Recent reports of dining plan kinks with a segmented reservation?

We got back last night and I had a relatively positive experience doing a segmented reservation. We were at VWL for 4 nights:

Day 1 - no DDP
Days 2/3 - DxDP
Day 4 - no DDP

We only had to get new keys on day 2. We would have had to get new ones anyway, as the plastic backing on the cards began to peel off a few hours after we got them (all 3 cards - never saw anything like this before and I have quite a collection of KTTW cards!) Had no problems whatsoever with our credits, though I will admit that even though they told me to get new keys on Day 4, I didn't. I was afraid I'd have issues with my unused credits (3 TS & 9 snacks.) We used them up over the course of the day and the key worked fine to get us back into the room late that night.

Just a few related comments. I think our experience was positive given that we added all our dining plan over consecutive nights AND we only had to get new keys once. I don't know if I'd like having to get new keys every other day. I doubt we'll do this again since my kids will both be adults on the DDP next visit and we will likely stick with TiW going forward. Speaking of which, I thought it was a little bit of a pain to use TiW with the DDP. Some of the servers seemed a little perturbed. One server at Via Napoli refused to let me use TiW for my extra charges (which were only $10 so I didn't force the issue. I wasn't in the mood to argue over $2.)

One other note. I found it was really odd how the dining plan charges showed up on the folio for the trip. I only added the DxDP on the 16th; 3 days before our arrival. On the day of check-out, I had to call for our folio as it was not on the door. I was advised our room charges were appx $626, and then she added, "plus the $359 for the DxDP." I was befuddled thinking I had paid for it ahead of time. She tried to explain but it sure seemed like I was being charged twice. Well once I went downstairs and got a copy of the folio, it made sense. At the time of check-in, my room was credited with the amount I paid for the dining plan; then the charges for it were added to the folio the next day. So they still have to show it on the folio, but MS essentially pays the resort and then the resort charges you. When you're not actually seeing the folio, it's a bit confusing.

Just a heads up for anyone planning to add the dining plan at the last minute and needing to segment the reservation. I wasn't even going to do this until 48 hours out, but I'm glad I called today.

We are going for 9 nights - 4 nights deluxe, one night with no plan, and then 4 nights regular dining. We leave in 10 days.

When I spoke to MS today and explained the above, he said no problem, let me put you on hold so I can do this for you. When he came back he said he had to take care of this through a supervisor and he was sorry it was taking so long and put me back on hold. Eventually when he came back, he said there was a problem with the system and it would not let them segment the reservation the way I needed it. He said it would take 3 for 4 days for the IT department to take care of it and someone would get back to me. They never even took my credit card information. So now, I have to wait until they "fix" the problem.

If I waited until 48 hours, like I planned, I probably would not have been able to segment it that way.

Thanks for the information.
We are going in July and I'm planning on segmenting and adding the dinning plan, so maybe I will segment now and then add the dinning a few days before to be on the safe side.

Apologies for not getting back sooner about my experience last week but much like quirty30, ErinC, brookelizabeth and others, we had an easy time using the segmented dining.
Day 1 - QSP
Day 2-4 - DDP
Day 5 - no plan

Our entire stay was at BWV and we only got one set of keys for the three adults upon check-in. Myself, MommaBear & Brother Bear.

We went to Peco's Bill @ MK and used the QSP, no issue. The cashier did comment on the "Multi" on our room key, but no problems. The receipt told the number of QSP meals used, unlike in the past when it told you the remaining credits.

There was no challenges dining experience except the day that DDP would expire. As per the norm we had some leftover snack credits. MommaBear wanted to visit the Candy Store and BrotherBear and I wanted Main Street Bakery. Only five snacks left, we divided and conquered. I told MommaBear we would use three at the Bakery and that she should use the other two.

My line at the Bakery was long and so slow... but BrotherBear and I got our three treats and headed to the Candy Store. We found MommaBear still in line. So we waited with her. Upon cashing out, she was told her key card had no credits left. Instead of getting flustered... I handed the cashier my key card, and it worked perfectly.

I guess during our entire trip only BrotherBear and I had used our key cards for dining charges. But MommaBear had not. Somehow her key card would allow her into our room, but would not allow her to use the dining credits. Funny though it would allow her to charge the snacks to the room...:confused3

So I guess check with the hotel to make sure all folks parties have the same charging privledges if you plan to separate. Fortunately I was with my mother and brother.... the... entire... time.... :laughing:

Enjoy your planning and it really seems like things are getting ironed out.

Apologies for not getting back sooner about my experience last week but much like quirty30, ErinC, brookelizabeth and others, we had an easy time using the segmented dining.
Day 1 - QSP
Day 2-4 - DDP
Day 5 - no plan

Our entire stay was at BWV and we only got one set of keys for the three adults upon check-in. Myself, MommaBear & Brother Bear.

We went to Peco's Bill @ MK and used the QSP, no issue. The cashier did comment on the "Multi" on our room key, but no problems. The receipt told the number of QSP meals used, unlike in the past when it told you the remaining credits.

There was no challenges dining experience except the day that DDP would expire. As per the norm we had some leftover snack credits. MommaBear wanted to visit the Candy Store and BrotherBear and I wanted Main Street Bakery. Only five snacks left, we divided and conquered. I told MommaBear we would use three at the Bakery and that she should use the other two.

My line at the Bakery was long and so slow... but BrotherBear and I got our three treats and headed to the Candy Store. We found MommaBear still in line. So we waited with her. Upon cashing out, she was told her key card had no credits left. Instead of getting flustered... I handed the cashier my key card, and it worked perfectly.

I guess during our entire trip only BrotherBear and I had used our key cards for dining charges. But MommaBear had not. Somehow her key card would allow her into our room, but would not allow her to use the dining credits. Funny though it would allow her to charge the snacks to the room...:confused3

So I guess check with the hotel to make sure all folks parties have the same charging privledges if you plan to separate. Fortunately I was with my mother and brother.... the... entire... time.... :laughing:

Enjoy your planning and it really seems like things are getting ironed out.

Did you have to check out and check back in on day 2 since your dining plan changed?

Did you have to check out and check back in on day 2 since your dining plan changed?

I was concerned about that too. So upon check-in I asked the front desk that exact question... but was told nope. I was able to use the same key cards the entire stay, no "check-out/check-in" was necessary.

I have read brookelizabeth's experience and she didn't do the "check-out/check-in" dance for BWV, but if I remember she did need to do it for her segmented stay at BLT. Not sure why it would be different for difference resorts, assuming same computer reservation system?

Hope this means smooth segemented stays! :upsidedow

LaNina72 - since you did not need to get new cards when your dining plan changed was your card loaded with all your credits from day 1, or did they "magically" appear each morning?

LaNina72 - since you did not need to get new cards when your dining plan changed was your card loaded with all your credits from day 1, or did they "magically" appear each morning?

csmommy - I am not sure if the card was loaded on the first day with all our meal/snack credits. When we got our receipt from the cashier it only showed what was used, and not remaining, as I remember from prior years. :confused3

I believe it was brookelizabeth who had a challenge using a TS credit for breakfast one morning. She was told the "credits" didn't post until 11a the morning of the segment finish/start. I can't speak about my experience, because all our TS were lunches or later.

Sorry I can't confirm.

Our credits seem to be loaded from checkin. The quick service and table service. We didn't try to use them out "order" really. But I know we had several snack credits left the last day that we had to burn at downtown disney. Not sure if we would have tried a table service the first day when we were on our QSP if it would have worked or not. Good question, wish I had a better answer. All our dining plan uses were either lunch or dinner. We always eat breakfast in the room. So there again, not sure when the credits are added.

OK - I may have missed this so forgive me if this question has been answered earlier in this thread. We are almost to our 7 month mark and thinking of segmenting our dining for our upcoming trip. Do we have to make seperate reservations for each "segment" or can we just have one reservation # that is segmented?

Thanks in advance for any replies to this question!

Jumping in on the 'segment' questions :-

If you have DDP for say first week of a 2week trip, what happens to any 'unused' credits ?

And is it still the case that 2 QS meals can be exchanged for 1 TS for the likes of Crystal Palace / Hollywood & Vine ?

Jumping in on the 'segment' questions :-

If you have DDP for say first week of a 2week trip, what happens to any 'unused' credits ?

And is it still the case that 2 QS meals can be exchanged for 1 TS for the likes of Crystal Palace / Hollywood & Vine ?

You cannot exchange up, only down. In other words, you can use a TS for QS(ask 1st, not all places will let you), but cannot do it the other way around - no matter how many QS you want to trade for a TS.

If you stay with the same dining plan, credits expire midnight the day after you stop paying for the dining plan. In other words you have the DDP from Monday though Friday, your credits expire by midnight Saturday. Although I always use my credits up before the parks close.

OK - I may have missed this so forgive me if this question has been answered earlier in this thread. We are almost to our 7 month mark and thinking of segmenting our dining for our upcoming trip. Do we have to make seperate reservations for each "segment" or can we just have one reservation # that is segmented?

Thanks in advance for any replies to this question!

It's all under one reservation #.

Thanks for all the DPReports;) !
I just segmented our trip on Sunday, no problem, had about a 5 minute wait while the CM got help from a supervisor to do it. Didn't actually add DP at the time, but planning on:
day 1 AK no plan(VERY late arrival)
day2 AK DxDP
day3,4 to OKW no plan
day 5 DxDP
day 6 no plan
I see from earlier reports that BWV seems to be the only resort which is preloading the DP's for the week. Is that right?
Anyone had experience at OKW yet? I was told we would have to be checking in and out too, just have my fingers crossed..... but then, I think I would rather have to pick up new KTTW on the one DDP day when we are doing breakfast, more than having to go to the desk to have the breakfast removed from our bill!!

... just kind of curious why BWV is the only resort to do it this way, you would think it would be easier on the front desk to have them all be this way??

glad i stumbled across this thread:thumbsup2Apparently, the CMs weren't all up to speed on this originally. I asked re segmenting booked trip awhile ago and was told i'd have to cancel & rebook, was afraid to chance it & lose the res outright.

I just had my May reservation segmented. OKW-1st night QSP, 2nd night DDP, 3rd night Dxl BCV-4th night DDP, 5th night DDP, 6th night DDP, 7th night DDP.

I was told by MS I would have to check out and in each day for OKW stay. We are going to have lots of mugs. I may have to bring a bag just to bring them home. (Mugs come with both QSP and DXL plans correct?)

I just had my May reservation segmented. OKW-1st night QSP, 2nd night DDP, 3rd night Dxl BCV-4th night DDP, 5th night DDP, 6th night DDP, 7th night DDP.

I was told by MS I would have to check out and in each day for OKW stay. We are going to have lots of mugs. I may have to bring a bag just to bring them home. (Mugs come with both QSP and DXL plans correct?)

So happy you are going before I do so I can see how this works out for you!!! :rotfl:

I have a similar set up, 1st night DDxP, 2nd DDP, 3rd nothing, 4th DDxP, 5th DDP, 6th nothing, 7th DDxP, 8th DDP & 9th nothing.

I was also told I would need a new card with every plan change. Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out & there will be no need for a new card each day.

So happy you are going before I do so I can see how this works out for you!!! :rotfl:

I have a similar set up, 1st night DDxP, 2nd DDP, 3rd nothing, 4th DDxP, 5th DDP, 6th nothing, 7th DDxP, 8th DDP & 9th nothing.

I was also told I would need a new card with every plan change. Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out & there will be no need for a new card each day.

I hope to post a positive experiance once we return.:thumbsup2

Well, we just returned from a fabulous stay in the world. I believe I promised to provide an update on our experience with a segmented reservation.

Our stay consisted of 2 nights at BCV in a studio (2 of us on QSP), then a move to 1 bedroom at BWV for 8 nights with 2 nights (Sunday and Tuesday) with DxDDP for 4 adults.

Needless to say, the first 2 nights at BC were not "successful" from a segmented dining perspective. For some reason, although the front desk could see we had credits available, each time we tried to use them during our first day, the system would not allow them to be used. This resulted in 3 trips back to the desk and eventually a separate dummy reservation was created into which our QSP credits were transferred, and then were available. BC manager/Patrick was the one who finally suggested this solution (after getting new cards made twice). I was worried about cancelling/rebooking and what would happen to my points since it was a DVC reservation, but he assured me they would not touch my points in order to create the new reservation. He thought our difficulty getting the credits to work may have resulted from the fact that ours was a "split stay" at 2 different resorts using 2 different types of dining plans? Interestingly, I made the BC reservation months after the BWV reservation, and initially had 2 separate confirmation numbers. Only after the system "upgrades" last fall did they merge the 2 under a new number.

At any rate, once we got to the BW portion of our stay, we had no problems whatsoever. I went to the front desk early Sunday morning to request new keys (since I was told we probably would need them we we checked in 2 days prior). Another manager helped at that time and shared that we actually did not have to request new keys unless we planned on using the "new" dining credits prior to 11am. He shared that the system would automatically load the credits after 11am (Something to do with "checking us out" of the one segment and moving us into the next). I tested this during our next segemented portion with DxDDp on Tuesday and did not go down to retrieve new keys: sure enough, the credits were available later that day.

Lastly, in order to avoid any confusion with mousekeeping (i.e. showing up at the door any morning after any of the segmented portions of our stay) I asked during check-in at BWV what nights to expect T&T and the full clean. The cast member was glad I asked since we were not scheduled for any cleaning during our 8 night stay:confused3. She immediately called housekeeping and worked out the dates. We then had T&T and full clean on those dates with no other issues.

Once again, I have to thank those that post on the Disboards for providing their experiences so I came into this prepared with a lot of information. Not all of the cast members I dealt with were as "up to speed" on the whole segmenting and the ability to have different dining plans (and not have them the entire length of stay). Overall, this was a favorable experience, despite a few minor bumps in the beginning. :cheer2:

Sadly, it's now time to return to the real world. I'm already working on getting another ticker:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter