Reading Challenge/Goals for 2023--2024 link added

27/30 - Firestorm by Nevada Barr

Description:
"A raging forest fire in California's Lassen Volcanic National Park traps exhausted firefighters, including Ranger Anna Pigeon, in its midst. Afterward, Anna finds two from her group have been killed. One a victim of the flames. The other, stabbed through the heart. Now, as a rampaging winter storm descends, cutting the survivors off from civilization, Anna must uncover the murderer in their midst."

This is book #4 in the Anna Pigeon series. I continue to really enjoy the series and look forward to reading more.
This is one of my favorites! It's the first book of hers that I read. My grandmother got it for me as I was working in my first season as a fire lookout, knowing that it would be the start of a great series for me. Immediately was hooked and have read the entire series multiple times. I actually recited a section of this book for a class assignment.

24/25 Medical Examinations and Death (Fleming Investigations Cozy Mysteries Book 10) by Patti Larsen.

25/25 Fireworks, Family Feuds and Death (Fleming Investigations Cozy Mysteries Book 11) by Patti Larsen.

New Goal: 30
26/30 Running Pass and Death (Fleming Investigations Cozy Mysteries Book 12) by Patti Larsen.

**Only two books left in this series, yikes! I really have enjoyed reading both Fiona Flemming series. Quick reads with fun characters that I have become invested in.

On to a new cozy mystery series. The first one was free!
27/30 Antiques, Artifacts & Alibis (Dogwood Springs Cozy Mystery Book 1) by Sally Bayless
- Newly divorced Libby accepts a museum director position in the town that her mom grew up, and her grandmother once led. While uncertain what the future holds, it can only move up from the life she left behind.
-- Quick cozy mystery with likeable characters.

28/30 Sales, Secrets & Suspects (Dogwood Springs Cozy Mystery Book 2) by Sally Bayless

49/52 Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

Trevor Noah’s unlikely path from apartheid South Africa to the desk of The Daily Show began with a criminal act: his birth. Trevor was born to a white Swiss father and a black Xhosa mother at a time when such a union was punishable by five years in prison. Living proof of his parents’ indiscretion, Trevor was kept mostly indoors for the earliest years of his life, bound by the extreme and often absurd measures his mother took to hide him from a government that could, at any moment, steal him away. Finally liberated by the end of South Africa’s tyrannical white rule, Trevor and his mother set forth on a grand adventure, living openly and freely and embracing the opportunities won by a centuries-long struggle.

Born a Crime is the story of a mischievous young boy who grows into a restless young man as he struggles to find himself in a world where he was never supposed to exist. It is also the story of that young man’s relationship with his fearless, rebellious, and fervently religious mother—his teammate, a woman determined to save her son from the cycle of poverty, violence, and abuse that would ultimately threaten her own life.

The stories collected here are by turns hilarious, dramatic, and deeply affecting. Whether subsisting on caterpillars for dinner during hard times, being thrown from a moving car during an attempted kidnapping, or just trying to survive the life-and-death pitfalls of dating in high school, Trevor illuminates his curious world with an incisive wit and unflinching honesty. His stories weave together to form a moving and searingly funny portrait of a boy making his way through a damaged world in a dangerous time, armed only with a keen sense of humor and a mother’s unconventional, unconditional love.

This was an interesting read, but for me not a page turner. It took me weeks to ready, where my previous books were done in days, if not hours. Trevor Noah's stories opened my eyes to life in South Africa for Black and Colored people, and how this has effected his life today and the comedy he produces. I would recommend the book, but would give it 3.5-4 stars out of 5.

49/50 The Camera Never Lies by David Rawlings
Daniel, wife Kelly, and daughter Milly appear to be the perfect family. But an old camera will expose secrets no one wants developed.
Was ok. Pretty predictable story of a camera that show more than what seems to be.

#50/50 The Long Way Home by Nicole Baart
When an Instagram-famous teenager mysteriously disappears, her mother grapples with the revelation of dark secrets.
Mother and daughter Charlie and Eva never sought social media fame, but when a stunning photo of Eva went viral, fame found them. Now, after more than two years documenting life on the road in their vintage Airstream trailer, the duo has temporarily settled in a tiny Minnesota town.
When Eva goes missing less than a week before her graduation, it’s Charlie who is immediately suspected of foul play—not just by their fans, but also by the police and the FBI. As a fight about one more road trip comes to light, and the truth about their relationship is questioned, Charlie realizes the rosy facade they portrayed online hid a complicated and potentially dangerous reality. Now, to clear her name and find out what has happened to her daughter, she’ll have to confront her own role in Eva’s disappearance—and whether she knew her daughter at all.
I liked this one, kept me interested til the end.

28/30 - Storm Watch - A Joe Pickett novel - by C.J. Box - 3.5/5

This is the most recent book in the Joe Pickett, Wyoming game warden, series. The author always throws something into the story that is topical, and I learned a little about bitcoin mining. It was another typical book in the series. I like that he ages the characters and keeps the current time period. It wasn't his best, but it wasn't bad. :)

October reads:

199) The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde – Short Story/Classic/Fantasy. 4.5/5

200) Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey – History/Horror. 3.5/5

201) Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire – Fantasy. 4.25/5

202) Rust in the Root by Justina Ireland – YA Historical Fantasy. 4.5/5

203) Seasonal Fears by Seanan McGuire – Fantasy. 4/5

204) The Woman in the Castello by Kelsey James – Gothic/Historical Fiction. 3.5/5

205) Hideous Progeny: Disability, Eugenics, and Classic Horror Cinema by Angela M. Smith – Film/Disability/Horror. 4.25/5

206) We'll Be the Last Ones to Let You Down: Memoir of a Gravedigger’s Daughter by Rachael Hanel – Memoir. 3.5/5

207) In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick – History. 4/5

208) Mammoths at the Gates by Nghi Vo – Novella/Fantasy. 4.5/5

209) Steamfunk! Edited by Milton J. Davis & Balogun Ojetade. Anthology/Steampunk. 4.25/5

210) He Who Drowned the World: A Novel by Shelley Parker-Chan – Historical Fantasy. 4.5/5

211) If I Have To Be Haunted by Miranda Sun – YA Fantasy. 3.75/5

212) One Dark and Stormy Knight: A Cozy Witch Mystery by Hermione Moon – Cozy Mystery. 3.5/5

213) Envy of Angels: A Sin Du Jour Affair by Matt Wallace – Novella/Urban Fantasy. 3.5/5

214) Whisper Network by Chandler Baker – Mystery/Thriller. 3.75/5

215) Sherlock & Dracula: Lifeblood by Kev Freeman – Horror. 3/5

216) Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – Magical Realism. 3.5/5

217) Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber – Sci-Fi/Horror. 3.5/5

218) Haiti Noir edited by Edwidge Danticat – Anthology/Mystery/Thriller. 3.5/5

219) Mouthful of Birds by Samanta Schweblin; Megan McDowell (translator) – Short Stories/Horror. 3.5/5

220) Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon – Cozy Mystery. 3.25/5

221) Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg – Nordic Noir. 4.5/5

222) Arthur Mervyn by Charles Brockden Brown – Gothic/Classic. 2.75/5

223) Ghost Bird by Lisa Fuller – YA Horror/Mystery/Thriller. 5/5

224) The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill – Mystery/Thriller. 3.25/5

225) Ask for Andrea by Noelle W. Ihli – Horror/Thriller. 5/5

226) Edgar Huntly by Charles Brockden Brown – Gothic/Classic. 2.75/5

227) My Favorite Horror Movie: 48 Essays By Horror Creators on the Film That Shaped Them edited by Christian Ackerman – Essays/Horror. 3/5

228) The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera – YA Sci-Fi/Dystopia. 5/5

229) Mimi Lee Cracks the Code by Jennifer Chow – Cozy Mystery. 4/5

230) Machines Like Me by Ian McEwan – Sci-Fi/Alternate History. 2/5

231) In the Fog by Richard Harding Davis – Short Story/Mystery/Classic. 3.5/5

232) Bloodmarked by Tracy Deonn – YA Fantasy. 5/5

233) If You've Got It, Haunt It by Rose Pressey – Cozy Mystery. 2.75/5

234) The Conductors by Nicole Glover – Historical Fantasy. 4.25/5

235) Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry – Psycholgical Fiction/Classic. 4/5

236) Fat Witch Summer by Lizzy Ives – YA Fantasy. 4.25/5

237) Ghostland: In Search of a Haunted Country by Edward Parnell – Memoir/History/Horror. 3.5/5

238) Out There Screaming: An Anthology of New Black Horror edited by Jordan Peele. 4.5/5

239) Our Wives Under the Sea by Julia Armfield – Horror. 4/5

240) Past the Glad and Sunlit Season: Poems for Halloween by K. A. Opperman – Poetry/Horror. 4.5/5

29/30 - The Way of the Bear by Anne Hillerman

Description:
"An unexpected death on a lonely road outside of Utah's Bears Ears National Park raises questions for Navajo Tribal Police officers Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuelito. Why would a seasoned outdoorsman and well-known paleontologist freeze to death within walking distance of his car? A second death brings more turmoil. Who is the unidentified man killed during a home invasion where nothing seems to have been taken? Why was he murdered?

The Bears Ears area, at the edge of the Navajo Nation, is celebrated for its abundance of early human habitation sites and the discovery of unique fossils which revolutionized the scientific view of how early animals dealt with their changing world. For Chee and Bernie, the area glows with geological interest and spiritual insight. But their visit to this achingly beautiful place is disrupted by a current of unprecedented violence that sweeps them both into danger.

An illicit business, a fossilized jaw bone, hints of witchcraft, and a mysterious disappearance during a blizzard add to the peril. It will take all of Manuelito's and Chee's experience, skill, and intuition to navigate the threats that arise beneath the twin buttes that give Bears Ears its name and to see justice served."

This is the 26th novel in the Leaphorn, Chee, and (now) Manuelito series started by Tony Hillerman, and the 8th novel Anne Hillerman has written since she took over the series after her father's death. I continue to really like the series, and look forward to reading the next entry next year!

29/30 - Malibu Rising - Taylor Jenkins Reid - 4/5

"Set against the backdrop of the Malibu surf culture of the 1980s this novel follows the daughter of a famous singer who, once she finds fame, must grapple with the fact that her father abandoned her and her siblings when they were young"--

This book was recommended by a participant of this thread when I reviewed another book by this author, "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo". "Malibu Rising" was a very engaging book with an interesting plot and likeable characters. If you want a well written book with an interesting plot then this would be a good choice. :)

77/85
Read “The Fourth Enemy” by Anne Perry, one of my favorite authors over the years. I love her series, and this book didn’t disappoint! 4/5

29/30 - The Way of the Bear by Anne Hillerman

Description:
"An unexpected death on a lonely road outside of Utah's Bears Ears National Park raises questions for Navajo Tribal Police officers Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuelito. Why would a seasoned outdoorsman and well-known paleontologist freeze to death within walking distance of his car? A second death brings more turmoil. Who is the unidentified man killed during a home invasion where nothing seems to have been taken? Why was he murdered?

The Bears Ears area, at the edge of the Navajo Nation, is celebrated for its abundance of early human habitation sites and the discovery of unique fossils which revolutionized the scientific view of how early animals dealt with their changing world. For Chee and Bernie, the area glows with geological interest and spiritual insight. But their visit to this achingly beautiful place is disrupted by a current of unprecedented violence that sweeps them both into danger.

An illicit business, a fossilized jaw bone, hints of witchcraft, and a mysterious disappearance during a blizzard add to the peril. It will take all of Manuelito's and Chee's experience, skill, and intuition to navigate the threats that arise beneath the twin buttes that give Bears Ears its name and to see justice served."

This is the 26th novel in the Leaphorn, Chee, and (now) Manuelito series started by Tony Hillerman, and the 8th novel Anne Hillerman has written since she took over the series after her father's death. I continue to really like the series, and look forward to reading the next entry next year!
I loved Tony Hillerman’s books, and I also continued reading the series when Anne took over. I just placed a hold on this one. So glad you posted this!

24 of 24 - Yumi and the Nightmare Painter - by Brandon Sanderson

This is the third of four special "mystery*" books released by Sanderson in 2023. I enjoyed the premise but it meandered a bit, could have been shorter, and most of the reveal was handled by way of clunky exposition.

* Mystery in the sense that nothing about them was announced until the books were released.

But hey, that's me hitting my goal.

Edited: post originally said 23 of 24. It's 24 of 24, lol. That's why I hit the goal.

Last edited:
78/85
“The Traitor Among Us” by Anne Perry. This is another series, that of Elana Standish, a spy for British government between the two world wars. 4.5/5

79/85
The library was closed today because it was a voting place, so I downloaded something from Libby. I enjoyed “The Long Way Home” by Mariah Stewart. I have read one of the Chesapeake Diaries before, and I enjoyed this light reading.3.5/5

30/30 - The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger

Description:
"On Memorial Day, as the people of Jewel, Minnesota gather to remember and honor the sacrifice of so many sons in the wars of the past, the half-clothed body of wealthy landowner Jimmy Quinn is found floating in the Alabaster River, dead from a shotgun blast. Investigation of the murder falls to Sheriff Brody Dern, a highly decorated war hero who still carries the physical and emotional scars from his military service. Even before Dern has the results of the autopsy, vicious rumors begin to circulate that the killer must be Noah Bluestone, a Native American WWII veteran who has recently returned to Jewel with a Japanese wife. As suspicions and accusations mount and the town teeters on the edge of more violence, Dern struggles not only to find the truth of Quinn’s murder but also put to rest the demons from his own past.

Caught up in the torrent of anger that sweeps through Jewel are a war widow and her adolescent son, the intrepid publisher of the local newspaper, an aging deputy, and a crusading female lawyer, all of whom struggle with their own tragic histories and harbor secrets that Quinn’s death threatens to expose.

Both a complex, spellbinding mystery and a masterful portrait of midcentury American life, The River We Remember is an unflinching look at the wounds left by the wars we fight abroad and at home, a moving exploration of the ways in which we seek to heal, and a testament to the enduring power of the stories we tell about the places we call home."

This is another book by Krueger that I really enjoyed! I have also read Ordinary Grace and This Tender Land and enjoyed them as well. I may try to start his mystery series sometime in the near future.

With that, I reached my goal of 30 books for 2023! I should be able to read at least a couple more books by the end of the year.

30/30 - Lady Tan's Circle of Women - by Lisa See - 4.5/5

from the library website- According to Confucius, "an educated woman is a worthless woman," but Tan Yunxian-born into an elite family, yet haunted by death, separations, and loneliness-is being raised by her grandparents to be of use. Her grandmother is one of only a handful of female doctors in China, and she teaches Yunxian the pillars of Chinese medicine, the Four Examinations-looking, listening, touching, and asking-something a man can never do with a female patient. From a young age, Yunxian learns about women's illnesses, many of which relate to childbearing, alongside a young midwife-in-training, Meiling. The two girls find fast friendship and a mutual purpose-despite the prohibition that a doctor should never touch blood while a midwife comes in frequent contact with it-and they vow to be forever friends, sharing in each other's joys and struggles. No mud, no lotus, they tell themselves: from adversity beauty can bloom. But when Yunxian is sent into an arranged marriage, her mother-in-law forbids her from seeing Meiling and from helping the women and girls in the household. Yunxian is to act like a proper wife-embroider bound-foot slippers, pluck instruments, recite poetry, give birth to sons, and stay forever within the walls of the family compound, the Garden of Fragrant Delights. How might a woman like Yunxian break free of these traditions, go on to treat women and girls from every level of society, and lead a life of such importance that many of her remedies are still used five centuries later? How might the power of friendship support or complicate these efforts?

I really liked this book. It is a fascinating look into life for the elites of China beginning in 1469. Lisa See has done an amazing amount of research into both this period of time and into Tan Xunxian herself, who turns out to be an actual person from the era. This is the second book I have read from this author. My first one was "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan", which I also liked. :)

I have a few to catch up here.

23/35 Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: a Memoir by Matthew Perry

The actor looks back on his life, his career, and of course his devastating drug addiction.

I picked this up at the library right after he died and found it to be such a tragic story. Even with all the money and fame he led a tortured life.

24/35 What Happened to You? Conversations on Trauma, Resilience and Healing by Oprah Winfrey and Bruce D Perry

Through deeply personal conversations, Oprah Winfrey and renowned brain and trauma expert Dr. Bruce Perry offer a groundbreaking and profound shift from asking “What’s wrong with you?” to “What happened to you?”

Someone recommended this book to me as she had found it so interesting. I did as well, but I found it kind of hard to read and it took me several months as I would pick it up and put it down. I do feel it has helped me to be more empathetic towards others.

25/35 Tom Lake by Ann Patchett

In the spring of 2020, Lara’s three daughters return to the family's orchard in Northern Michigan. While picking cherries, they beg their mother to tell them the story of Peter Duke, a famous actor with whom she shared both a stage and a romance years before at a theater company called Tom Lake. As Lara recalls the past, her daughters examine their own lives and relationship with their mother, and are forced to reconsider the world and everything they thought they knew.

I really enjoyed this book. I’ve read some other books by this author and love how she really develops her characters. I felt like I knew them all by the end of the book.

31/30 - An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

Description:
"It's winter in the Catskills and Mitchell's Inn, nestled deep in the woods, is the perfect setting for a relaxing--maybe even romantic--weekend away. It boasts spacious old rooms with huge woodburning fireplaces, a well-stocked wine cellar, and opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or just curling up with a good murder mystery.

So when the weather takes a turn for the worse, and a blizzard cuts off the electricity--and all contact with the outside world--the guests settle in and try to make the best of it.

Soon, though, one of the guests turns up dead--it looks like an accident. But when a second guest dies, they start to panic.

Within the snowed-in paradise, something--or someone--is picking off the guests one by one. And there's nothing they can do but hunker down and hope they can survive the storm--and one another."

This was a decent mystery/thriller.

24 of 24 - Yumi and the Nightmare Painter - by Brandon Sanderson
Edited: post originally said 23 of 24. It's 24 of 24, lol. That's why I hit the goal.

30/30 - The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger
With that, I reached my goal of 30 books for 2023! I should be able to read at least a couple more books by the end of the year.

30/30 - Lady Tan's Circle of Women - by Lisa See - 4.5/5
Congrats to all 3!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter