Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

Two more lately-

#7-"A Heart That Works", Rob Delaney. A story of a man's son who died at the age of two. What was most heartbreaking, I thought, was the final circumstances (I won't explain, it might spoil it). Having had a young son die myself, I was drawn to this book and felt his honesty and descriptiveness earned 5 stars.

#8-"What She Left Behind", Ellen Marie Wiseman. I've read other books by this author and enjoyed reading them-this was no exception. It was about a woman falsely sent to an Insane Asylum in the 1920s (she wasn't insane) and how patients were treated at that time. It only earned 4 1/2 stars instead of 5 because the ending seemed kind of convenient and rushed.

Is it too late to join? I was part of the group last year and it was fun checking in! I’ve noticed my reading has dropped down, so it would be great to come in and report my reads and see what everyone else is reading!

My goal is 35 and I’ve read 2 books! Need to get going!!
Never too late!
Glad you are back.

#09/10 Where The River Runs by Patti Callahan Henry
Meridy Dresden was once a free-spirited, fun-loving girl. All that changed when the boy she loved was killed in a tragic fire. Since then, she alone has carried the burden of a terrible secret. Now, years later, married to a wonderful man and mother of a teenage son, she is shocked to learn that a childhood friend is being blamed for that long-ago fire. Fearful but determined, Meridy returns to the South Carolina Lowcountry and summons the courage to make a decision that may destroy her well-ordered life, her family's reputation, her contented marriage, and everything she's worked so hard to protect...including her heart.
This was just ok for me. A bit too 'wordy' I am currently reading another book by the author.

#14 - A Court of Mist and Fury: Book 2 of A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas. Genre - Paranormal Romance but I just call it Fantasy. While I enjoyed book 1, I found book 2 much more interesting.
Feyre has undergone more trials than one human woman can carry in her heart. Though she's now been granted the powers and lifespan of the High Fae, she is haunted by her time Under the Mountain and the terrible deeds she performed to save the lives of Tamlin and his people.

As her marriage to Tamlin approaches, Feyre's hollowness and nightmares consume her. She finds herself split into two different people: one who upholds her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court, and one who lives out her life in the Spring Court with Tamlin. While Feyre navigates a dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms. She might just be the key to stopping it, but only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future-and the future of a world in turmoil.

3/32 Hello Girls by Brittany Cavallaro and Emily Henry - 3 Stars. I picked this up because I LOVED Emily Henry's other books. I didn't care for this one - it was more of a YA book.

Summary from Library website: Best friends are forged by fire. For Winona Olsen and Lucille Pryce, that fire happened the night they met outside the police station, both deciding whether to turn their families in for abuse and mistreatment. They realize they can't wait until graduation to start their new lives. They need out. Now. All they need is three grand, fast. And really, a stolen convertible to take them from Michigan to Las Vegas can't hurt.

5. Counting the Cost by Jill Duggar.
i watched the show, had very mixed feelings about it. Was interested to hear her story which confirmed my notions. Extremism, in any form, is awful.
I've been on the waiting list at the library forever for this book. I'm beginning to think my turn isn't going to come up. I read Ginger's book, but really want to read Jill's.

4/32 - Upside Down by Danielle Steel - 4 stars. This one was better than some of her other recent books. It was a good story and was well edited. I am a sucker for her books even though they aren't nearly as good as they used to be. It was a quick read - I read the entire thing yesterday afternoon.

#10/50 Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan Henry
When poet and writer Joy Davidman began writing letters to C. S. Lewis—known as Jack—she was looking for spiritual answers, not love. Love, after all, wasn’t holding together her crumbling marriage. Everything about New Yorker Joy seemed ill-matched for an Oxford don and the beloved writer of Narnia, yet their minds bonded over their letters. Embarking on the adventure of her life, Joy traveled from America to England and back again, facing heartbreak and poverty, discovering friendship and faith, and against all odds, finding a love that even the threat of death couldn’t destroy.
Not too sure how I feel about this one. I really don't care for this author's writing style but I am a great fan of C. S. Lewis & have always wanted to read this book. It is a fictionalized version of their relationship so there is that. Otherwise I don't think I would care for Joy Davidman very much if this was her true personality. I may have to check out Lewis' "A Grief Observed" written after his wife's death, maybe that would give me a better view of the wife.

7/32 - Walt's Apprentice: Keeping the Disney Dream Alive by Dick Nunis

Description:
"The memoir of Disney Legend Dick Nunis. It is a warm personal reminiscence of learning directly from Walt Disney for 12 years, followed by more than 30 years devoted to championing his vision and standards as the Disney empire grew.

The story covers Disney’s highlights, including the 1960 Winter Olympics, 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair, and the development and opening of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Epcot, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. Unlike other Disney books, this story is told from the perspective of operations rather than Imagineering. It touches on decisions that defined the guest experience and Disney’s reputation for quality in areas ranging from capacity and people-moving, training, delivering a consistent “good show,” food service, and more.This first-person narrative is presented as a series of wide-ranging vignettes. Some vignettes focus on personal, character-shaping events, such as the injury that ended his collegiate football career. Other stories touch on national events, such as Nikita Khrushchev’s derailed visit to Disneyland, the decision to close the park following the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan’s assistance in expediting the visa process for cast members staffing the Epcot World Showcase. Few people have enjoyed a life so immersed in Disney magic.

These stories share that magic through the memories of one of the original doers and dreamers."

I really enjoyed this book! It was an interesting look at Dick Nunis's life and career, and I enjoyed most of the stories he told.

5/25 Murder Daiquiri: A Small Town Mystery. (Book 4 in the Maple Creek Mystery series) Liz Lamar

6/25 Murder Colada: A Small Town Mystery. (Book 5 in the Maple Creek Mystery series) Liz Lamar

7/25 Mojito Murder: A Small Town Mystery. (Book 6 in the Maple Creek Mystery series) Liz Lamar

18/75 Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells. My next in the Murder Bot series. Our favorite anti social Sec Unit is making friends and saving the day with attitude.
19/75 Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe One persons journey of self in a graphic novel format. If you have a non binary or otherwise questioning older teen, this book may help open a dialogue to their feelings. As an older reader I wish we would have had this kind conversation in my day. One picture out of context is causing a lot of concern, so review before if you think it might be a problem.

#15 - A Court of Wings and Ruin: Book 3 of A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas. Genre - Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring her land to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit - and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords and hunt for allies in unexpected places. And her heart will face the ultimate test as she and her mate are forced to question whether they can truly trust each other.
#16 - A Court of Frost and Starlight: Book 4 of A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas. Genre- Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
In this companion tale to the bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series, Feyre, Rhys and their friends are working to rebuild the Night Court and the vastly changed world beyond after the events of A Court of Wings and Ruin.
But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it a hard-earned reprieve. Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated - scars that will have a far-reaching impact on the future of their court.

My February books:

23) The Cancer Journals by Audre Lorde – Memoir/Feminism. 5/5

24) Rufus Estes' Good Things to Eat: The First Cookbook by an African-American Chef – Food. 3.5/5

25) Mirror to America by John Hope Franklin – Autobiography. 4.25/5

26) Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson – YA Contemporary/Mystery. 3.75/5

27) All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson – Memoir/Queer/Race. 4.5/5

28) Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves edited by Glory Edim – Essays/Race/Feminism. 4.25/5

29) The Complete Collected Poems by Maya Angelou – Poetry. 5/5

30) ZaatarDiva by Suheir Hammad – Poetry. 5/5

31) An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – YA Fantasy. 5/5

32) Home to Harlem by Claude McKay – Classic. 3.25/5

33) Lunar New Year Love Story by Gene Luen Yang & LeUyen Pham (illustrator) – YA Graphic Novel/Magical Realism/Romance. 5/5

34) This Wicked Fate by Kalynn Bayron – YA Fantasy. 4.5/5

35) My Government Means to Kill Me by Rasheed Newson – Historical/Queer/Race. 4.5/5

36) Everywhere You Don't Belong by Gabriel Bump – YA Contemporary/Race. 3.75/5

37) No Edges: Swahili Stories edited by Sarah Coolridg – Short Stories/Contemporary. 3.75/5

38) Can't Nothing Bring Me Down: Chasing Myself in the Race Against Time by Anita Doreen Diggs and Ida Keeling – Memoir. 3.5/5

39) Akata Woman by Nnedi Okorafor – YA Fantasy. 4/5

40) Tempted by Trouble by Eric Jerome Dickey – Contemporary/Mystery/Romance. 3.5/5

41) Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James – Fantasy. 3.5/5

42) Wild Sweet Love by Beverly Jenkins – Historical Romance. 4.25/5

43) Sisters of the Wild Sage: A Weird Western Collection by Nicole Kurtz – Short Stories/Weird West. 3.75/5

44) Black by Design: A 2-Tone Memoir by Pauline Black – Memoir/Music. 4/5

45) Why Is the Negro Lynched by Frederick Douglass – History. 4.5/5

46) Love on the Ninth Floor by Aries Skye – Contemporary/Romance. 3/5

47) Koshersoul: The Faith and Food Journey of an African American Jew by Michael W. Twitty – Memoir/Food/Race/Religion. 3.25/5

48) Let Me Hear a Rhyme by Tiffany D. Jackson – YA Historical/Music. 4/5

49) Officer Clemmons by Francois S. Clemmons – Memoir/Race/Queer/Music. 4/5

50) Solitary: Unbroken by Four Decades in Solitary Confinement. My Story of Transformation and Hope by Albert Woodfox – Memoir/Race/Solical Justice. 4.5/5

51) They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraqib – Essays/Race/Music. 5/5

52) A Darker Wilderness: Black Nature Writing from Soil to Stars edited by Erin Sharkey – Essays/Nature/Race. 4.5/5

January/February

#1/75: Shadows Reel (Joe Pickett #22) by C. J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

Joe and Marybeth both make discoveries that put them in the crosshairs of a pair of desperate men who are willing to kill to achieve their goal. Meanwhile, Nate is on the hunt for the man who attacked his wife and stole his birds.

#2/75: Storm Watch (Joe Pickett #23) by C. J. Box (/5) (mystery)

Joe investigates a mysterious death while Nate is approached by a shady group of militants that want Nate to help them.

Caught up in this series until the next one comes out next month!

#3/75:A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford #11) by Charles Todd (/5) (historical fiction mystery)

In the aftermath of WWI, Bess travels to France to save a troubled officer from drug addition and a mysterious killer.

#4/75: The Diplomat’s Wife by Pam Jenoff (3.5/5) (historical fiction)

Marta survived her imprisonment by the Nazis, and has hopes for her future with Paul, the American who rescued her. But while waiting for him in London, his plane crashes and there are no survivors. A kind diplomat gives her a job and then marries her, not knowing that she is pregnant with Paul’s baby. When Marta is asked to go on a mission to help find a Communist spy, she agrees, not realizing the danger.

#5/75: The Expatriates by Janice Y. K. Lee (4.5/5) (fiction)

A tragic incident in Hong Kong causes three American women’s lives to collide in unexpected ways.

#6/75: The Exiles by Jane Harper (4.5/5) (fiction)

Investigator Aaron Falk arrives in a small Southern Australia town on the anniversary of the disappearance of the mother of a young baby. When the older daughter begs for information, Falk and his friend Raco can’t leave the case alone.

#7/75: Powder Burn by Carl Hiaasen and Bill Montalbano (3/5) (suspense)

Chris Meadows has stayed far away from the Miami drug trade. But that all changes when he witnesses the hit and run death of his ex-girlfriend by a group of drug smugglers. Now he is in a fight for his life, not only from hitmen, but also crooked Miami cops who would rather exploit than protect him.

#8/75: Call the Midwife (Book 1) by Jennifer Worth (4/5) (memoir)

Stories of her work as a midwife in London slums after WWII. This was the basis for the PBS series.

#9/75: Shadow of the Workhouse Book 2) by Jennifer Worth (4/5) (biography)

Stories of people she met while working as a midwife. These people all experienced the horrors of the workhouse.

#10/75: Resurrection Walk (Haller #7) by Michael Connelly (4/5) (thriller)

After getting a wrongfully convicted man out of prison, Mickey Haller is inundated by requests from people claiming their innocence. He enlists the help of his half-brother Harry Bosch to go through the letters, who finds a case worth pursuing. A woman was convicted of killing her police officer husband, but the facts don’t add up.

#11/75: An Irish Hostage (Bess Crawford #12) by charles Todd (3/5) (historical fiction)

Bess has been asked to be the witness for a fellow nurse. But this nurse lives in Ireland, where the memory of the Easter Rising of 1916 is still fresh and the English are seen as the enemy. When Bess arrives, she discovers that the groom is missing.

#12/75: The Cliff’s Edge (Bess Crawford #13) By Charles Todd (4/5) (historical fiction)

Bess agrees to travel to Yorkshire to help a friend of her cousin recover from surgery. While there, the news of a terrible accident causes Bess to travel to a remote estate to help. One man has been killed, and the other gravely injured. But the families have taken sides and the police are involved. When another death occurs, it seems that no one is safe.

#13/75: The Maharani’s Pearls and A Hanging at Dawn (Bess Crawford series) by Charles Todd (4/5) (novellas)

Young Bess comes back from a forbidden visit to a fortune teller to find her mother and the Maharani in a private discussion. When Bess recognizes one of the Maharani’s attendants as a man she saw near the fortune teller’s tent, an alarm is raised.

Young Simon has been discovered as underage and may be dismissed from service. But Melinda steps in and has him sent out to India to work for her cousin Richard, While there, he is accused of a terrible crime and may be put to death.

Since these were short I counted them as one book.

#14/75: Farewell to the East End (#3) by Jennifer Worth (4/5) (memoir)
Final sagas of the author’s time working as a midwife in the East End of London during the 1950s

20/75 The Wolf Den by Elodie Harper. Women working in a brothel in Pompeii and their lives. This fictional story intertwines real archeological discoveries with a raw look at power structures, slavery, women's lives and the sex. I have always had an interest in Pompeii and will be reading the next book in the series.
21/75 The Djinn Waits A Hundred Years by Shubnum Khan. What a delightful surprise this one was. I'm not sure what I was expecting but this was one I started reading and just fell into and finished in about a day and a half. "A gorgeously atmospheric Gothic tale about a ruined mansion by the sea". So good.

12 The Golden Couple
By Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen
(A good read)

13 The 6:20 Man
By David Baldacci
( OK, slow at times. Several twists)

13/50 - Suicide Med by Freida McFadden

I have read almost all of this authors book and have liked most of them. They are easy reads and she is known for always having a big twist at the end. Well I wish I had just kept putting off reading this one. It was told from multiple perspectives, which got repetitive. One story line was ridiculous over the top dumb, and the ending fell flat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter