• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reason for less elevators on the Wish?

I am waiting til onboard to pass judgement on the lift situation but completely see issues with the positioning. I am visually impaired and so can not use stairs (I have no depth perception so would just fall straight on my face as the stairs have blended carpets so I can't see the edges of them). People who don't have issues completely do no get how those of us who can't get around so easily find things and statements like "walking never killed anyone" is just harsh and uncalled for. We all have different needs and for a lot of us that includes elevators. I am glad that some people don't have issues because that hopefully means that people will leave the elevators for those of us that actually need them.

The positioning of the ADA cabins is an interesting one. I've never booked one as they really aren't built for visual issues so there's no need. I always try and position myself near an elevator but that's by luck as I don't need an ADA cabin. If I did then I feel I would be stuck having to navigate further and could see potential issues especially with obstacles like cleaning trolleys to contend with. I wonder what the theory was on positioning as to me it seems more based on "we can give them the room here" rather than thinking about logistics.

I was responding to the rude comments that Americans are fat and need to walk more by reminding the other poster that some guests can't walk up the stairs and need the elevators.

Anyway, Disney put a bunch of the accessible rooms at the far ends of the ship, so guests with disabilities might not have much choice in where they're staying.
There are a few accessible cabins at the rear and front, but there seem to be some right next to each set of elevators on almost every deck according to the deck plans.

My mom cruised between rounds of chemo for lung cancer. Do you think she could have just jogged up and down the stairs?
Some day, you or your family members might not have such perfect health that you now take for granted, and you'll eat those words. :rolleyes:
A little bit of walking never hurt anyone. Responding with your personal experiences to make others feel bad does not negate the fact that walking is good for you.

A little bit of walking never hurt anyone. Responding with your personal experiences to make others feel bad does not negate the fact that walking is good for you.
But, again, and I can't believe that I have to write this more than once, some people cannot walk at all, or cannot walk to the stairs, or cannot walk up and down the stairs.

There are plenty of older people, sick people, injured people, disabled people, very young people (toddlers), and others that cannot walk up or down multiple flights of stairs.

Yet DCL has the accessible staterooms at the aft. My wife and I had an aft facing accessible stateroom on the DVC cruise (9180). She can walk, but not far, so she uses a collapsible wheelchair on the ship to get around. Not only was it a long walk between stateroom and "aft" elevators, but the hallways are not that wide and many time she would have to get out of the chair to get past the housekeeping carts, while I collapsed the chair to get it past the cart(s).

Same with us. We had one party member who needed a wheelchair and she often had to get up and we would have to close the wheelchair to pass but often there was a room host around who would move the cart into an alcove so we could pass. We had cabins 9666 and 9668 aft and it was a long walk. Also not easy pushing a wheelchair on new carpet!!

We had to rent a wheelchair once onboard as our friend didn't think she would need it but she did. I asked at guest service as soon as we boarded and was given an old wheelchair that had a Disney Wonder sign on it. I was just glad they had one that we could use. They would charge our account $250 if it was not returned. We certainly didn't plan on keeping it LOL! They don't actually put a hold on your account...they would just charge you if not returned.

MJ
Thank you both for posting your experiences. We have an aft accessible room booked in December since my mom will be staying with us. I am taking her transport chair but thought about renting an ECV like we do in the parks but it sounds like it would be extremely difficult to maneuver in the hallways.

But, again, and I can't believe that I have to write this more than once, some people cannot walk at all, or cannot walk to the stairs, or cannot walk up and down the stairs.

There are plenty of older people, sick people, injured people, disabled people, very young people (toddlers), and others that cannot walk up or down multiple flights of stairs.
Thank you for detailing all of the people who could have mobility issues. We all know that list.

yet the vast majority on this thread/board are exactly the same as those on the cruise ship and at WDW these days, who rather than getting some exercise and maintaining fitness would rather rely on elevators & ECV's

I've never seen so many ECV's anywhere else in the world in one congested space than a Disney Cruise or WDW.... It cant possibly be a coincidence and *Spoiler Alert* it isn't that these activities attract the disabled... More often than not, its the lazy.

We are currently on the Wish & feel overall the elevators are not a negative- even at show dump of the evening show the wait was less than we’ve had on other ships. I love that the ‘notification arrows’ are perpendicular so you can easily see which one arrived.

As a 70 yo with no cartridge left in either knee, I do walk as much as possible. When doing stairs i can only do one step at a time. I kindly stop to let faster people by me when needed. However, they don’t need to make snide remarks about my slowness. You never know what life will throw your way as you age. I used to run up and down stairs with ease. So please don’t judge another’s ability. Try to be understanding or We will curse you with painful issues when you reach our age.

Last edited:
yet the vast majority on this thread/board are exactly the same as those on the cruise ship and at WDW these days, who rather than getting some exercise and maintaining fitness would rather rely on elevators & ECV's

I've never seen so many ECV's anywhere else in the world in one congested space than a Disney Cruise or WDW.... It cant possibly be a coincidence and *Spoiler Alert* it isn't that these activities attract the disabled... More often than not, its the lazy.
I've seen very, very few ECVs on Disney cruises. There are usually only a handful of them on a given cruise and most of them are occupied by older people.

Regardless, we don't need rude, judgey people telling others how to live. We're here to enjoy cruising, not to get lectured about how fat and lazy Americans are, or whatever.

I think we are completely off topic here but just to say it is this kind of attitude that really does hurt people with genuine conditions that require these adjustments. Try not to judge people as you really can't tell whats wrong with a person just by looking at them. Whether you think people are lazy or not, lots of people require ECVs and other mobility devices and your judgement based on how lazy they appear is archaic. Thank you for making judgement over myself and others. I thought we were meant to be a forum for support not to just insult people but clearly you think otherwise.

In terms of the elevators, I hope EVERYONE who feels the need to use them for whatever reason does so and isn't shamed by people like you into thinking its a bad thing. If you need an elevator you need an elevator full stop.

I am travelling on the Wish in September and will make my own judgement then as to whether it feels like there aren't enough elevators. Personally I get the move to try and reduce the flow straight out of the theatre into the elevator as that was always a pressure point and it will be interesting to see how it feels only having the two lots. Would be great to get some real life experience on how busy they feel as well if anyone has travelled in the last two weeks. Were there any times when you think they were extremely busy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter