Recent Room Renovation Bad for Amputees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t speak for the other resorts, but the solid surfaces at Old Key West have a bit of texture to them.
The one & two bedroom villas have vinyl wood plank floor in the kitchen/living area. It’s been solid surface for a long time (since the last partial remodel).
We have not had issues with our daughter’s wheelchair slipping.

The flooring in the newly remodeled bathrooms is large format ceramic tile with a dull finish. It also has a bit of texture and we have not had issues with DD’s chair slipping.
We need to lift her, so slipping can be an issue for us on some surfaces.

The bathrooms always had hard surface, so anyone who was concerned about hard surface floors has already dealt with that.

It’s not unreasonable to suggest wearing non-slip footwear in the room if someone is concerned about slipping.

....and, no. No one would be expecting anyone wearing footwear in bed. If someone is concerned about slipping, they would have it near the bed.
I work in a hospital and wearing non slip footwear is one of the common sense things that is taught amputees and people at risk of falls.

(I don’t know of any leg amputees who would be wearing their prosthetic leg(s) to bed).

But it's a hotel room, not your own private bedroom. I never go barefoot in a hotel room, ew!

Agreed.

I once wore a pair of white socks while walking on a hotel room carpet from the bedroom to the bathroom and back. Lets just say the sock bottoms were no longer white.

Ever since, we wear footwear at all times in any hotel room except when in the shower or on the bed. We bring Crocs specifically for this purpose, which are our "hotel room shoes". As at home, outdoor shoes come off when we get in the hotel room and the indoor Crocs immediately go on the feet, so we aren't tracking outdoor allergens and whatever else all over the room. No barefeet and no sockfeet allowed on the floor.

From a "great for allergies" and "easier to clean" standpoint we love the new laminate floors and at WDW will now only stay in rooms that have them. Makes quite a difference for our allergies.

SW

I can’t speak for the other resorts, but the solid surfaces at Old Key West have a bit of texture to them.
The one & two bedroom villas have vinyl wood plank floor in the kitchen/living area. It’s been solid surface for a long time (since the last partial remodel).
We have not had issues with our daughter’s wheelchair slipping.

The flooring in the newly remodeled bathrooms is large format ceramic tile with a dull finish. It also has a bit of texture and we have not had issues with DD’s chair slipping.
We need to lift her, so slipping can be an issue for us on some surfaces.

This is DVC's 360 views of the Copper Creek studio, in which you can get a good view of the flooring and can see that it also has a texture to it. Is it similar to OKW's in that regard ?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Zp7gtUdZMZy

SW

image.jpg image.jpg
This is DVC's 360 views of the Copper Creek studio, in which you can get a good view of the flooring and can see that it also has a texture to it. Is it similar to OKW's in that regard ?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Zp7gtUdZMZy

SW
Yes.
It looks very similar to the living room/kitchen in OKW (the bottom picture).

The top picture is the bathroom flooring at OKW (just for the heck of it because I am at OKW and can easily take pictures.)

You wear shoes to bed?

No, but I wear socks. Does the amputee wear the prosthetic to bed?

Not everyone has a problem with going barefoot in a hotel room. Some people won't touch anything and disinfect every surface before they let their family in the room while others just move in. Neither is right or wrong but an individual preference. A disabled person that is slipping on the new flooring is a liability to Disney. It is an issue that Disney should address but they need their guests to share their experiences so that they are aware of the problem.

Why would they be liable for a floor? They are not adding anything that would make it slippery. It's just flooring. They have the fake hardwood flooring in many of their hotel rooms. There's laminate stuff everywhere in the USA - it's not a new situation.

No, but I wear socks. Does the amputee wear the prosthetic to bed?
Why would they be liable for a floor? They are not adding anything that would make it slippery. It's just flooring. They have the fake hardwood flooring in many of their hotel rooms. There's laminate stuff everywhere in the USA - it's not a new situation.

Slip and falls claims are one of the biggest causes of liability claims in public spaces. For example, some hard flooring can become super slippery if it gets wet. This was a big problem at my church when they changed the carpet out for ceramic tile. Now every time it rains, they have to put these non-slip mats all over the place. Even when laminate is dry, certain shoe bottoms can slip much more than other types of flooring.

But it's a hotel room, not your own private bedroom. I never go barefoot in a hotel room, ew!

Agree 100%! I love going barefoot at home but would not dream of doing it on 'any' public floor. Did not allow our children to either - cheap shower shoes/flip flops were always a must in my packing.

Not everyone is paranoid about germs. Exposure helps build the immune system.

Not everyone is paranoid about germs. Exposure helps build the immune system.

Disagree, but whatever works for you. Compared to our family. friends, acquaintances over the years, we have had far fewer 'common' illnesses, the same with our children. We are in our 70's now. So, we don't mess with what works for us, the same should go for you if it works. :goodvibes

that's why I was wondering where the question of wearing shoes to bed came from
I mentioned walking across the bedroom floor and you replied, "... public floor...ever hear of flip flops"

Just saying, if I rent a bedroom I expect to get one with a bedroom floor in it, not a 'public floor'. If I can't trust my bare feat to a floor I don't rent that floor.

Obvious exceptions include hostels and the desert sands inn annaheim (apparently), but I've never felt the need to wear slippers to cross the bedroom floor at a wdw resort.

(I don’t know of any leg amputees who would be wearing their prosthetic leg(s) to bed).
This seems odd to me ... how do they get to bed then? My buddy walks to bed, sits, removes his prostesis, and stows it nearby. I assumed this to be a pretty standard way of things.

Why would they be liable for a floor? They are not adding anything that would make it slippery. It's just flooring.
Well, they chose a bedroom flooring that at it's best is as dangerous as a bathroom floor. The flooring in the remodeled wdw resorts is a very hard plastic. The material itself is slippery in a way that hardwood and even engineered hardwood floors are not.

For someone at risk for slipping, who takes special care when in these hard plastic or tile floors, that increased risk now follows them out of the bathroom and across the whole of their resort room. All so that Disney can reduce it's flooring costs and reduce the number of Mousekeepers it hires.

I mentioned walking across the bedroom floor and you replied, "... public floor...ever hear of flip flops"

Just saying, if I rent a bedroom I expect to get one with a bedroom floor in it, not a 'public floor'. If I can't trust my bare feat to a floor I don't rent that floor.

Obvious exceptions include hostels and the desert sands inn annaheim (apparently), but I've never felt the need to wear slippers to cross the bedroom floor at a wdw resort.

Whatever you call it, and how you view it, is up to you. To us, hotel room floors are public, varies in how sanitary they are, so we always wear foot protection, same with showers. You do not know who spent the night there before you or how thorough the floors were cleaned, so yes, they are very public. WDW hotel rooms are no different than any hotel.

This seems odd to me ... how do they get to bed then? My buddy walks to bed, sits, removes his prostesis, and stows it nearby. I assumed this to be a pretty standard way of things.
This is splitting hairs.
You were talking about people not wearing shoes or slippers to bed.

My comment was that most amputees would not be wearing their prosthetic to bed (meaning IN bed) in context.
Most would do exactly as you described and would not wear it IN bed.

The floors (at least in OKW) are vinyl plank floors - not hard plastic.
My family replaced carpet in our upstairs bedrooms with a very similar product about 18 months ago. Our reasons were that it’s easier for my daughter’s wheelchair to roll across and much easier to keep clean.

The flooring in the bathroom at OKW is large format ceramic blocks with a matte finish. The previous OKW flooring was a smaller format, shiny floor tile (very bumpy in a wheelchair and could be a tripping hazard due to individual tiles set up slightly higher than others).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter