reassigning magic bands?

mistysue

DIS Veteran
I feel like I should know this one but I've never cared so never paid attention. :laughing:
My brother's family is joining us. This is a first trip, so they will have exactly one band per person.

Can we take an old band and reassign it to our niece who is too short for some rides, then let someone else use her Genie+ to get a second ride without stealing the neice's band off her wrist?

I feel like I should know this one but I've never cared so never paid attention. :laughing:
My brother's family is joining us. This is a first trip, so they will have exactly one band per person.

Can we take an old band and reassign it to our niece who is too short for some rides, then let someone else use her Genie+ to get a second ride without stealing the neice's band off her wrist?
No, but you could get Niece an RFID plastic card, which would essentially function as a clone of her band.

Perfect, that's what I thought. It seemed a little too easy to walk in with a bag of extra bands.

You cannot reassign a. Magicband once it is assigned.
Do you mean during a particular day/trip, or ever? I have some magic bands that I bought for the people we traveled with on our last trip. (I managed their profiles on MDE.) I would like to reassign those bands to my kids for our upcoming family trip this summer. Is that possible?

Do you mean during a particular day/trip, or ever? I have some magic bands that I bought for the people we traveled with on our last trip. (I managed their profiles on MDE.) I would like to reassign those bands to my kids for our upcoming family trip this summer. Is that possible?
Not possible. Once assigned in My Disney Experience, the bands are non-transferable.

Ever.

Magic Bands cannot be reassigned...ever. Once they are attached to a MDE profile (person), they cannot be switched to another profile.

Thanks everyone. I guess my (pointless) follow-up question would be . . . why not? Is it just that Disney wants to sell more MagicBands?

Ok so you actually can reassign a magic band at the resort. I did it one time because my daughter‘s old magic band was too small (we had torn the excess off to make it smaller but she had grown a lot since then). I had brought 2 with me (assigned to me) and the front desk at the resort was able to reassign one of mine to her. And I can confirm that it did indeed work to enter the parks.

Thanks everyone. I guess my (pointless) follow-up question would be . . . why not? Is it just that Disney wants to sell more MagicBands?
I realized after I asked that if we were widely available to reassign them there would be a thriving resale market.
While it would be easy to speculate that it's so they can sell more, I suspect the underlying reason is the batteries die. They aren't meant to be used over years and years and years.

I didn’t think you could but the CM at check in said it was totally possible and reassigned two of our bands no problem.

I've had one reassigned once, which was back in 2017 (called Disney IT and they did it) - but it had not yet been used for park entry and I think that's the key. When the CM did the reassigning maybe that was before either was used for park entry?

I've had one reassigned once, which was back in 2017 (called Disney IT and they did it) - but it had not yet been used for park entry and I think that's the key. When the CM did the reassigning maybe that was before either was used for park entry?
No my daughter had used it for park entry in 2019. They reassigned it to my mom

To those that had them reassigned. Interesting! I never heard of that before. I wonder if it’s a possible thing but not an everyday/encouraged thing?

To those that had them reassigned. Interesting! I never heard of that before. I wonder if it’s a possible thing but not an everyday/encouraged thing?
It's definitely possible, because Disney once swapped my spouse's and my band assignments (without us asking for it, in the middle of a trip) - and then swapped them back, when a CM looked into why our finger scans were no longer working correctly.

So when they say they "can't" be assigned, Disney really means they 'won't" be reassigned...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter