• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Received a scam phone call at Poly

Lisacope

DIS Veteran
I don't know if this is common, but my husband was in our room today and got a call which appeared to be from the front desk. The person said that they had lost our info and could he please give us our address and CC info - he laughed and hung up. Not five minutes later the front desk called and frantically told him about scam calls that were happening - I haven't been frequenting the disboards lately so apologies if this is well known.

Yes it has happened at the resorts over the years but it is not limited to Disney. We have received these types of Scam Calls at other Major hotels around the world.

However in most cases there is no laugh from the caller.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up for those who aren't as savvy.

Anything like that I'd say "Great. I'll be right down to take care of that in person." And wait a bit to actually go down just in case whoever it was happened to have gotten onto property. (Living in NYC I may be more skittish about leaving immediately after a call like that.)

Never can be too careful, scammers and dishonest people everywhere.

I usually ignore the auto-voicemail messages you sometimes get on the room phones, but if I’m not mistaken I had one on a recent trip that was a recorded “don’t give out your personal information, we will never ask for it” type of message. I think a similar message also runs on one of the resort TV channel scrolls.

Enjoy your trip OP, thanks for the report.

Wow never had that happen! I know now to be aware. There scammers and crooks everywhere it’s ridiculous!

Especially at a hotel it is very easy to just say “Thanks! I’ll go down to the desk and take care of it in person.” My rule of thumb is unless *I* have called a company/location I do not give out my information - especially credit card info. Even if it is a call purporting to be from a company/organization I have done business with, I’ll thank whoever I am speaking with and then call the business/organization back myself.

At all the Deluxes (but not values or moderates) that I've stayed at since re-opening, we've gotten a voicemail from the resort warning us about scammers. At our last trip to the GF there was actually a flier next to the phone warning about scammers and not to give out your info over the phone. So I'm guessing this has been a fairly common occurrence at Disney.

^^ Probably the room phones at a given hotel are all in a series so it is fairly easy for scammers to determine that block of numbers. As someone mentioned above, I NEVER give out personal information to anyone who calls me regardless of what company they claim to represent since it is likely some sort of scam. That is true whether I am at home or traveling. Credit card companies all have their phone # on the back of the credit card so I would tell the person calling that I will call THEM back to verify if they are legit, likely the scammer will hang up when you say that. The official website for companies also has phone contact information. I can't name any legit reason for some company to call you asking for personal information since if you are a current customer, they would already have it on file.

The IRS NEVER calls you as the first point of contact with any tax related issues, they send letters in the mail. Occasionally, we get calls from some store we have never shopped at and they mumble the name of the person they are trying to contact indicating we haven't yet picked up our merchandise, we just hang-up on those. Other popular ones rattle off some legal mumbo/jumbo to make it sound like you are in trouble with the law. Newest ones are random text messages supposedly from UPS or FEDEX indicating we need to contact them about an issue with package delivery....even if we have nothing currently on order ............LOL. Have also seen text messages claiming our Netflix subscription has an issue (we have NEVER subscribed to Netflix), so clearly a scam as well.

A little common sense goes a long way when dealing with phone/text scams. If a call/text seems 'off', I assume it is a scammer.

Last edited:
I just got back from a trip on Saturday, and there was a letter in my room that warned about calls like that.

Thanks for the heads up for those who aren't as savvy.

Anything like that I'd say "Great. I'll be right down to take care of that in person." And wait a bit to actually go down just in case whoever it was happened to have gotten onto property. (Living in NYC I may be more skittish about leaving immediately after a call like that.)
Good point, I never considered they could be watching to see if you left the room to rob it (or you)!

Good point, I never considered they could be watching to see if you left the room to rob it (or you)!

Granted on Disney property it is probably slim odds given that they have to go through security to get there. But it is too easy to let your guard down on vacation - and especially at Disney - so I'd rather be a bit overly cautious.

Have never heard of this. THANK YOU so much for informing!! We appreciate.
(PS. People - what is wrong with them? No need to answer. Just a rhetorical question.)

Yes it has happened at the resorts over the years but it is not limited to Disney. We have received these types of Scam Calls at other Major hotels around the world.

However in most cases there is no laugh from the caller.

Dave
It was my husband laughing at the caller and hanging up because it was obvious to him that it was a scam

Granted on Disney property it is probably slim odds given that they have to go through security to get there. But it is too easy to let your guard down on vacation - and especially at Disney - so I'd rather be a bit overly cautious.
Maybe security should be stricter for all the businesses that are allowed access on property. It seems strange to consider the registered guest on property , relaxing in their room as a security risk when they knock and enter , and then Warn us with a random note placed by the phone .

Last edited:
Had this handout next to the phone at GF last week. Made me think of this thread.

View attachment 563970
I had that at YC this past weekend. We have gotten the "do not give our your personal information" message on our last three trips, all at deluxe resorts. One even came in during the middle of the night, scared me to death and woke us all up. I had actually heard security outside earlier and people frantically talking on walkie talkies so I figured something actually happened. I don't think I'd ever give our my info, no reason to, just walk on down to the desk myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter