Recent experiences with port upgrades?

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
Has anyone received or ask for a port upgrade recently? If so, what time was your PAT? We are hoping to upgrade from a veranda to another type of veranda on our cruise later this month. I know our cruise is not full as of now and our PAT is 1130 and wondering if we have any chance at all. We have never requested a port upgrade so just curious how common they are.

Verandah to verandah if they have it available all depends on how many of the room types they have left etc.

They changed it a long while back to where there isn't really a discount or savings in getting an upgrade at the port so you may be required to pay prevailing rates depending on the category you want to switch to.

Every sailing I've been on since they restarted in 2021 they've had the "no upgrades" sign up every time I go by the check in counters.

We had no upgrade options available for us during out Oct 6-10 cruise on the Dream and had to check once onboard the ship and the last person had boarded. Granted that cruise has spillover from cancelled cruises due to the hurricane. For reference, we were booked in room 8536 on the Dream and were happy with the room and location.

I was on the Oct 8 Fantasy sailing, and there were several upgrade options available on our cruise. We stayed at the MCO Hyatt and were on the second bus to the port - boarding group 3. We ended up not upgrading, but the CM was able to move us to a room with a upper bunk (we were a party of 2 but my daughter really wanted a bunk bed) in the same room catergory.

They changed it a long while back to where there isn't really a discount or savings in getting an upgrade at the port so you may be required to pay prevailing rates depending on the category you want to switch to.
Are you sure? It was a bit ago but when we sailed in January we were able to upgrade from a Family Oceanview to a Family Veranda for around $200. I’m pretty certain that was a discount from doing so pre sailing.

Oct 14th Wish sailing and we were told sold out and no upgrades available.

January 2022 Fantasy and we upgraded from Family Veranda to Deluxe Family Veranda for $350ish we think. I think that was a discount from original booking prices?

We sailed on the Magic in August and inquired about upgrades. I paid $1000 to move from 7A to 5C. In the past, the discounts have been substantial, like maybe $200 for a 2 category jump. But every cruise we have taken in the last year, they seem to be creeping up to the point where it's not worth the stress of getting to the port early. It's easier to just do it at home and know you have the room you want. Concierge was marginally better but not near the discounts they offered in he past. And availability is usually very limited. If you don't really care and want to see what happens, nothing wrong with showing up to the port and seeing what they offer. But don't expect the deep discounts they used to offer. If you really want a better room, I would book it now and not risk disappointment. I was very disappointed because I spent 3 times what I expected for my upgrade. But I really did not want the 7A room.

Jennifer

Are you sure? It was a bit ago but when we sailed in January we were able to upgrade from a Family Oceanview to a Family Veranda for around $200. I’m pretty certain that was a discount from doing so pre sailing.
I stand Corrected then apparently.

I from my own experience Standard Verandah to Concierge verandah was essentially the same price (2K or so) as if I had booked it before. In any case, if they are still offering a savings thats great.

Can someone tell me what the differences are between categories? I assumed upgrades just meant going from an inside room to oceanview or oceanview to verandah. I'm confused about these number/letter categories. TIA

Can someone tell me what the differences are between categories? I assumed upgrades just meant going from an inside room to oceanview or oceanview to verandah. I'm confused about these number/letter categories. TIA
The number and letter categories correspond to location on the ship. If you do a search for deck plans, the categories are usually listed so you can get an idea of where they are on the ships.

So one of the examples above was 9D (Oceanview) to 5B (Verandah). The Deck plans charts show exactly what each stateroom is and they price them by Category. 5A is more Expensive than 5C and so on...

I was on the October 6-10 Dream cruise. I originally booked an ocean view room using the OGT rate. When we got to port I asked and about upgrades and they said to check on the ship. We were one of the first ones on the ship after concierge. When I checked at customer service they said there were no rooms available but they said it was possible that there could be cancellations so they took my information and said they would contact me if something became available. A couple of hours later (just before the muster drill) I received a message on the app to check at customer service on my upgrade request. They offered me an upgrade to a standard verandah on the same floor for $140. We took it and switched rooms. The room steward was awesome and even helped to move our things.

Port upgrades are not prevailing rates, but the amount of "discount" will vary based on several factors:
  • booked category
  • new category
  • sail date
  • when you booked/at what price
Someone who booked on opening day with a low fare for an interior stateroom may find the upgrade to be a bigger savings over changing categories before arrival than someone who booked 6 weeks ago and asks about that same upgrade. And next cruise it could be different for a similar upgrade option.

I was on the October 6-10 Dream cruise. I originally booked an ocean view room using the OGT rate. When we got to port I asked and about upgrades and they said to check on the ship. We were one of the first ones on the ship after concierge. When I checked at customer service they said there were no rooms available but they said it was possible that there could be cancellations so they took my information and said they would contact me if something became available. A couple of hours later (just before the muster drill) I received a message on the app to check at customer service on my upgrade request. They offered me an upgrade to a standard verandah on the same floor for $140. We took it and switched rooms. The room steward was awesome and even helped to move our things.
Thats a great deal. I'll keep an eye out for this in the future if needed thanks!

Port upgrades are not prevailing rates, but the amount of "discount" will vary based on several factors:
  • booked category
  • new category
  • sail date
  • when you booked/at what price
Someone who booked on opening day with a low fare for an interior stateroom may find the upgrade to be a bigger savings over changing categories before arrival than someone who booked 6 weeks ago and asks about that same upgrade. And next cruise it could be different for a similar upgrade option.
This was similar to the explanation I remember reading. Thanks for Posting!

Paid $147 in May on the Dream to go from an 8D to 5A. It was a 3 night and early May so there weren't a lot of kiddos on the ship. We're hoping to upgrade our room on the Fantasy this month! We're 11am PAT and group 2 so I'm hopeful!

On the 10-10-22 Magic out of NYC there were signs that no upgrades were available. I saw signs in the terminal and another sign at guest services.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter