• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Real ID: Married Women Beware!

The inconsistency between states and even between different DMV employees within the same office is frustrating. Yes, I DO believe that people especially from older generations are being punished by these stricter requirements when they received all their official ID documents at a time when things were much more lax, and no one could have perceived a future where things would be so strict.

When my mom went in to get her Real ID, she looked at the website to make sure she had everything, and while it did mention "documents pertaining to name change" it didn't even occur to her that it meant changing through marriage, as she has been married for over 40 years. So at any rate she was sent away and told to bring her marriage license next time. They have probably changed the website to be more specific now because I think that was an issue for a lot of women, not realizing they needed their marriage license (in fact my mom said she overheard the same issue with a woman at the counter next to her). So anyway, she comes back with her marriage certificate (from the 70s)...it is signed, it is SEALED. Nowhere on it does it say that it's unofficial. The DMV lady takes one look at it and says, "This won't work. This is just "the pretty one" they send you."

Now I have no idea if being young she was thrown off by the ornateness of an older marriage certificate and just figured it couldn't possibly be real, but it DID have a seal and she still wouldn't accept it! So my mom was turned away again and had to send in for another certificate (out of state) for like $15 or whatever. Brought THAT one in and apparently (I wasn't there) the clerk still hemmed and hawed over it for whatever reason but finally decided to accept it.

I really have no idea if she ever even needed her marriage certificate to get a new driver's license back in the 70s under her married name, but if she did then that one was perfectly acceptable at the time. Her Real ID is still pending because of an eye issue (which is another completely ridiculous story I won't get into), but she's also worried about the fact that a clerk pointed out her middle name on her birth certificate has an h in it (Theresa) whereas all of her other documents do not (all the ones filled out by her as an adult). She just knows her middle name is Teresa and never even looked that closely at her birth certificate to know they spelled it with an h on there. The clerk who saw it said kind of smugly, "I'll bet I'm the first person who ever noticed that." So aside from the license issue she's also now afraid that they will end up denying her her social security benefits in a few years all because of that h.

I had my own issues with obtaining a Real ID, though not as bad. First I couldn't find my social security card after turning the house upside down looking for it, so I had to go to the SS office to get it replaced (not a huge deal, my fault I guess). The big problem is proof of residency. This becomes an issue when you have all of your mail sent to a P.O. Box and have done so for many years. I did manage to get ahold of one acceptable piece that has my actual address on it so that was fine, but then they suddenly decided that you need TWO proof of residence documents after they had already processed over two million Real IDs using only one. They had no idea yet how they were going to fix this, but when I went to the DMV they were still allowing just one for the next week or so, so I did get my ID. Now apparently they are sending out forms to people and all they have to do is sign it and send it in as proof of residence, but I still have no idea what they are planning to do with those of us with P.O. Boxes because I got my ID in April and I have yet to receive anything in the mail about that second piece.

So anyway, lucky to those of you who live in a state that seems to have everything all figured out. Here it's a mess. They closed all the DMV offices a few weeks ago for "training" on Real ID compliance.
I wouldn't stress about social security benefits too much. My Father-in-law has been collecting over 10 years. He was born on the 2nd. His birth certificate has the 3rd (he was born at home and probably that is the day they went to the hospital) He has been able to register for the military and collect social security and get a driver's license (before REAL ID) with his original birth certificate where his mom crossed out the 3rd and wrote the 2nd!
Same with my MIL who went by her middle name and her documentation was all mixed up. It was a problem for the cruise ship, but never a social security problem.

I didn't even think to bring my passport in as it had expired 2016. Gosh if I had known that I would have in a heartbeat! :(

Most places (especially a dept of motor vehicles) won't accept any kind of expired document as proof of citizenship. The only exception I know of is that the State Dept will accept one for a passport application. There are of course documents that don't expire, such as a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship. And once upon a time INS used to issue green cards that didn't expire.

The inconsistency between states and even between different DMV employees within the same office is frustrating. Yes, I DO believe that people especially from older generations are being punished by these stricter requirements when they received all their official ID documents at a time when things were much more lax, and no one could have perceived a future where things would be so strict.

When my mom went in to get her Real ID, she looked at the website to make sure she had everything, and while it did mention "documents pertaining to name change" it didn't even occur to her that it meant changing through marriage, as she has been married for over 40 years. So at any rate she was sent away and told to bring her marriage license next time. They have probably changed the website to be more specific now because I think that was an issue for a lot of women, not realizing they needed their marriage license (in fact my mom said she overheard the same issue with a woman at the counter next to her). So anyway, she comes back with her marriage certificate (from the 70s)...it is signed, it is SEALED. Nowhere on it does it say that it's unofficial. The DMV lady takes one look at it and says, "This won't work. This is just "the pretty one" they send you."

Now I have no idea if being young she was thrown off by the ornateness of an older marriage certificate and just figured it couldn't possibly be real, but it DID have a seal and she still wouldn't accept it! So my mom was turned away again and had to send in for another certificate (out of state) for like $15 or whatever. Brought THAT one in and apparently (I wasn't there) the clerk still hemmed and hawed over it for whatever reason but finally decided to accept it.

I really have no idea if she ever even needed her marriage certificate to get a new driver's license back in the 70s under her married name, but if she did then that one was perfectly acceptable at the time. Her Real ID is still pending because of an eye issue (which is another completely ridiculous story I won't get into), but she's also worried about the fact that a clerk pointed out her middle name on her birth certificate has an h in it whereas all of her other documents do not (all the ones filled out by her as an adult). She just knows what her middle name is and never even looked that closely at her birth certificate to know they spelled it with an h on there. The clerk who saw it said kind of smugly, "I'll bet I'm the first person who ever noticed that." So aside from the license issue she's also now afraid that they will end up denying her her social security benefits in a few years all because of that h.

I had my own issues with obtaining a Real ID, though not as bad. First I couldn't find my social security card after turning the house upside down looking for it, so I had to go to the SS office to get it replaced (not a huge deal, my fault I guess). The big problem is proof of residency. This becomes an issue when you have all of your mail sent to a P.O. Box and have done so for many years. I did manage to get ahold of one acceptable piece that has my actual address on it so that was fine, but then they suddenly decided that you need TWO proof of residence documents after they had already processed over two million Real IDs using only one. They had no idea yet how they were going to fix this, but when I went to the DMV they were still allowing just one for the next week or so, so I did get my ID. Now apparently they are sending out forms to people and all they have to do is sign it and send it in as proof of residence, but I still have no idea what they are planning to do with those of us with P.O. Boxes because I got my ID in April and I have yet to receive anything in the mail about that second piece.

So anyway, lucky to those of you who live in a state that seems to have everything all figured out. Here it's a mess. They closed all the DMV offices a few weeks ago for "training" on Real ID compliance.
What happened in California is that some officer at the California DMV sent the proposed documentation requirements to someone at DHS. It was given the green light by email. Of course the requirement is for two proofs of residential address. The California DMV proposed this be done with at least one document with the address, and that mailing and receipt of the driver license/ID was the second proof. The idea was that if it wasn't the real address, how does the person get the ID?

But then someone came back and said no that's not acceptable.

I really have no idea if she ever even needed her marriage certificate to get a new driver's license back in the 70s under her married name, but if she did then that one was perfectly acceptable at the time. Her Real ID is still pending because of an eye issue (which is another completely ridiculous story I won't get into), but she's also worried about the fact that a clerk pointed out her middle name on her birth certificate has an h in it whereas all of her other documents do not (all the ones filled out by her as an adult). She just knows what her middle name is and never even looked that closely at her birth certificate to know they spelled it with an h on there. The clerk who saw it said kind of smugly, "I'll bet I'm the first person who ever noticed that." So aside from the license issue she's also now afraid that they will end up denying her her social security benefits in a few years all because of that h.

For future reference, residents of most states can file for a replacement SS card online through the SS website. I just did this a couple weeks ago. It required me to create a login, input my name, bday, DL#, SS#, address, and email and they mailed a replacement card to me free within a week.

Also, check what proofs of residency your state allows. I know several people that use a P.O. Box address but prove residency with mortgage or rental documents, property tax records, voter registration cards, home/renters insurance policies, or W2s... All stuff that isn't mailed to them but still has their name and address on it.

while it did mention "documents pertaining to name change" it didn't even occur to her that it meant changing through marriage,
Honest question though---if your name changed from when you were born due to marriage and you saw it said "documents pertaining to name change" wouldn't you think to bring something that pertains to your marriage if that's why your name was changed? The event in your life that caused you to change your name was marriage (in this scenario).

I'm not talking about someone bringing their marriage certificate only to find out it's not a certified copy just talking about the source saying you would need to bring documents pertaining to name change.

The inconsistency between states
I think for the most part there's basic requirements like birth certificate, passport or passport card for example along with proof of name change but slight variations in things like address verification or additional documents for proving lawful presence.

I think the thing is we have 50 states with no true uniform DL process/non-driver's ID process between them all. The REAL ID is intended to provide at least certain parts being uniformed with information shared but when the basic aspects aren't all the same across the board you're bound to have differences between the states.

This isn't to even get started with the states that refused to go to REAL ID because that sure didn't help the citizens out in the end.

even between different DMV employees within the same office is frustrating.
That's the case on a day to day basis well before REAL ID lol. But no that doesn't help the frustration on it.

I was reading through this & wondering how I was able to get a Real ID in Florida, without my 1st marriage certificate & divorce papers. Like many of you have mentioned, I definitely didn't have those papers so many years later. Then it occurred to me that I changed my name back to my maiden name, after the divorce. My marriage certificate has the same name as my birth certificate. I'm guessing that's why I didn't need the extra documentation.

I don't think it would have worked since it was expired at the time you were getting your DL. My state clearly says an unexpired Passport can be used. Your state probably says the same thing.

If you had renewed your passport though in 2016 or prior to going to get the DL it I believe it would have worked.

Check your state though if you want to know for sure if it would have worked :)

I figure it's probably too late as I have renewed my DL in Jan of 2018. Because I had previous gotten a passport years earlier, I didn't think the "enhanced DL" would be a problem to get with my birth certificate and marriage license which has been in effect for 30 some years. ;)

Last edited:

I am going to get my real id next week. I have my birth certificate, passport and I have my marriage license (In 1988, I may or may not have crumpled it up in a ball and thrown it in my husband's face, but I still have it AND him)

Lucky you. :hug: I guess after losing my 1st DH ,accident which resulted in a divorce and years later death, I never thought I would have to prove 41 years later that I was Mrs. "Smith" for those two years to be able to once again fly around the country and elsewhere. :(

Ugh, you just reminded me I should probably look into this CA thing again. I applied for, and received my 'Real ID' in the fall, then got sent that random piece of paper in the spring, signed it and set it back, but I don't remember what was supposed to happen next and I didn't make a copy of the paper like an idiot. Do I just keep my ID, and all is well now, or were they supposed to send me a new one? This isn't a huge deal for me because I have a passport and a Global Entry card, but I should probably at least know if my license is compliant or not instead of ignoring it like I have been doing. This whole thing has been so mismanaged.

My state has been utterly ridiculous since 9/11 in terms of all the paperwork they require for a DL, more than is required for RealID, but if you can believe it, refused for YEARS to go ahead and issue RealID licenses because "it's an invasion of privacy to allow the Federal government to have access to our DL records." They FINALLY caved this year, and of all reasons, because of political pressure from the trucking industry. The straw that broke the camel's back was several local Federal contractors refusing to hire trucking firms located in this state because their drivers did not have RealID, and thus would not be allowed to deliver to military bases.

Here's the fun part: they are making us all come in and get new licenses if we want RealID (which is optional here, btw; you have to ASK to be included in the database), even though they have all of the information they need to issue it, and could just mail the things out upon request.

I've lived in 6 states as an adult, and this one has by FAR the most antiquated and screwy Driver's License & Motor Vehicle Registration setup that I've ever seen. It is that way on purpose, because the License Offices are privately operated, awarded as EXTREMELY lucrative political patronage plums. (One of the best examples of the legally-sanctioned graft they indulge in is the penalty for using a CC to pay your fees. The offices charge 2.15% of the transaction. If you are registering a new vehicle, that could easily end up being a $200 surcharge for using a credit card.)

Now I’m dying to know, what state do you currently reside?

So after reading this, my hubby and I went to look at our state's information about it. We could only find what to do if you are new to the state. But we saw that the gold star indicates Real ID and looked at our license. We all have the gold star on our driver's licenses. Hubby renewed online in 2017 and I did last year. Both of my daughters(teens) got their license through driver's ED a few months ago and they are Real ID compliant also. We did not have to go down to the DMV and show anything. Our state must have access to that info already if you are a resident. Super easy for us since we did not have to do anything.

So after reading this, my hubby and I went to look at our state's information about it. We could only find what to do if you are new to the state. But we saw that the gold star indicates Real ID and looked at our license. We all have the gold star on our driver's licenses. Hubby renewed online in 2017 and I did last year. Both of my daughters(teens) got their license through driver's ED a few months ago and they are Real ID compliant also. We did not have to go down to the DMV and show anything. Our state must have access to that info already if you are a resident. Super easy for us since we did not have to do anything.
There's typically a record of what documents were used to establish eligibility to receive a DL/ID. In my state they don't ask to see an SSN card or other proof of SSN (like a paystub) but they do ask for the SSN and are supposed to check it against the Social Security Administration's database.

What state are you in?

Can I move there, get my Real ID, and move back home???

My DH may have an issue. He is retired and is getting SS. However his SS card has a shorten version of his name......For instance instead of Zackery Smith, it just says Zack Smith. He got his card in his teens. No issues the past 60 years. But of course that doesn't match his birthday certificate of Zackery Smith. Something we never thought of UNTIL NOW.

First time I went to the DMV to get real ID, I had everything except a bill with my name & address on it. I even had my marriage license. It’s done now but it was def a hassle

So Maryland, evidently, royally screwed up the first year or two of realID and didn't do something that the federal government wanted them to do.
So literally tens of thousands of people have a DL with a star on it, and were told they have a realID, but now MD is saying that it's not actually a real ID. So in batches, they're sending noticed to people that they need to come BACK to the DMV to show all the appropriate documentation again, and then they'll get to just keep their current DL, but they'll be legit in the system.
If you don't go back, then supposedly if you get pulled over by a MD state trooper, they have access to the list of "recalled" licenses, and they'll take your license from you on the spot.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-m...IVERS LICENSES AND ID CARDS BEGINNING IN JUNE
What a mess!

So Maryland, evidently, royally screwed up the first year or two of realID and didn't do something that the federal government wanted them to do.
So literally tens of thousands of people have a DL with a star on it, and were told they have a realID, but now MD is saying that it's not actually a real ID. So in batches, they're sending noticed to people that they need to come BACK to the DMV to show all the appropriate documentation again, and then they'll get to just keep their current DL, but they'll be legit in the system.
If you don't go back, then supposedly if you get pulled over by a MD state trooper, they have access to the list of "recalled" licenses, and they'll take your license from you on the spot.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-m...IVERS LICENSES AND ID CARDS BEGINNING IN JUNE
What a mess!
LOL. That's a mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter