Recent & Rumored Changes Turning Me Off

I used to take at least one trip a year but haven't returned yet since covid. I have a trip planned in December. I've reserved a room and cancelled a few times - not because of covid - but the price of the entire trip was too much. As a family of 4 (Disney adults) we usually tried to hit up the free dining times and the loss of that really eats into the budget.

I priced out our December trip (value hotel) and I'm up to $5100 for just the room, 7 day PH tickets, 4 Christmas AH tickets. I still need to add travel, food and some misc. expenses. It's too much for what I'm getting and I'm already planning to make a shorter trip and not stay the week.

I priced out a really nice trip to US/IOA (I don't like them that much I'll admit) and I could stay in the Hard Rock hotel (stayed there before and loved it) and it comes with free express passes for a good deal less - slightly shorter trip but I felt it was a much better value.

Perhaps that is what they are trying to accomplish, maybe they no longer want my family of four and extended family to plan yearly trips to WDW.

The Covid excuse is wearing thin. I used to love planning our trips and lately I have had no interest. No deals to be had on the horizon and no fast passes, dining plans.

While we never needed the Magical Express it was always impressed upon us that the price of our package included this amazing service. So since this is transitioning into a paid service where is the discounted package to reflect this?

Same with fastpass, if this comes back as a paid only option, will the ticket prices go down? Of course not, but these were included in the price of a regular ticket.

I learned all the tips and tricks and had every trip planned to perfection, but it was not easy to navigate and I spent way too many days searching for the elusive fastpass or ADR. I just feel like it should not have to be this hard. We have been so loyal for decades and I can’t help but feel like they are trying to screw us at this point. $600+ a night for deluxe rooms and paid parking, park reservations.

MNSSHP was a favorite and honestly, MK feels a bit off to us now if not adorned with Mickey pumpkins, but our last one in 2019 was so overcrowded. I get that they are aware of this so they up the price or for now make it a 3 hour event with less to do and double to pay, but why not just limit capacity? Because it’s a business and they need to make money especially after last year, but hey, they say 3rd quarter was amazing, right? So, just wondering, where is the love Disney? Merch is super fun and all, but again is this the best we can do? Gold statues, cute, but not getting me to book a trip.

I am just wondering, are we done with our WDW trips? We can only look the other way and grin and bear it for so long with the price increases and hoops to jump through.

Lastly, I am not reserving judgment on the monstrosity that is in the middle of world showcase, it is ugly and makes me sad.

Okay, vent over. 😁
I agree. It has become way too complicated to plan a trip and the Covid issues have increased that 10 fold. I'm losing interest and I used to really enjoy planning our trips. Not anymore.

I count myself soooo lucky that I love UO - because I'm getting far more for my spend there. Glad WDW doesn't have the same hold on me that it once did. UO gets all my money now.
I feel lucky to absolutely adore both for very different reasons. Twice the fun!

Though WDW got money that had been set for a UO trip because the express pass price was absolutely bonkers and all deluxe rooms were full. $350/day per person was a bit more than I wanted to spend for that, so WDW got all that money.

I agree. It has become way too complicated to plan a trip and the Covid issues have increased that 10 fold. I'm losing interest and I used to really enjoy planning our trips. Not anymore.
How do you find it complicated? Just curious. I find it significantly easier than most other vacations I take.

How do you find it complicated? Just curious. I find it significantly easier than most other vacations I take.
The biggest pain is I have to decide months in advance which parks I want to be in on which days. This is before I know my flights or can make dinning reservations. Then add on top of that park hoping and fast pass reservations when that comes back.

I haven't had to decide months in advance except for October 1, and I had the opportunity to change that multiple times since I made it when they opened up more capacity. I suppose it is more complicated than just deciding which park to visit the same day (but most of the time you can do that, too.)

If nothing else, 60 days is proving to be too little time to decide on restaurants.

Our story is the same. First visit in 1986. Would buy 5 day tickets and use them over 2 long weekends per year. Have watched all the new parks and mini golf and expansion of the Disney Village and all the hotels built etc. etc.! But always said Disney's not expensive, it's cheaper than a week at the Jersey Shore!! We actually did 3 one week trips as recently as 2011. Now we're down to every other year and this January may be our last.

My hope is that the daily fee can be added as part of a park reservation and not to my whole ticket. Don't need it for every park every day. I barely ride anything.

:hug: I am right there with you. 1st visit in 1987. Two young marrieds. Visited all as our family expanded. Grand-moms coming along to enjoy their g-kids at all different ages. Now visiting with our adult kids who are avid fans. So many memories and so much sentimental attachment that is a big part of the draw to return and make more memories BUT>>>>
I've always said, "at some point they will price us out". Sadly, I know they've already priced out many. If Genie wants $15-25 pp to have essentially a FP for one ride, then we will be priced out. I'm not the first person to say, "We COULD afford it, but we WON'T pay that." WDW was always a vacation that carried a higher price tag than others we've taken but it was always packed with a lot of value for your vaca dollar. Things like DME, complimentary MBs, in park pop-up live entertainment, and many other small nuances that felt like "extras" but were all included in your resort stay/park admission. We always came away feeling like we got our money's worth.
I'm trying to be patient with the changes due to Covid but I agree that WDW is using this pandemic as a way of eliminating things that used to be experience enhancement and NOT bring them back. We're not so stupid as to not see this. As my Dad used to say, "Don't pee in my face and tell me it's raining" LOL

I used to take at least one trip a year but haven't returned yet since covid. I have a trip planned in December. I've reserved a room and cancelled a few times - not because of covid - but the price of the entire trip was too much. As a family of 4 (Disney adults) we usually tried to hit up the free dining times and the loss of that really eats into the budget.

I priced out our December trip (value hotel) and I'm up to $5100 for just the room, 7 day PH tickets, 4 Christmas AH tickets. I still need to add travel, food and some misc. expenses. It's too much for what I'm getting and I'm already planning to make a shorter trip and not stay the week.

I priced out a really nice trip to US/IOA (I don't like them that much I'll admit) and I could stay in the Hard Rock hotel (stayed there before and loved it) and it comes with free express passes for a good deal less - slightly shorter trip but I felt it was a much better value.

Don't forget to add in the cost for Genie + and the Add-on package....

Perhaps that is what they are trying to accomplish, maybe they no longer want my family of four and extended family to plan yearly trips to WDW.

The Covid excuse is wearing thin. I used to love planning our trips and lately I have had no interest. No deals to be had on the horizon and no fast passes, dining plans.

While we never needed the Magical Express it was always impressed upon us that the price of our package included this amazing service. So since this is transitioning into a paid service where is the discounted package to reflect this?

Same with fastpass, if this comes back as a paid only option, will the ticket prices go down? Of course not, but these were included in the price of a regular ticket.

I learned all the tips and tricks and had every trip planned to perfection, but it was not easy to navigate and I spent way too many days searching for the elusive fastpass or ADR. I just feel like it should not have to be this hard. We have been so loyal for decades and I can’t help but feel like they are trying to screw us at this point. $600+ a night for deluxe rooms and paid parking, park reservations.

MNSSHP was a favorite and honestly, MK feels a bit off to us now if not adorned with Mickey pumpkins, but our last one in 2019 was so overcrowded. I get that they are aware of this so they up the price or for now make it a 3 hour event with less to do and double to pay, but why not just limit capacity? Because it’s a business and they need to make money especially after last year, but hey, they say 3rd quarter was amazing, right? So, just wondering, where is the love Disney? Merch is super fun and all, but again is this the best we can do? Gold statues, cute, but not getting me to book a trip.

I am just wondering, are we done with our WDW trips? We can only look the other way and grin and bear it for so long with the price increases and hoops to jump through.

Lastly, I am not reserving judgment on the monstrosity that is in the middle of world showcase, it is ugly and makes me sad.

Okay, vent over. 😁

Here's the thing. Fast pass was designed and all that money spent to get us into the stores and restaurants. Instead, we all used the time to ride other rides. So uh yeah. So I'm not surprised if they're going to want us to pay for them. I can't really say what I think of that here.

MNSSHP was great. The new thing, uh I'm good at waiting virtually zero to fifteen minutes on rides so I really don't need to pay for that privilege. And really, the kids aren't at the optimum age any more for MNSSHP any more. So when it comes to the Halloween and Xmas parties for our family.

The Planning horizen pre covid was way long. At Disneyland, it was just way shorter and way easier.

I'm just not deluxe fiber so I can't really complain about that. $400 was too much for me. $300 was too much for me. So $600 uh no. We only use our room to flop anyway so it has always been values for us.

As for discounts, I'm lucky enough to have gone during the golden age of free meal plan. where even in the values you got
1 sit down (app, entree, desert, drink, all taxes, and tip!!!) Oh and at some places you could get the add ons too!!!! HAHA.
1 counter (entree, desert, drink, all taxes)
1 snack (all taxes)
I doubt Disney shall pass that way again.

As for Epcot, Hey, maybe this is a time portal that can transport us back to awesome free meal plan at Spoodles!!!

It doesn't mean I won't go. But we've cut back on our trip plans even before covid. Disney's great but it's not the only thing in the world to go see.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. Fast pass was designed and all that money spent to get us into the stores and restaurants. Instead, we all used the time to ride other rides. So uh yeah. So I'm not surprised if they're going to want us to pay for them. I can't really say what I think of that here.

MNSSHP was great. The new thing, uh I'm good at waiting virtually zero to fifteen minutes on rides so I really don't need to pay for that privilege. And really, the kids aren't at the optimum age any more for MNSSHP any more. So when it comes to the Halloween and Xmas parties for our family.

The Planning horizen pre covid was way long. At Disneyland, it was just way shorter and way easier.

I'm just not deluxe fiber so I can't really complain about that. $400 was too much for me. $300 was too much for me. So $600 uh no. We only use our room to flop anyway so it has always been values for us.

As for discounts, I'm lucky enough to have gone during the golden age of free meal plan. where even in the values you got
1 sit down (app, entree, desert, drink, all taxes, and tip!!!) Oh and at some places you could get the add ons too!!!! HAHA.
1 snack (all taxes)

As for Epcot, Hey, maybe this is a time portal that can transport us back to awesome free meal plan at Spoodles!!!
View attachment 598098

It doesn't mean I won't go. But we've cut back on our trip plans even before covid. Disney's great but it's not the only thing in the world to go see.

1 snack (all taxes)

View attachment 598098

I haven't been since September, so not completely up on the lagoon monstrosities, but WHAT IN THE UNIVERSE IS THAT?!!

I often wonder what Walt would have felt about all of these experiences that cost families so much $$$. The after hours parties for the holidays alone could cost a family of 4 $1000 Christmas week on top of their park admission! Wasn't he all about NOT "nickel and diming" his guests? How did they go this far off the rails?
Funny you ask how did they go this far off the rails, about the time they closed Walt’s beloved train ride around MK!

Okay, vent over. 😁
I'm right there with you! Honestly, all these recent changes have turned me off completely. I know change is inevitable and I try to see the brightside of every major change, but I feel like there hasn't been many. We used to do 1 big trip every 1-2 years, and I'm looking at finally visiting someplace else now. It makes me sad. I know Disney won't miss my money, there will be lots of people still going, but its just not worth the price anymore to me. :rolleyes2

Okay, vent over. 😁

I still haven’t processed how I feel about all this. Disney needed to make changes, pre covid the parks were so packed it just wasn’t enjoyable. We are local AP holders and regardless of when we visited it was always packed (we went at least 2-3 times per month). I think doing away with FP and raising prices will definitely turn some people off but 2 more people will just take their place.

We let our passes go at the start of Covid and are now Universal passholders. I look forward to going back to the parks but for now I’ll just sit back and see how this all plays out.

No bag to room service. No DME. No bag check at the hotel. No FP's... No real incentives to stay at the resorts. Park pass reservations...
The Bob's simply don't understand their customer base at all. I've been a business owner my entire life and it's always about giving the customers what they want, not what the company wants to give the customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter