Recent experiences connecting through Pearson?

boogienights

Mouseketeer
We leave from Wpg in October and will have 1 hr 55 minutes to get through US customs and make our 10:15 a.m. connecting flight to MC. Flying WestJet with no checked bags and we'll be using the US mobile passport control app. Anyone have any good news, horror stories or advice on making our flight to MCO? Cancelling and changing flights isn't an option, unfortunately.

We travelled through Pearson to MCO on WestJet on Aug 16th with no issues whatsoever.

ETA: most annoying part was having to leave the secure area and go back through security. Don't understand why this is still a thing!

We leave from Wpg in October and will have 1 hr 55 minutes to get through US customs and make our 10:15 a.m. connecting flight to MC. Flying WestJet with no checked bags and we'll be using the US mobile passport control app. Anyone have any good news, horror stories or advice on making our flight to MCO? Cancelling and changing flights isn't an option, unfortunately.
I just posted about this yesterday in another thread. In our case, we waited approximately 1.5 hours in the customs line before we saw a customs agent. The following link should bring up my post:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/toronto-airport-security-line.3893356/page-2#post-64280252

Last edited:
In my experience 2 hours could be tight for a US connection at Pearson even before the pandemic and lord knows it hasn't gotten better.

We had a 1h45min connection time on August 20th. Our flight was delayed by an hour because Toronto was metering planes. So that was stressful. We had one carry-on each and one big checked bag.

We booked it through security and made it through pretty quick. But then we were stuck in the area where they clear your baggage for over an hour. Our bag was not cleared behind the scenes in enough time for us to make our flight. Luckily the next flight ended up being delayed. About 20 mins before departure, and with our flight boarding, the agents called us over to the desk. They said it was important that we not miss our flight and gave us a paper that allowed us to proceed through customs without our luggage being checked.

We ran from that point and made the flight at the last minute.

Then we waited in Orlando for over an hour for them to handle the luggage. Our checked luggage never made it. We got into our hotel at 1:30 a.m. So glad we hadn't planned anything for that first full day because we were a mess. The luggage showed up 24 hours later at our hotel.

Contrast that experience to returning home through Montreal on September 3rd. We had a 1 hour connection. All steps of the process went so smoothly. Made it through customs and to our next gate for our on-time flight with no trouble at all.

We had a 1h45min connection time on August 20th. Our flight was delayed by an hour because Toronto was metering planes. So that was stressful. We had one carry-on each and one big checked bag.

We booked it through security and made it through pretty quick. But then we were stuck in the area where they clear your baggage for over an hour. Our bag was not cleared behind the scenes in enough time for us to make our flight. Luckily the next flight ended up being delayed. About 20 mins before departure, and with our flight boarding, the agents called us over to the desk. They said it was important that we not miss our flight and gave us a paper that allowed us to proceed through customs without our luggage being checked.

We ran from that point and made the flight at the last minute.

Then we waited in Orlando for over an hour for them to handle the luggage. Our checked luggage never made it. We got into our hotel at 1:30 a.m. So glad we hadn't planned anything for that first full day because we were a mess. The luggage showed up 24 hours later at our hotel.

Contrast that experience to returning home through Montreal on September 3rd. We had a 1 hour connection. All steps of the process went so smoothly. Made it through customs and to our next gate for our on-time flight with no trouble at all.

This is why I am so glad we have a 4 hour connection in Toronto...connecting through Calgary on the way back. I'm not comfortable with anything less than 3 hours at Pearson.

We did this exact flight in May, and are doing it again next week - I'll pop back and update this thread.

In May: US Customs was the big bottle neck. Security was busy, but moved fairly well. We had Business Class seats, but were travelling with someone else in Economy, so we did not take advantage of the expedited line through security, which would have saved us a few minutes at least, and gotten us into the Customs hall sooner, which would have helped.

Only about 1/3 of the Customs booths were staffed, which caused a serious backup in the line. All around me I heard people asking to cut the line because their flights were departing, but security roamed the line and anyone attempting to move up was sent to the back again 😬 We ended up sprinting to the gate and made it with about 2 minutes to spare. There were at least 3 passengers who did not make it.

My advice: As someone from WPG I know, changing your flights is not an option, so you have to make the best of it. Everyone in your party should use the lav before you land. You don't want to waste time in the washroom. Don't stop for snacks, or shopping - head straight to security, no delays. You can get something to eat on the departures side if there's time.

You might also try to flag your Flight Attendant during the second half of the flight, and let them know you have a tight connection. If there are just a few passengers connecting to MCO on your flight, they might make an announcement and let you off first.

May the odds be ever in our favour ;)

We did this exact flight in May, and are doing it again next week - I'll pop back and update this thread.

In May: US Customs was the big bottle neck. Security was busy, but moved fairly well. We had Business Class seats, but were travelling with someone else in Economy, so we did not take advantage of the expedited line through security, which would have saved us a few minutes at least, and gotten us into the Customs hall sooner, which would have helped.

Only about 1/3 of the Customs booths were staffed, which caused a serious backup in the line. All around me I heard people asking to cut the line because their flights were departing, but security roamed the line and anyone attempting to move up was sent to the back again 😬 We ended up sprinting to the gate and made it with about 2 minutes to spare. There were at least 3 passengers who did not make it.

My advice: As someone from WPG I know, changing your flights is not an option, so you have to make the best of it. Everyone in your party should use the lav before you land. You don't want to waste time in the washroom. Don't stop for snacks, or shopping - head straight to security, no delays. You can get something to eat on the departures side if there's time.

You might also try to flag your Flight Attendant during the second half of the flight, and let them know you have a tight connection. If there are just a few passengers connecting to MCO on your flight, they might make an announcement and let you off first.

May the odds be ever in our favour ;)
Thx so much, I look forward to hearing your update. I went ahead and splurged, buying seats at the front of the plane so we can get off close to first. We aren't even taking carry ons, just small backpacks with a few changes of clothes and the barest necessities so that we can grab from under our seats and run. It's been more than three years since I've travelled. I need a vacation and will do whatever it takes to make that flight.

Thx so much, I look forward to hearing your update. I went ahead and splurged, buying seats at the front of the plane so we can get off close to first. We aren't even taking carry ons, just small backpacks with a few changes of clothes and the barest necessities so that we can grab from under our seats and run. It's been more than three years since I've travelled. I need a vacation and will do whatever it takes to make that flight.
Are you in business class, or at the front of economy?

We have approx 2 hours connecting through YYZ. (YYC to YYZ, 1hr56min layover, then YYZ to TPA) How has NEXUS been for anyone? Helping at all?

Flying with AC,we had a connection in toronto this past saturday morning,coming from orlando,and were at our gate to Ottawa in about 30 minutes.We only had carry-onsThey only let the people with connections off,while they were metering.

Flying with AC,we had a connection in toronto this past saturday morning,coming from orlando,and were at our gate to Ottawa in about 30 minutes.We only had carry-onsThey only let the people with connections off,while they were metering

*Replied to wrong post.

Last edited:
Ok, here's the report from this a.m.
Landed 8:06
Off plane 8:20 (we broke our no washrooms rule as a grande latte, bottle of water and mimosa raced through out systems 😉)
Through security 8:34
Through US Customs 8:39
Booked it to gate, here by 8:45 (boarding at 9:35 so enough time to spare).

Much smoother this time, a lot more staff, including 8 of the 11 booths in the Customs hall.

Off plane 8:20 (we broke our no washrooms rule as a grande latte, bottle of water and mimosa raced through out systems 😉)

Much smoother this time, a lot more staff, including 8 of the 11 booths in the Customs hall.
Gaaahhhh!!!!! That is very reassuring. Thank you! I have questions lol.... Did you fly WJ or AC? Did you have checked luggage? Did you use the Mobile Passport Control app for US customs?

That's great to hear that it went much smoother!

Gaaahhhh!!!!! That is very reassuring. Thank you! I have questions lol.... Did you fly WJ or AC? Did you have checked luggage? Did you use the Mobile Passport Control app for US customs?
WJ.
Two bags.
No app. There is a scanning kiosk right outside the customs hall for your boarding pass, but I didn't see any signage for an app.

What day are you flying? We are flying the same flight on Oct 6 :) fingers crossed all goes well! PS... I did download the us customs app, hopeful that might help. We are flying into Toronto the night before and staying overnight in the airport, so hopeful to start the process maybe 4 hours early around 6:30 am

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter