Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

1/80
I didn‘t expect “Cook for Me” by Alexander McCall Smith to be SO SHORT! I did enjoy it, 4/5.

#1 - Broke-A** Women's Club by Sharon Sala

I started this book last week and finished it this morning so it's my first book of the year. A cute book about four women who find out they were married to the same man after he dies.

1/32 - After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid 5/5 Stars - I really liked this book. It was totally up my alley - "ChickLit" is the my favorite genre.

Yesterday my knee was having an arthritis flare up that was killing me, so I sat in my chair the entire day and read this whole book :-)

From Amazon:
When Lauren and Ryan’s marriage reaches the breaking point, they come up with an unconventional plan. They decide to take a year off in the hopes of finding a way to fall in love again. One year apart, and only one rule: they cannot contact each other. Aside from that, anything goes.

Lauren embarks on a journey of self-discovery, quickly finding that her friends and family have their own ideas about the meaning of marriage. These influences, as well as her own healing process and the challenges of living apart from Ryan, begin to change Lauren’s ideas about monogamy and marriage. She starts to question: When you can have romance without loyalty and commitment without marriage, when love and lust are no longer tied together, what do you value? What are you willing to fight for?

This is a love story about what happens when the love fades. It’s about staying in love, seizing love, forsaking love, and committing to love with everything you’ve got. And above all, After I Do is the story of a couple caught up in an old game—and searching for a new road to happily ever after.

My goal for the year is 38. I finished my first book yesterday, this is the 3rd year in a row that I didn't quite finish the book I was reading before the end of the year.

1/38 - Kisscut by Karen Slaughter (Grant County #2)

Sara Linton, her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are caught in an evil web involving a young girl who commits suicide by forcing a cop to shoot her. Shouldering the political aftermath, Jeffrey struggles to understand the victim’s desperation. So does Sara, the girl’s pediatrician and now her coroner, who soon discovers that the suicide was linked to a brutal crime—one far more terrifying than anyone could have imagined. Yet neither Jeffrey nor Sara know that their colleague, Lena, may unwittingly harbor the truth as she finds herself drawn to a young man who might hold the answers—and Lena’s future—in his hands.

2/80
“A Laborer in the Vineyard of Love” by Alexander McCall Smith. I can’t wait for the next

Last edited:
My goal for the year is 38. I finished my first book yesterday, this is the 3rd year in a row that I didn't quite finish the book I was reading before the end of the year.

1/38 - Kisscut by Karen Slaughter (Grant County #2)

Sara Linton, her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are caught in an evil web involving a young girl who commits suicide by forcing a cop to shoot her. Shouldering the political aftermath, Jeffrey struggles to understand the victim’s desperation. So does Sara, the girl’s pediatrician and now her coroner, who soon discovers that the suicide was linked to a brutal crime—one far more terrifying than anyone could have imagined. Yet neither Jeffrey nor Sara know that their colleague, Lena, may unwittingly harbor the truth as she finds herself drawn to a young man who might hold the answers—and Lena’s future—in his hands.
Karin Slaughter's Grant County series is one of my all time favorites.

1/32 - After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid 5/5 Stars - I really liked this book. It was totally up my alley - "ChickLit" is the my favorite genre.

Yesterday my knee was having an arthritis flare up that was killing me, so I sat in my chair the entire day and read this whole book :-)

From Amazon:
When Lauren and Ryan’s marriage reaches the breaking point, they come up with an unconventional plan. They decide to take a year off in the hopes of finding a way to fall in love again. One year apart, and only one rule: they cannot contact each other. Aside from that, anything goes.

Lauren embarks on a journey of self-discovery, quickly finding that her friends and family have their own ideas about the meaning of marriage. These influences, as well as her own healing process and the challenges of living apart from Ryan, begin to change Lauren’s ideas about monogamy and marriage. She starts to question: When you can have romance without loyalty and commitment without marriage, when love and lust are no longer tied together, what do you value? What are you willing to fight for?

This is a love story about what happens when the love fades. It’s about staying in love, seizing love, forsaking love, and committing to love with everything you’ve got. And above all, After I Do is the story of a couple caught up in an old game—and searching for a new road to happily ever after.
Hope your knee got well rested. I know that has to be painful.

1/30 - All the President's Men - special 40th edition book with updated afterword - by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward

from Wikipedia:
All the President's Men
is a 1974 non-fiction book by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, two of the journalists who investigated the June 1972 break-in at the Watergate Office Building and the resultant political scandal for The Washington Post. The book chronicles the investigative reporting of Woodward and Bernstein from Woodward's initial report on the Watergate break-in through the resignations of Nixon Administration officials H. R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman in April 1973, and the revelation of the Oval Office Watergate tapes by Alexander Butterfield three months later. It relates the events behind the major stories the duo wrote for the Post, naming some sources who had previously refused to be identified for their initial articles, notably Hugh Sloan. It also gives detailed accounts of Woodward's secret meetings with his source Deep Throat, whose identity was kept hidden for over 30 years.[1] Gene Roberts, the former executive editor of The Philadelphia Inquirer and former managing editor of The New York Times, has called the work of Woodward and Bernstein "maybe the single greatest reporting effort of all time."[2]

This was a very interesting book to read at this time in our history. There were some interesting parallels between the case against Richard Nixon versus the case involving Donald Trump.

3/80
“A Christmas Vanishing” by Anne Perry 4/5.
I have read and enjoyed most of Anne Perry’s work, especially William Monk and Charlotte and Thomas Pitt novels that are set in Victorian England. She passed in 2023.

This deals with blackmail and kidnapping in a small English village, and it is set in Victorian England. The main character is the grandmother of Charlotte Pitt. I love how she relates her characters. I will miss her books. She had begun a series starring Charlotte and Thomas’s son, a lawyer.

She herself had a very interesting story!

1/75 Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells. Book 3 in The Murderbot Diaries series. Just a fun little adventure with an anxiety ridden anti-social A.I SecUnit.
2/75 A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie. Book one in the Age of Madness series. This is a re-read for me because book 3 is out and I hear it is a great finish to the series. This is a fantasy book with a little spice, a little magic, lots of swords, and more than a few interesting characters.

I enjoy reading, but have never participated in the reading challenge. You are all such avid readers, and I have a question for you: Where do you buy your books? They are way too expensive for me to purchase new. I have a Kindle, but those prices have gone up also. Is Kindle Unlimited worth the cost? I did mange to pick up a few books at the thrift stores yesterday that were recommended here.

I enjoy reading, but have never participated in the reading challenge. You are all such avid readers, and I have a question for you: Where do you buy your books? They are way too expensive for me to purchase new. I have a Kindle, but those prices have gone up also. Is Kindle Unlimited worth the cost? I did mange to pick up a few books at the thrift stores yesterday that were recommended here.
I don't buy very many. I use our library and the library app Libby.

I do have kindle unlimited. If you read two or more books a month from the list I think it would be worth it. There are tons of books on Kindle Unlimited but usually not the newest, most popular releases.

I have found several book on Kindle recently for just a dollar or two.

I have the Libby app which is thru the public library and borrow books that way.

I asked my mom for a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas, I plan to buy books with it.

I don't buy very many. I use our library and the library app Libby.
I use our library and Libby, too!

“From a Far and Lovely Country” by Alexander McCall Smith
4/80
I thoroughly enjoy the “No.1 Ladies Detective Agency” series! This one involves a dress that’s too small, an American coming to find history of a grandfather and a new assignment for Charlie and it hits some right notes about human nature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter