes may change it's always fairly similar. DLRP magic has recently loaded new menus hope that helps???

K

Ps Some restaurants always seem to have the same, like Silver Spur or the steak house. Oh and my kids always loved Walts [although we enjoy it even more now they are all grown], just try and get a seat by the window for the parade. They usually came with colouring in and the main course used to come on a mickey shaped plate [although we are talking a few years ago now :rotfl2:]

Is there anything that is sort of BBQ related? I had a look at Chuckwagon and that seems to be similar, are there other restaurants where they have ribs, steaks etc.

I'm sorry but with a young child I really can't recommend Walts for dinner or lunch unless they are 10+. The food is a little out there, and people go to have a more adult dinner. Obviously others will disagree but that's my opinion.
With a young child I would stick more to buffets as they can try everything, obviously ones with character interaction are even better as there is something else to keep them interested.

I was going to book walts for our trip but decided my kids are too young for it at 3 and 6 will save it for another time as it seems more of a place or adults to me.

Is there anything that is sort of BBQ related? I had a look at Chuckwagon and that seems to be similar, are there other restaurants where they have ribs, steaks etc.

La Grange at Billy Bobs in the Village is a tex-mex buffet.
Cowboy Cookout in the main park is counter service and ribs/BBQ/chicken. So is the Last Chance Cafe and the Lucky Nugget Saloon.

Silver Spur Steakhouse is table service and has steaks, ribs etc etc, and I believe the Chicago steakhouse in the Village do a similar menu.

Restaurant menus and prices change in April and November normally.
I was also looking to see a kids menu for Rainforest Cafe but couldnt find one.. Anyone come across one? It was really just the price I wanted to know for a spot of budget planning. I imagine the menu will include choices of a burger, chicken nuggets, pizza and pasta anyway.

we ate at the rainforest in October with a 2 year old. there was a fab kids menu, chicken curry, Sheppards pie, all sorts! they had lots of nice meals rather than just burgers and nuggets etc..... my son had nuggets! urgh, when do they outgrow the fussy stage! I hate it! lol! Xx

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

laurab84 said:
we ate at the rainforest in October with a 2 year old. there was a fab kids menu, chicken curry, Sheppards pie, all sorts! they had lots of nice meals rather than just burgers and nuggets etc..... my son had nuggets! urgh, when do they outgrow the fussy stage! I hate it! lol! Xx

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Can you remember the price by any chance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter