Recent on deck, Castaway Cay air and water temps

mom4mad

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! Getting ready to sail in a few weeks, b2b Dream. I am starting to think about packing and was wondering about how the temps have been. Will we need jackets for on deck at night? Is Castaway Cay too cold to swim? Thanks in advance.

The last time we sailed at the end of January it was chilly enough for a sweater on deck in the evening. We felt the water was to chilly for our 2 year old to splash about and just played in the sand on CC. The water is about 75 degrees.

I would bring a hoodie or sweater for evenings on deck and even in the MDR's. We sailed the last week of January in 2016 and the water was definitely cool in the Bahamas. It is pretty close to Florida water temps and as a Floridian, I find the water too chilly to enjoy. :) However, a nice book on a lounger and some fresh air on the island is always a good time. And a bike ride too. That is always a nice way to spend some time.
Have a great cruise!

We are onboard the Magic right now. The temps have been in the mid 70's and breezy. With the wind and clouds, I found it a little cool - still shorts weather but I was wrapped in a towel on deck yesterday afternoon. If the sun had stayed out, it would have been fine.

At night on deck, I have worn shorts and a light hoodie and have been fine. Found the theaters to be a little cool.

Today at Castaway, I had to remind my DD that the water there was warmer than the water gets back home in the middle of summer! With that in mind, we got over the initial chill and did some great snorkeling - saw lots of different fish and even a couple of sea turtles!

We are Floridians and sail a lot during Jan or Feb. The water is too chilly for me, but my husband goes in and just takes the plunge and loves it once he gets use to it.

I always have a jacket for shows and MDR. We will be on the Magic in 10 days.......:lovestruc

Have fun!

You can always search each destination individually, but I have found this page to be helpful at a glance (you can even click on which ship you'll be on and it'll give you a specific forecast for that trip):
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/ports-of-call/port-summary/?port=3#

I'm from Florida and have sailed most of my cruises in January. It's been my past experience that It's generally warm during the day, so shorts and tees or tanks. Because of the breeze, a light jacket or sweater at night wouldn't be a bad idea, and maybe even long pants if out on the deck at night and you get cold easily. The water feels cool at Castaway Cay, but most people appeared to have found it refreshing rather than frigid. I've been snorkeling and swimming there in January and was comfortable.

We were at Castaway Cay last Monday and it was beautiful. Mid 70's air temp but I did not even venture near the water. Very few people were in the water....like 10 that I saw. There were some kids in the water by Pelican Plunge as well. Hardly anyone snorkeled.

It was also pretty breezy so most water excursions were cancelled.

MJ

Went twice in the same time frame that you are cruising.... once at CC, it was overcast and drizzling, needless to say, I did not snorkel. (Too cold for me). Another time it was at least sunny, air temp 75ish, water temp was a little too cool for me..... I went snorkeling anayways..... I ended up exiting the water shivering after about 15 minutes. I couldn't get acclamated to the water...... So, I just sat on a beach chair and enjoyed the atmosphere after the fact. Enjoy your vacation!

We also sail this time every year. We're from MA. so the water feels great if it's a sunny day! 2 years ago we (a large group of adults) were in the water all day at Serenity Bay! So fun!!

Does it seem that the water at Serenity Bay is warmer since it is more shallow than the family beach? I went to CC in November 2015 and the water was a little cool at first, but I adjusted very quickly (and I'm cold natured). I've only been to CC that one time, but going again on Feb 3 this year.

Also, we ran the 5k and were sooo hot by the end, that maybe that's why the water felt so good!

We just got off the Magic. The weather in Key West was perfect, mid 70s and sunny. Nassau was very windy but able to wear t's and shorts. Castaway Cay was the coolest day, 72 and windy but the cloud cover was most of the day so felt cooler. We swam with the stingrays and it was fine but did not spend much time in the ocean otherwise. Still a beautiful day but would have liked it to be sunnier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter