• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recall something (wrong) your parent did when you were a kid

Without any warning at all, my parents dropped my younger sister and I (we were in Kindergarten and 1st grade) off at our grandmother's house and they didn't return for a year. They were going through a divorce. I cannot recall them calling us at all (though they must have on our birthdays, at least).

I have my list of grievances, but I know other people had it worse.

I don't remember this since I was too young, but my parents took the middle seat out of their VW van back in the 60s and put a play pen in it's place for me. We took a road trip to Mexico to see my grandparents from New England.

I will say though, that they did think of safety with us kids as we/they got older. They bought these leash-type restraints that were used as seat-belts before there was such a thing. We were pretty free to be in different positions in the car seats (lying down, sitting up) but the belts would have been kept from flying through a windshield if we'd been in an accident.

When Star Wars was released, my dad took me to the movie theater, but all the tickets were sold out. He then told me that he was going to teach me how to sneak into the theater without paying. Dad told the usher that I needed to use the bathroom, and he let us past the turnstile. Dad then quickly rushed me into the theater and took two seats. He proudly whispered to me how easy it was to get in without paying. I told him that what he was doing was wrong, and made him leave. I was four at the time.

Dad used to steal our Christmas trees, too. Would jump the fence of the tree lot late at night and grab a tree.

When we would go to the zoo, Dad would insist on going into the reptile house. He knew that I was afraid, so he would carry me in and then press my little face against the glass of the rattlesnake or cobra exhibit. To this day, I refuse to enter a reptile house at the zoo.

I'm not a young person and my parents are of the "greatest generation". I recall them not being very PC. Not mean or malicious by any means. Some of the things I recall being said would never be acceptable today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter