Recommendations for motion sickness

PrincessDJC

Earning My Ears
My DIL has never been to Disney and we are hoping to do a family trip in 2022. Unfortunately she is prone to motion sickness. How do those of you with the same issue manage to maximize rides? What products help with that? I don’t want her left out as we all ride but also don’t want her to be miserable. I want her first trip to be a positive one. TIA

I use bonine and it really helps and it’s non drowsy. But even with that there are some rides I’ll never be able to do (tea cups, triceratops spin, etc) and I’m sure it’ll be the same for her
Bonine and whatever version of Dramamine has the same active ingredient (meclizine). Seems to have the best ratio of effectiveness/low side effects for me. Standard Dramamine also works for me, but makes me groggy enough that I don‘t like taking it during the day.

Last edited:
The scopolamine patch for the win. Without them I can hardly ride the monorail! Lol. With them the only ride I can't do is FoP. I have tried everything else...ginger pills/candy, bonine, meclizine, dramamine, sea bands, motion-eaze. All garbage.

I'm another Bonine (meclizine) fan. I take one every morning and also bring some into the parks with me. If I start to feel some effects after a ride, i will take another and it clears up very quickly.
You might bring a few options because everyone is different.
Hope you find what works for her!

My DIL has never been to Disney and we are hoping to do a family trip in 2022. Unfortunately she is prone to motion sickness. How do those of you with the same issue manage to maximize rides? What products help with that? I don’t want her left out as we all ride but also don’t want her to be miserable. I want her first trip to be a positive one. TIA

I have taken Bonine and it worked

Bonine is great but I figured out on my last trip to WDW that it aggregates my restless leg syndrome. (Lots of studies show the correlation too.) So I have to choose between staying off the rides, or not being able to sleep at night. For me the worst one is Star Tours followed by Space Mountain. Even on Bonine.

If she really gets that motion sickness she will find just skipping the rides and wandering for a bit alone is much preferable to feeling miserable for hours afterward.

Bonine is the truth. Works like a charm and I get no side effects. Just make sure you bring your own because if you have to go to First Aid all they have is Dramamine.

Bonine is amazing. I take it at night since there could be minimal drowsiness as a side effect. It seems to counteract my oh-my-goodness-I'm-at-Disney-and-can't-sleep-I'm-so-excitedness. Plus it's one less thing to remember in the morning.

I would go with packing both bonine & Dramamine (make sure the main ingredient is different from Bonine). Bonine works like a miracle for me, Dramamine doesn’t do anything. Other people are the opposite. Some people neither thing works. Both are available rx free.

I would definitely avoid prescription meds. They work for some and have nasty side effects for others, a trip to WDW is not the time to experiment with rx meds.

Bonine works great for me and while it is a non-drowsy formula, it makes me drowsy and I usually want to take a nap later that day. If I don't nap (which is most often the case), I sleep really deep for a long time overnight. Definitely do not recommend any alcohol with Bonine.

Whatever she decides to try, I strongly suggest that she tries it before the trip to see how she will react to it.

With Bonine I was able to ride multiple times Star Tours and FOP at Disney, and Forbidden Journey, Transformers and The Simpsons at Universal. Without it, I couldn't do any of these big screen rides . I would feel sick after a few seconds. Roller Coasters are not as bad for me.

My son has mild motion sickness and has used seabands (wrist band). He also takes Bonine starting 2 days before the trip, then 1 each morning during breakfast while on the trip. He has tried dramamine, but it made him extremely tired (non drowsy formula) 1/2 through the day. Bonine works great.
I was going to recommend seabands as well, they are wonderful. My son can not take a lot of otc meds because they mix with his daily meds. Seabands work so well

I take meclizine but I still can’t do FOP, Star Tours or Expedition Everest . Of course I can’t do teacups but who can do those ! 🤣 Meclizine really helps though. I hope you have an amazing trip ! 🎉

Question: Does sea bands prevent motion sickness or relieve it? Can you put them on after you get sick to feel better? Or is it only to prevent getting sick?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter