Recommendations for First Night (no-reservation) Dinner?

Kestryl

DIS Veteran
Any first night dining recommendations that don’t require a reservation for a couple arriving later (after 7 pm)?

Some details: It’s just me and the spouse. We’re driving in, and because of the unpredictable nature of traffic I’m hesitant to actually make any dining reservations for the first night.

I’m not a picky eater at all; the husband is more so, but as he likes to say, he can find something anywhere.

We’re staying at Pop Century and will probably spend most of our time in the parks. The only other dining we’ve got set up is breakfast at Crystal Palace, lunch at Tuskers, and Storybook Dining at Artist Point. (Yes, I know, buffets and characters, but that’s kinda our style!)

So, any suggestions? What’s your favorite?

What about going to Disney Springs? Just check MDE and see what is available.

My fave hidden gem is Turf Club at SSR. Really good, always tables available, and a quiet relaxed vibe.

I think a Disney springs restaurant would work best for you. For many of them you can make reservations on open table and that won’t have a cancellation charge. Or a lot of the restaurants there have bar seating so that’s also a good option.

Another vote for Disney Springs. Places are open late and there are options for whatever "food mood" you're in. If you decide on a sit-down dinner instead of quick service or lounge dining, Open Table is way better than MDE for last minute availability.

Another big DS advantage is not having to deal with the parking annoyances of resort dining.

Are you looking for a counter service or table service? I would say Wolfgang Puck Express or Deluxe Burger if you want CS (at Disney Springs). I also always enjoy The Grand Floridian Cafe if you want a quiet TS with good food and that usually is easy to get in to.

I have heard really good things about The Wave at the Contemporary. The pork belly appetizer is supposed to be the best on property. And if I am not mistaken, it's not too difficult to walk up and get a seat. I put it on our "to do" list for this trip, but unfortunately I couldn't fit it in.

Ditto on DS. So many options and the parking is easy.

You can check a few places and reserve one on open... if you don’t make it no big deal. You can also check open table for availability as you get closer and have a better idea on time.

I'd hop on a bus to Disney Springs and grab some seats at the bar at either Boathouse or Homecoming.

Consider getting a Landry's card, and using the "seat me first, even though I don't have a reservation" feature at Rainforest or TRex.

Alternatively, make a reservation via open table, which does not have a penalty if you don't make it. Be aware, though, open table will block you from making additional reservations if the number of no-shows exceeds a certain amount (which I believe to be 5).

Agree on Disney Springs. You can check the MDE app by availability and see what's available right at the moment. Otherwise, many of the bars in Disney Springs TS restaurants will serve the same menu as well and are first come first serve. For example, Homecomin' is tough to get an ADR at and may not take walk-ups, but they have a good bar with the same menu.

Another option would be any moderate resort TS. You should have no trouble walking in at any of those 3.

One of my friends stays at Saratoga Springs when she goes and shared that Turf Club is consistently one of their favorite restaurants of the trip...sometimes with multiple visits.

Thanks for all of the replies!

We’d be up for either CS or TS, depending on the time. If for some reason we get really stuck and are late, CS may be better.

We definitely were looking at Disney Springs- I’m glad to hear of a few specific recommendations! The Turf looks really good- the husband would love all of that meat and fish. And I think we would get a kick out of T Rex. (I swear we’re adults, even if we don’t seem like it sometimes.) I’ve been to Rainforest Cafe in a few locations, so we probably won’t do tht. (I like it, I just like to try new things.)

We’ll definitely take a look at Open Table. I’d still hate to make a reservation I couldn’t keep, even if it doesn’t cost me anything, just because I wouldn’t want to take that spot from someone who really wants it. But it might be a good avenue for a booking something when we’re halfway there and have a good idea on our actual arrival time.

Thanks again! If anyone else has specific recommendations of where they like to eat, keep them coming. :)

And I think we would get a kick out of T Rex. (I swear we’re adults, even if we don’t seem like it sometimes.) I’ve been to Rainforest Cafe in a few locations, so we probably won’t do tht. (I like it, I just like to try new things.)

If you've done Rainforest Café, you have done T-Rex. They are owned by the same company and are very similar, except one has a T-Rex theme while the other has a rainforest theme. Food is ok, but just your typical chain fare. Great for kids but IMO, there's better options in Disney Springs for two adults.

If anyone else has specific recommendations of where they like to eat, keep them coming.

I mentioned Homecomin' above which is one of my favorites in Disney Springs right now. We've also walked into the Edison with no problem. For QS, Polite Pig, Wolfgang Puck Express and Chicken Guy are my faves.

It depends on how long the drive is. Sub 3-4 hours, Disney Springs is fine (I like Jock Lindsay's for apps/drinks)

Longer than that, I'd totally be eating in the food court at Pop....

Our favorite in Disney Springs is Raglan Road. Their scallop dish (Gnocchi Sea/Gnocchi Do) is out of this world!

I like the idea of checking MDE as you are approaching. It's exciting to be planning that meal as arrival is eminent. Don't rule out a resort. Parking at DS is not easy. It's a ginormous garage and a long walk from one end to the other. Parking at a resort is simple, with an ADR and much shorter walk. Try the new Sebastian's Bistro at CBR. My sister just went there and raved about it as best meal of her trip.

For my upcoming May trip, my plane lands around 4:30pm so I figure I'll be at POP around 6:30pm. I plan to Uber over to Boardwalk/Flying Fish and do walk-up to eat at the bar, so I'm not stressing over ADR timing. Afterwards I'll head over to EPCOT and wander around WS, just soaking up the vibe and may or may not catch Illuminations. I have time do watch it later in the week and the prospect of getting on to the resort bus before the after-show crush might win out.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter