Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

4/75 Exit Strategy book 4 in The Murderbot series by Martha Wells. Travel and exposure seem to be positively affecting our favorite anti-social SecUnit. Friends? A home? Can it be..

1/32 - The Longmire Defense by Craig Johnson

Description:
"Sheriff Walt Longmire and Dog are called on a routine search and rescue to Wyoming’s Bighorn Mountains, where Walt finds himself on a rock outcropping remembering when his father told him about the first time he saw a man die. In the late forties, Bill Sutherland was shot but the investigation was stymied because no member of the elk camp—where he was found—was carrying the caliber rifle that killed the state accountant. When Dog discovers the missing weapon, the sheriff of Absaroka County is plunged headfirst into a cold case. His investigation quickly finds ties to a hidden mineral fund that someone is willing to kill to keep secret. The embodiment of the fair-minded detective, Walt is pushed to his ethical boundaries. In his relentless pursuit of the truth, he discovers the rifle in question belonged to none other than Walt’s infamous and uncompromising grandfather, Lloyd Longmire."

I started out the year like I usually do, reading the newest novel in the Longmire series. I first encountered Longmire on the A&E (and later Netflix) TV series, and then learned there were books and started reading them. This is book #19 in the series. I really liked this one, and it may be one of my favorite entries in the series. The next book is going to be released in May (it's usually September), so I may read it earlier than normal.

4/75 Exit Strategy book 4 in The Murderbot series by Martha Wells. Travel and exposure seem to be positively affecting our favorite anti-social SecUnit. Friends? A home? Can it be..

I recently started this series. I’m two books in and have found both books to be excellen.

1/32 - The Longmire Defense by Craig Johnson

Description:
"Sheriff Walt Longmire and Dog are called on a routine search and rescue to Wyoming’s Bighorn Mountains, where Walt finds himself on a rock outcropping remembering when his father told him about the first time he saw a man die. In the late forties, Bill Sutherland was shot but the investigation was stymied because no member of the elk camp—where he was found—was carrying the caliber rifle that killed the state accountant. When Dog discovers the missing weapon, the sheriff of Absaroka County is plunged headfirst into a cold case. His investigation quickly finds ties to a hidden mineral fund that someone is willing to kill to keep secret. The embodiment of the fair-minded detective, Walt is pushed to his ethical boundaries. In his relentless pursuit of the truth, he discovers the rifle in question belonged to none other than Walt’s infamous and uncompromising grandfather, Lloyd Longmire."

I started out the year like I usually do, reading the newest novel in the Longmire series. I first encountered Longmire on the A&E (and later Netflix) TV series, and then learned there were books and started reading them. This is book #19 in the series. I really liked this one, and it may be one of my favorite entries in the series. The next book is going to be released in May (it's usually September), so I may read it earlier than normal.
Loved the tv series, may have to check out the books.

2/32 - Endangered Species by Nevada Barr

Description:
"Anna has been assigned a three-week posting on Georgia's isolated Cumberland Island. Despite the breathtaking natural setting, Anna finds time weighing heavily as she works tedious fire pre-suppression duty. Her boring routine is shattered when a sudden plane crash in the inland palmetto thickets calls her and the other members of the fire crew to action.

When Anna and the crew investigate, they discover the plane was sabotaged. Suspicions smolder over the accident which killed both the pilot and his passenger, Cumberland's lone law enforcement ranger. Even the usually unflappable Anna is shocked by the desperate cold-bloodedness of the crime. Will protecting the island come at a price even Anna is unwilling to pay?"

This is book #5 in the Anna Pigeon series. I have really enjoyed the series so far, and look forward to reading more.

Put me down for 20 again.
1/20 Lessons in Chemistry - I give it a 4/5. It's a great story, just far too many coincidences told by third parties for my taste

I want to read at least 30 books this year.

I have read one so far, Counting the Cost by Jill Duggar. I have followed the family on their shows and such, so it was a very interesting, eye opening read. I couldn't put it down. Recommend if you are a Duggar fan.

3/40. - An Uninvited Guest - Shari Lapena

Another book where a group of strangers are stuck in a snowstorm and one of them starts picking people off. 3.5/5

I have read one so far, Counting the Cost by Jill Duggar. I have followed the family on their shows and such, so it was a very interesting, eye opening read. I couldn't put it down. Recommend if you are a Duggar fan.

I'm on the super long waiting list at the library for this one. I am anxious to read it.

Put me down for 20 again.
1/20 Lessons in Chemistry - I give it a 4/5. It's a great story, just far too many coincidences told by third parties for my taste

Welcome back & welcome aboard.

2/32 - Endangered Species by Nevada Barr
This is book #5 in the Anna Pigeon series. I have really enjoyed the series so far, and look forward to reading more.
This is another series that I have been wanting to start.
So, just went to my library website & put the first Anna Pigeon book on hold & also the first Longmire also.

I loved the TV series, didn't realize that more stories were being written. I tried reading the first book after watching the series and just couldn't get through it. I don't watch movies/tv shows that are based off a book first if I can help it.
1/20 Lessons in Chemistry
This one is on my book club reading list for later this year.

#3 - A Court of Thorns and Roses. First book in a Fantasy series. It was a little on the dull side but redeemed itself in the last quarter of the book.
Feyre is a huntress. And when she sees a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she kills the predator and takes its prey to feed herself and her family.

But the wolf was not what it seemed, and Feyre cannot predict the high price she will have to pay for its death...

Dragged away from her family for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding even more than his piercing green eyes suggest.

As Feyre's feelings for Tamlin turn from hostility to passion, she learns that the faerie lands are a far more dangerous place than she realized. And Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Opened my eyes about just how terrible a person her father is. Heart breaking to read what she went through but glad she turned around being a victim into a victor.

#3 - A Court of Thorns and Roses. First book in a Fantasy series. It was a little on the dull side but redeemed itself in the last quarter of the book.
Feyre is a huntress. And when she sees a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she kills the predator and takes its prey to feed herself and her family.

But the wolf was not what it seemed, and Feyre cannot predict the high price she will have to pay for its death...

Dragged away from her family for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding even more than his piercing green eyes suggest.

As Feyre's feelings for Tamlin turn from hostility to passion, she learns that the faerie lands are a far more dangerous place than she realized. And Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.
I was about halfway in on the audio book before Christmas and had to return it unfinished. I will have to circle back.

2. Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Outstanding book. As a 50 something woman, I stand on the shoulders of women like the main character. we can’t take anyt for granted.

1/30 The Tour by Jean Grainger

Conor O’Shea is a charming Irish tour guide whose latest group is a bunch of misfit American tourists. Some will uncover secrets, others will face truths that will change their lives.

I enjoyed the book but it‘s too bad it takes place only in the course of a week because I would have liked the characters to be more fully developed. Things were rushed through because of the week timeline.

Book #2 - A Cold Faint Heart - Karen Slaughter

An apparent student suicide has brought medical examiner Sara Linton to the local college campus, along with her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver. But a horribly mutilated corpse yields up few answers. And a suspicious rash of subsequent "suicides" suggests that a different kind of terror is stalking the youth of Heartsdale, Georgia—a nightmare that is coming to prey on Sara Linton's loved ones.

A small town is being transformed into a killing ground. And the key to a sadistic murderer's motive and identity may be held in the unsteady hands of a campus security guard—a former police detective driven from the force by the hellish memories that will never leave her. Lena Adams survived the unthinkable and has paid a devastating price. Now the survival of future victims may depend upon her ... when she can barely protect herself.

5/75 The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie. Book 3 in The Age of Madness series. Some crushing conclusions..or are they? I hope we get another series out of this age and these characters, I think the author has left us some hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter