• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recommendations, please: a facial moisturizer that is worth the money

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
I have seriously dry skin, which is only getting worse as I get older (about to be 50). I have tried many drugstore options and some cosmetic counter options, all with poor to mediocre results. So far, I have avoided paying more than about $20 and am wondering if I need to try something that costs more. At this point, I would happily pay more for something that will work (but of course would like to avoid paying more for the same bad results). So, can anyone recommend a moisturizer that is worth the cost?

Don't know if you have tried Aveeno or not, but a few years ago I discovered the daily moisturizing lotion 'Aveeno Baby'. For sensitive skin, fragrance free. I love it. My face loves it too.

I like the Roc products. Also in my 50’s and notice that if I don’t drink a lot of water my skin is like shoe leather.. In the winter I run a humidifier in the house and even use a little olive oil on my face which sounds weird, but it absorbs quickly and is all natural.

What are you using to wash your face? In the winter I don't always use my typical go to cleanser. I switch off to Ponds Cold Cream. My skin gets super dry in the winter and using Ponds Cold Cream a few days a week makes a big difference. I could never find a moisturizer that helped enough. Ponds does.

I may just be a freak of nature here but I use baby lotion EVERYWHERE including my face.
My skin is baby soft.
I'm 32 and I've been suing it since about 15.
I am always getting compliments on how nice my face skin is and everyone is always shocked when I tell them what I use.
Here's another shocker... What do I use to wash my face?... WATER.
I don't use makeup though so I can see how people that do use makeup need more than just water.

I use Cinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL.

Specifically the gel - the lotion is too heavy for my skin

I sometimes use a Neutrogena moisturizer that smells like sunscreen (love the smell and at first it felt good on my face, but lately it stings), but lately I've just been washing with Burt's Bees soak bark and chamomile and then using rose water on my face. It feels soooo refreshing! Im interested to see what others use though.

I find airline travel makes my skin extremely dry - I use hydrous emollient cream at night when it is really dry!

I have ridiculously dry skin (DH thought I had psoriasis our first winter together) and for my face I use the Clean and Clear Essentials (the basic orange face wash) and Eucerin Daily Face Moisturizer (it has an SPF which I like). Neither are expensive.

THis is going to sound ridiculous, but I use a good quality coconut oil on my face with excellent results. I use it on my face and lips every night. It seems to provide long lasting moisture. I almost never need chapstick anymore.

I also put it on under sunscreen. I would rather have it soak in than the chemicals in sunscreen. A $8 jar should last a really long time. Try it and see what you think. I buy it at a grocery store and also cook with it.

When we were in Morocco, I purchased a face cream that was made locally with argan oil. I have very sensitive skin, but this is the most AMAZING thing I've ever used. If you're interested, DM me. I'll send you the specifics, but the one I purchased was for older skin.

My dermatologist put me on Vanicream cleansing bar for soap and CeraVe cream (not lotion) for moisturizer. You can get both at CVS as well as other places. If you have a CVS rewards card, you get a 25% off all non-sale items coupon about once a month, so you can stock up then.

Lancome bienfiat multi vital moisturizer night cream. $50 a little tub but it lasts me about a year.

At the dermatolgoist yesterday, there were CeraVe pumps everywhere.

the more I realize how many chemicals are in everyday things like moisturizers, the more I am using things like coconut and olive oils as skin care (as a few posted above have already mentioned)

Another amazing oil is kukui nut from hawaii but it is super expensive compared to the above two

My skin is so dry it has Hansel and Gretel moments where the flakes could lead me back home if I got lost....

Sure I like being pampered from time to time. Nothing like visiting a spa and being roughed, buffed and fawned over but at home I just mash an avocado, add some honey and ocassionally a bit of yogurt, slather on face, take a bath and rinse off when finished. You can skip the bath and opt for a shower instead or just mask your face over the bath sink.

Sure I like being pampered from time to time. Nothing like visiting a spa and being roughed, buffed and fawned over but at home I just mash an avocado, add some honey and ocassionally a bit of yogurt, slather on face, take a bath and rinse off when finished. You can skip the bath and opt for a shower instead or just mask your face over the bath sink.

Sounds delicious!

All y'all with dry skin just need to move to Florida. I lived in Colorado for a while and my skin was so dry I practically bought moisturizer and lip balm by the case. Moved to Florida and barely need it. The humidity is wretched, but it's fabulous for your skin.

In the winter, I use the CeraVe cream in the tub, not the lotion. If it gets super bad I will go to bed with coconut oil or olive oil on my face at night. I also try to stay hydrated and use a cool mist vaporizer in the room when I sleep.

I use Cinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL.

Specifically the gel - the lotion is too heavy for my skin

I feel the same - love the gel so much more than the lotion. I am using Mary Kay Oil Free Hydrating GEL - I feel it's a lot like the Clinique Gel, but my friends sells it so I get a little bit of a discount.

I prefer the Mary Kay 3in1 cleanser and night toner, followed by a Neutrogena moisturizer. DD was instructed to use Cereva for her super-dry skin. It's much better, but we have found that using the right cleanser is just as important as the moisturizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter