Recent Cali Grill experience?

MinnieTink

DIS Veteran
I've been reading a few reviews from just after the reopening of California Grill. Quite a few were bad. Any recent experience? I'm hoping they have gotten their act together and I'm looking forward to our dinner there in about 3 weeks. I would appreciate any recent feedback! Thanks!!!!

We ate there on Oct 1. We had 7:30 reservations so perfect timing for the fireworks. We were about 10 minutes early so we checked in and then ordered drinks in the lounge. The lounge was very busy with no tables to be had until after the fireworks. The bar tending staff were wonderful and let me take a taste test of some wines they recommended which was great. We were seated within 5 minutes.

Our server was fantastic. Very knowledgeable, kept the meal paced well. We had the meatballs to share as our app. These were very tasty. The mix of flavours worked well and the herbed orzo added some nice texture to the dish.

My DH had the filet and it was cooked to medium and very tender. He really enjoyed it. I had the short rib filet. The sides looked a bit bland but our server said they were willing to mix and match so I had the tomato risotto and tomato butter that comes with the filet. Amazing taste, the meat was fork tender and all of the flavours blended well.

For dessert my DH had the chocolate pudding cake. He said it was delicious. It was gone in a heartbeat! I had the lemon cheesecake. This was just okay. I thought with it being sugar free it might have a nice lemony tang to it but it was a bit bland and the meringue too dry and crunchy.

We then watched the fireworks from the new viewing area. This was amazing to see and the area is large enough that we were not crowded at all.

Overall it was an enjoyable evening. We did find it to be quite loud in the restaurant. Glad that we went - not sure that I would be in a hurry to go back.

We had a 8:50 ADR last week when fireworks were at 9:00. We got there a little early planning on watching fireworks before being seated. We got seated at 8:45. We ordered our food then went out to the new deck to watch the fireworks. The new deck is great.
We had tuna 4 ways and baked prawns. Both were delicious. For entrees we had the filet and scallops. Both were very good but I enjoyed the scallops a little more. For dessert we has the fritters and sunday sampler. My husband loved the sunday sampler, the bite I had was very good. I liked the fritters alot but was so full I only had a few bites.
I services was great. I would recommend it highly.

We ate there on Monday - it was absolutely fantastic. We had several sushi dishes, steak, scallops with gnocchi, the pork belly sushi - all of those we're delicious. One in our party ordered the salmon and said it was dry, but she is picky.

The hit among the desserts was the creme brûlée on the seasonal sampler.

We had a 9:15 reservation and arrived at 8:45 for fireworks at 9:00. Many other parties had the same idea, so we had to wait a few minutes for the elevator, but the timing worked out perfectly.

Had our first post-renovation meal there on Sept 28 & it was wonderful!

We tried the pork belly nigiri & thought it was great. Felt guilty for cheating on the Spicy Kazan but wanted to try something new & it did not disappoint.

Goat cheese ravioli is 99% the same as before. We have been obsessed with this dish for years & were so afraid it wouldn't survive. They are presenting it with more broth than before & the broth is a tiny bit richer/more tomato-y. Flavor profile is totally the same.

DH had the filet & I had the scallops. Both were perfectly prepared & full of flavor.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! It sounds like you all had good meals and good experiences with service etc. Good to hear...I was on another thread with people saying they were canceling their ADRs here due to the bad reviews, but I'm keeping mine and I can't wait!

I don't think CA Grill has changed all that much. If you enjoyed it before, you'll probably still enjoy it. Most if not all of the signature dishes are still there. My pre-refurb experiences had been very hit or miss (and more miss than hit), so maybe they're distributing the misses more evenly now ;).

I've been reading a few reviews from just after the reopening of California Grill. Quite a few were bad. Any recent experience? I'm hoping they have gotten their act together and I'm looking forward to our dinner there in about 3 weeks. I would appreciate any recent feedback! Thanks!!!!

I ate there on September 21st and quite honestly it was the best meal I have ever had truly outstanding!!!

California Grill: Amazing new menu and the Views are even better!!! (I love the new observation deck!!! Restaurant is so much more beautiful than it used to be it really reminds me of the classic contemporary!!! Right now this is the most unique menu on Disney Property!!! I expect it to change because Disney seems to tone down new menus but for now it is a Foodies Paradise!!! The Duck in all its Glory is such a fun take on a charcutery board... The Surf and Turf is very uniuqe the Bone Marrow is very creamy... Sushi is as fablous as ever... especailly the Spicy Kazan Roll (arguably the best app on WDW property)... I love the idea of the Pork Sushi its a really great way to get people to try Sushi... The Filet is INCREDIBLE and the Rissoto rivals Le Celliers as the best on property!!! All of the desserts are great honestly this restaurant is simply AMAZING!!!

We ate there for my wife's birthday on Sept. 14th and it was fantastic. This was our 25th trip to CG and we can't wait till our 26th.

I'm glad to hear all the nice reviews. We're going Nov. 2nd and I didn't want to cancel either since we've never eaten at CG. Can anyone tell me where the observation deck is? Does it block the view of diners in the restaurant? We ate at Narcoossee's last year and had a prime window spot but then all these people blocked our view of Wishes standing on the porch in front of us!

I'm glad to hear all the nice reviews. We're going Nov. 2nd and I didn't want to cancel either since we've never eaten at CG. Can anyone tell me where the observation deck is? Does it block the view of diners in the restaurant? We ate at Narcoossee's last year and had a prime window spot but then all these people blocked our view of Wishes standing on the porch in front of us!

No its nothing like Narcoossee's it is on either side of the restaurant not blocking any views :thumbsup2

California Grill has been one of our favorite restaurants for years. We just took a trip last month, and we were very excited to see the refurb, etc.

We were BEYOND disappointed. Practically all of our favorite menu choices were completely gone from the menu. And the things that we did order, we did not like at all.

No amazing teriyaki barbeque sauce on the filet, which is really what made the dish in the first place. Totally changed their scallop dish that was so good before. The good salad we used to order all the time was gone. No chocolate lava cake. It was just SO disappointing.

Plus, some of the things they put together in some of the dishes were even just unappetizing to us. (who needs breaded salmon ball cakes with their salmon dish). They offered to put the sauce that was on the chicken dish on the filet, because they said it was the same recipe as the old sauce, so I tried that one night (we gave the restaurant TWO tries while we were there) and it was horrible. The sauce was not the same at all.

We were told the things we liked from before were removed because they weren't the chef's original recipes. I guess because of the chef's ego, we couldn't get the food we enjoyed for years before. :(

Maybe it would have been better if we'd never been there before.

Overall, we were extremely disappointed. We won't be going back. :(

My 4-year old and I went on 9/27. Our reservation was for 7:20 and it was timed perfectly for the fireworks. I loved every second of our experience. I had the goat cheese ravioli, scallops, and seasonal dessert. My son had the kids steak. I enjoyed every bite. I think the only thing I would have done differently is tried a different dessert. I wasn't crazy about the one I had chosen. I would definitely recommend going.

My dad and I were there Sunday night, and it was amazing- the best meal we had. We tried the sushi, flatbread, filet, and pork two ways. I was a little nervous that the filet wouldn't be as good without the sauce they used to have, but it was delicious, as was the risotto! I thought it was better than the Yachtsman filet I'd had earlier in the week. We also had the banana fritters for dessert- and they were great even though we were way too full by that point!

null_zpsf6e0dba6.jpg

null_zpsf8dfd917.jpg

One thing I will say is that they are still working out the kinks when it comes to the timing of the meals due to new kitchen equipment & set ups (and partly, I think, because they are now getting a 3rd turn on the tables since pushing the first seating to 5p).

If you like a more leisurely pace at CG, I suggest only putting in one course at a time or at the very least, letting your server know your preference so they can try to gauge properly based on your order.

I was there a few weeks ago - we sat at the lounge and got apps and drinks.

The dragon roll - yummy. I think it's slightly different than it used to be (can't remember, it had been awhile) but it was still awesome. Also got a shrimp salad thing - fabulous.

All good!

Giving this a bump for any more recent experience.

Also wondering if anyone's picky children have enjoyed the children's entrees? When we were there last they had a very kid-friendly Mac and cheese, but I don't see it anymore. The new pizza with provolone and fresh tomato sounds good to me but my picky as anything son may not think so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter