Recommendations for 30th birthday back up plan

Aubrie

Earning My Ears
so I have my best friends 30th birthday November 14th at Disney World. (My first trip to WDW) Trying to plan her a special birthday dinner where we will be coming from magic kingdom and then heading back there for EMM. I want to do ohana as she loves good themeing, beach/tiki stuff and is picky eater. I am having issues with getting ohana for the night ( unsuccessful coordination, missed 2 reservation finders by a couple minutes and not had anymore finds since resetting the finder) but I was able to get it the night before at 945 pm. Any recommendations for another MK near ish restaurant that has great theming and food that a picky eater would like (chicken, fried food, pasta , Mac and cheese etc)? I currently have sci-fi dine in planned for the following day and bog for our breakfast. I have kona set up at 520 as a backup but don’t know if this is really special enough or redundant since we will be eating ohana the night before.

Would she like a buffet? There are a couple that are close to MK, and have the food selection you are looking for.

If it was a great buffet maybe but I am hoping for more table service as that feels more special for a birthday dinner.

That sounds like a good back up. Looks like it is all booked but do people cancel on that?

Okay probably not a good back up plan then lol. Any thoughts grand Floridian cafe, citricos or other restaurants that I can get adrs with less than 2 months to go?

Best bet is to look at the menus and figure out what your friend will eat. The Wave is a great restaurant at the Contemporary. I would recommend staying at the monorail resorts to be able to get back to MK quickly after dinner.

While the Wave is a very good restaurant, it has virtually no "theme", so I wouldn't recommend that for you. Likewise, Citrico's, which is a nice room, but has no "Disney theme".

Grand Floridian Cafe is lovely, but it's not a "Disney theme". It's more "Florida theme". Good food, though.

Kona reminds me of a diner, but it's in the Poly, so it's got theme. The dinner menu is rather plain, which may appeal to your friend.

Have you considered Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK itself? Or, slightly more adventurous, food-wise, Skippers Canteen?

If signature restaurants aren't out due to the budget, you might want to look at California Grille, Narcoossee's, and Artist Point.

Thanks! She actually already nixed liberty and skippers lol but I will definitely look at narcooses, artist point and California grille to see if any adrs open up. I think kona and grand Floridian seem to be my best back ups otherwise.

If she already nixed choices, why don’t you let her pick what she does want?

Well she said she is really busy and wants me to plan the adrs. I have run a few by her to see what she thinks and the one she was interested in ohana.

I just searched dinner for 2 on Nov. 14 (which is my birthday too!) and thought some interesting options popped up.

Have you considered ditching O'hana and doing the Spirit of Aloha dinner show (8:15 pm is available)? The food is fairly similar, the show is fun (they will recognize her birthday) and it's definitely in the tiki/beach theme.

Hoop Dee Doo is available at 8:30 pm

Whispering Canyon at WL - definitely more simple food and some funny antics!

Ooh those sound very fun! I haven’t even thought of the shows lol I actually changed my back up to whispering canyon yesterday because that does look like her style

Happy birthday by the way! Where did you decide to go for yours?

Last edited:
Ooh those sound very fun! I haven’t even thought of the shows lol I actually changed my back up to whispering canyon yesterday because that does look like her style

Happy birthday by the way! Where did you decide to go for yours?

Aw, thanks!! I won't be in WDW for my birthday this year. When I saw you were searching for Nov. 14, I just plugged in the date to see what might be available for you! The last time I spent my birthday there, we ate at Jiko at AKL which was very good! I'm planning on celebrating my 50th there though and then hopefully we'll go to V&A :)

Hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy WCC!

Well she said she is really busy and wants me to plan the adrs. I have run a few by her to see what she thinks and the one she was interested in ohana.

I saw upthread that you were interested in the Spirit of Aloha. I think I would choose that one. It is fun, the food is okay, and I think 'Ohana food is less than okay, and it is at the Poly. WE like the show, even though it is a little cheesy fo rthe first half. That gives you a chance to eat before the better part of the show begins.

I'm not a fan of Spirit of Aloha for adults. The show is like "High School Musical" with Polynesians. Until the fire dancer arrives near the end of the show, there's not much an adult would enjoy of the show itself. The food is merely ok. It's served table style. Like any restaurant that serves the same thing to every table, hopefully at the same time, some tables get their food after it's been under a warming lamp for a while.

If you want a show, I'd suggest the totally corny hoop de doo review.

Whispering Canyon sounds fun. It's not a traditional sit-down dinner, but I'd do a monorail tour of the MK resorts (& add a boat to the Wilderness Lodge). You could stop in the lounges for a cocktail or snack, do a little shopping, explore the resorts. A drink at Trader Sam's would satisfy the beach/tiki vibe - not sure what your friend would think of the menu. Have fun!!

Whispering Canyon sounds fun. It's not a traditional sit-down dinner, but I'd do a monorail tour of the MK resorts (& add a boat to the Wilderness Lodge). You could stop in the lounges for a cocktail or snack, do a little shopping, explore the resorts. A drink at Trader Sam's would satisfy the beach/tiki vibe - not sure what your friend would think of the menu. Have fun!!
the monorail is a great idea. I am actually taking her to trader sams the first night we get there because she loves tiki bars. It sounds right up both our alleys lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter