Reading Challenge/Goals for 2023--2024 link added

47/52 Becoming Free Indeed: My Story of Disentangling Faith From Fear by Jinger Dugger Vuolo
Jinger Vuolo, the sixth child in the famous Duggar family of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting and Counting On, recounts how she began to question the unhealthy ideology of her youth and learned to embrace true freedom in Christ.

When Jinger Duggar Vuolo was growing up, she was convinced that obeying the rules was the key to success and God's favor. She zealously promoted the Basic Life Principles of Bill Gothard,

• fastidiously obeying the modesty guidelines (no shorts or jeans, only dresses),
  • eagerly submitting to the umbrella of authority (any disobedience of parents would place her outside God's protection),
  • promoting the relationship standard of courtship, and
  • avoiding any music with a worldly beat, among others.

Jinger, along with three of her sisters, wrote a New York Times bestseller about their religious convictions. She believed this level of commitment would guarantee God's blessing, even though in private she felt constant fear that she wasn't measuring up to the high standards demanded of her.

In Becoming Free Indeed, Jinger shares how in her early twenties, a new family member—a brother-in-law who didn't grow up in the same tight-knit conservative circle as Jinger—caused her to examine her beliefs. He was committed to the Bible, but he didn't believe many of the things Jinger had always assumed were true. His influence, along with the help of a pastor named Jeremy Vuolo, caused Jinger to see that her life was built on rules, not God's Word.

Jinger committed to studying the Bible—truly understanding it—for the first time. What resulted was an earth-shaking realization: much of what she'd always believed about God, obedience to His Word, and personal holiness wasn't in-line with what the Bible teaches.

Now with a renewed faith of personal conviction, Becoming Free Indeed shares what it was like living under the tenants of Bill Gothard, the Biblical truth that changed her perspective, and how she disentangled her faith with her belief in Jesus intact.

I found this book interesting. I have also seen her in a few interviews, and I find her to be a brave young woman in writing this book. I am interested in also reading Jill's book to compare how they think of their experiences.

#44/50 The Crane Husband by Kelly Barnhill
A fifteen-year-old teenager is the backbone of her small Midwestern family, budgeting the household finances and raising her younger brother while her mom, a talented artist, weaves beautiful tapestries. For six years, it’s been just the three of them—her mom has brought home guests at times, but none have ever stayed.
Yet when her mom brings home a six-foot tall crane with a menacing air, the girl is powerless to prevent her mom letting the intruder into her heart, and her children’s lives. Utterly enchanted and numb to his sharp edges, her mom abandons the world around her to weave the masterpiece the crane demands.

Umm, it's a no for me. Only finished it because it was only 118 pages & a quick read. Just not my cup of tea.

Books 56-66: It's been awhile since I've reported in. This summer I read all of the C. J. Box Joe Pickett series, then I re-read the Harry Potter books, and then... drum roll (for me), I started in on Georgette Heyer. Yep. Regency Romance at its finest. Not that I'd know, precisely, because I don't read romance, but that's what I hear. In any event, I have found these books delightful! Fun and often quite hilarious. A totally refreshing change of pace for me. Last summer I re-read all of Jane Austen. These Heyers, obviously, are not Jane Austen, but a kind of popular writer's Jane Austen Lite. So far I've read the following:

The Grand Sophy - my favorite so far
Venetia
Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle
April Lady
Sprig Muslin
Bath Tangle
The Toll-Gate
Cotillion
Arabella
April Lady
The Unknown Ajax

24/30 - Camino Winds by John Grisham

Description:
"Welcome back to Camino Island, where anything can happen—even a murder in the midst of a hurricane, which might prove to be the perfect crime . . .

Just as Bruce Cable’s Bay Books is preparing for the return of bestselling author Mercer Mann, Hurricane Leo veers from its predicted course and heads straight for the island. Florida’s governor orders a mandatory evacuation, and most residents board up their houses and flee to the mainland, but Bruce decides to stay and ride out the storm.

The hurricane is devastating: homes and condos are leveled, hotels and storefronts ruined, streets flooded, and a dozen people lose their lives. One of the apparent victims is Nelson Kerr, a friend of Bruce’s and an author of thrillers. But the nature of Nelson’s injuries suggests that the storm wasn’t the cause of his death: He has suffered several suspicious blows to the head.

Who would want Nelson dead? The local police are overwhelmed in the aftermath of the storm and ill equipped to handle the case. Bruce begins to wonder if the shady characters in Nelson’s novels might be more real than fictional. And somewhere on Nelson’s computer is the manuscript of his new novel. Could the key to the case be right there—in black and white? As Bruce starts to investigate, what he discovers between the lines is more shocking than any of Nelson’s plot twists—and far more dangerous."

I had read Camino Island a while back, and decided to read the sequel. While I thought both books didn't quite measure up to some of Grisham's other novels, they were still enjoyable.

3/35 The Ways We Hide by Kristina McMorris

During WWII illusionist Fenna Vos is recruited by British intelligence to design escape aids, but it sends her on a perilous path that tests her loyalty.

This is the second book I’ve read by this author this year. I enjoyed the story, lots of peril and well developed characters.
I just finished this one recommended by you! 4/5

71/75

48/52 Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard by Tom Felton
Tom Felton’s adolescence was anything but ordinary. His early rise to fame in beloved films like The Borrowers catapulted him into the limelight, but nothing could prepare him for what was to come after he landed the iconic role of the Draco Malfoy, the bleached blonde villain of the Harry Potter movies. For the next ten years, he was at the center of a huge pop culture phenomenon and yet, in between filming, he would go back to being a normal teenager trying to fit into a normal school.

Speaking with great candor and his signature humor, Tom shares his experience growing up as part of the wizarding world while also trying to navigate the muggle world. He tells stories from his early days in the business like his first acting gig where he was mistaken for fellow blonde child actor Macaulay Culkin and his Harry Potter audition where, in a very Draco-like move, he fudged how well he knew the books the series was based on (not at all). He reflects on his experiences working with cinematic greats such as Alan Rickman, Sir Michael Gambon, Dame Maggie Smith, and Ralph Fiennes (including that awkward Voldemort hug). And, perhaps most poignantly, he discusses the lasting relationships he made over that decade of filming, including with Emma Watson, who started out as a pesky nine-year-old whom he mocked for not knowing what a boom mic was but who soon grew into one of his dearest friends. Then, of course, there are the highs and lows of fame and navigating life after such a momentous and life-changing experience.

I enjoyed this book. Tom Felton is a good story teller. If you are a fan of Harry Potter, you may enjoy this inside look. Just remember that he was still very young, so it is from the perspective of his teen age self, so it is interesting to read his perception of how events happened. Also be aware that it is not just about the Potter years, but starting with his first times on stage, getting into commercials, and the 2-3 movies he shot before Potter. It also follows up with his years after and how he got to where he is now. I took a look at his IMBD listing as well, and I was unaware of how much he has worked since Potter. If you like this kind of book, I would recommend.

28/20

Oh my goodness. I have not checked in since June, I believe. I had surgery the end of June and spent a lot of time at home in July because my recovery was slow. I had lots of time to read. I pretty much have read nothing of substance the past few months. :rolleyes1

Got started on Freida McFadden books. They are psychological thrillers. She is known for her big "twists" at the end of the story.

Her books:
The Inmate
Want to Know a Secret?
One by One
The Locked Door
The Surrogate Mother
The Coworker
The Perfect Son

Other authors:
The Right Address
The Hotel
The Last Flight
The Senator's Wife - this was a good one..... didn't anticipate the ending at all.
The Darlings - I enjoyed this one - set in Cape Cod, one of my favorite places
Hidden Pictures - this one had a supernatural element to it
You Shouldn't Have Come Here
Daisy Darker - quite good. I would recommend
The Paris Apartment
5 Star Weekend - not my favorite Hildebrand book by a longshot
Local Woman Missing
The Perfect Marriage
Wish You Were Here
Overkill
The Island
The Kitchen House
The Weight of Blood

My favorite, by far and wide, was the Kitchen House. So very, very good!

28/20

Oh my goodness. I have not checked in since June, I believe. I had surgery the end of June and spent a lot of time at home in July because my recovery was slow. I had lots of time to read. I pretty much have read nothing of substance the past few months. :rolleyes1

Got started on Freida McFadden books. They are psychological thrillers. She is known for her big "twists" at the end of the story.

Her books:
The Inmate
Want to Know a Secret?
One by One
The Locked Door
The Surrogate Mother
The Coworker
The Perfect Son

Other authors:
The Right Address
The Hotel
The Last Flight
The Senator's Wife - this was a good one..... didn't anticipate the ending at all.
The Darlings - I enjoyed this one - set in Cape Cod, one of my favorite places
Hidden Pictures - this one had a supernatural element to it
You Shouldn't Have Come Here
Daisy Darker - quite good. I would recommend
The Paris Apartment
5 Star Weekend - not my favorite Hildebrand book by a longshot
Local Woman Missing
The Perfect Marriage
Wish You Were Here
Overkill
The Island
The Kitchen House
The Weight of Blood

I’m not doing the reading challenge, but come on here to look for new books. I had to say The Kitchen House is by far the best book I’ve read!!! ❤️ it!!
I was really surprised I hadn’t seen anyone else mention it.

21 of 24 - Slow Horses (Slough House #1) by Mick Herron

Book series is the basis for the Slow Horses TV adaptation on Apple TV+. I highly recommend both. The series concerns British MI5 agents who have been exiled to "Slough House," (it's in London but might as well be in Slough). Generally considered a gang of incompetents (slow horses), they're really an assortment of cold war holdovers, agents who took the fall for someone else's failure, agents who were sabotaged by superiors who feared them, people too obnoxious to work with, and yes, some some addicts and incompetents. In this first entry, MI5's "Second Desk", a scheming head of operations who wants to become First Desk, orchestrates a false flag extremist kidnapping that goes awry and the Slow Horses realize they're the designated scapegoats.

End of the months = my monthly wrap up.

168) One Fair Wage: Ending Subminimum Pay in America by Saru Jayaraman – Labor/Social Justice. 4.5/5

169) Half of the World in Light by Juan Felipe Herrera – Poetry. 4/5

170) The Disney Revolt: The Great Labor War of Animation's Golden Age by Jake S Friedman – Labor/History. 4.25/5

171) On the Line: A Story of Class, Solidarity, and Two Women's Epic Fight to Build a Union by Daisy Pitkin – Labor/Memoir/Social Justice. 4.25/5

172) The Letters of Joe Hill: Centenary Edition by Joe Hill – History. 3.75/5

173) Dominicana by Angie Cruz – Historical Fiction/Bildungsroman. 4/5

174) Where the Rhythm Takes You by Sarah Dass – YA Contemporary/Romance. 4/5

175) All Systems Red by Martha Wells – Sci-Fi. 5/5

176) Family Lore by Elizabeth Acevedo – Magical Realism. 4/5

177) Furia by Yamile Saied Mendez – YA Contemporary. 4.25/5

178) Lima : Limón by Natalie Scenters-Zapico – Poetry. 4.5/5

179) Woman Without Shame: Poems by Sandra Cisneros – Poetry. 4.25/5

180) The Lesbiana's Guide to Catholic School by Sonora Reyes – YA Contemporary/Romance. 5/5

181) The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon by William M. Adler – Biography/Labor/History. 4/5

182) One Week to Claim It All by Adriana Herrera – Romance. 3.5/5

183) A Ballad of Love and Glory: A Novel by Reyna Grande – Historical Fiction. 4.25/5

184) Midnight in Vehicle City: General Motors, Flint, and the Strike That Created the Middle Class by Edward McClelland – Labor/History. 4.5/5

185) Forget the Alamo: The Rise and Fall of an American Myth by Bryan Burrough, Chris Tomlinson, and Jason Stanford – History. 4.5/5

186) Promises of Gold by José Olivarez – Poetry. 5/5

187) A House of My Own: Stories from My Life by Sandra Cisneros – Memoir/Essays. 5/5

188) They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera – YA Speculative Fiction/Romance. 3.5/5

189) The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea – Literary Fiction/Contemporary. 4/5

190) Mango, Mambo, and Murder by Raquel V. Reyes – Cozy Mystery. 3/5

191) L.A. Weather by María Amparo Escandón – Contemporary. 3/5

192) A Caribbean Heiress in Paris by Adriana Herrera – Historical Fiction/Romance. 4.25/5

193) When We Make It by Elisabet Velasquez – YA Contemporary/Verse Novel. 4.5/5

194) Sabrina & Corina: Stories by Kali Fajardo-Anstine – Short Stories/Contemporary/Literary Fiction. 4.25/5

195) Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat – Short Stories/Literary Fiction. 4/5

196) How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez – YA Historical Fiction. 3.5/5

197) To Selena, With Love by Chris Pérez – Memoir. 4.25/5

198) A Beautiful Work in Progress by Mirna Valerio – Memoir. 4/5

22 of 24 - Shift (Silo #2), Omnibus version by Hugh Howey.

This is fine, though I didn't enjoy this as much as the first book. That book had the advantage of mystery: why are people living in an underground silo, why are there no elevators, why is there so much deception and mistrust, and why are they deliberately cut off from history?
This book answers most of those questions and I just didn't love the answers. Not sure what I was hoping for, though.

25/30 - Ill Wind by Nevada Barr

Description:
"When national park ranger Anna Pigeon needs to find peace, she turns to nature. Lucky for her, she's been newly assigned to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Anna is enthralled by its ruins: the ancient cliff dwellings of a vanished Native American civilization. But Anna's reverie is shattered by an inexplicable illness affecting visitors to the popular landmark - and two mysterious tragedies: the death of a child... and the murder of a friend. Now she must find the very human source of the evil wind that is blowing through the ruins. For it threatens more innocent lives - including Anna's own..."

This is the 3rd book in Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series. I have enjoyed the books I've read so far, especially the descriptions of the National Parks where the books take place.

17/35 Master Slave Husband Wife by Ilyon Woo

The amazing true story of William and Ellen Craft who escaped slavery in Georgia by Ellen disguising herself as a sickly, white male slave owner traveling north with her slave, actually her husband. The story itself is pretty remarkable, chronicling their journey, their close calls at almost being detected, and then their less than peaceful stay in Boston. The only downside I found were the plethora of names throughout the book. While some well known figures in history make an appearance, like Frederick Douglas and Daniel Webster, it was hard to keep track of everyone. But overall a very interesting book.
I agree, a very interesting book. Would have never heard of it if it hadn’t been mentioned here. Thank you.

4.5/5
72/75

26/30 - What She Left Behind by Ellen Wiseman

The breakout novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Orphan Collector, What She Left Behind weaves together riveting stories of past and present, exploring the strength of women in two different times as they face adversity in two very different ways. Go inside the horrifying walls of a 1920s New York asylum as a wrongly imprisoned woman fights for what is most important to her—and meet the young woman confronting the pain and mystery of her own family’s mental illness two generations later.

I chose this book because the setting was a place about an hour from my home so I was intrigued. It was ok. I think I am tiring of the duel plot line. Clara's story was so much more interesting than the modern one. It was a 3 out of 5 for me.

27/30 The Midwife of Auschwitz by Anna Stuart.

Auschwitz, 1943: As I held the tiny baby in my arms, my fingers traced the black tattoo etched across her little thigh. And I prayed that one day this set of numbers, identical to her mother’s, would have the power to reunite a family torn apart by war…

Inspired by an incredible true story, this poignant novel tells of one woman’s fight for love, life and hope during a time of unimaginable darkness.

Ana Kaminski is pushed through the iron gates of Auschwitz beside her frightened young friend Ester Pasternak. As they reach the front of the line, Ana steps forward and quietly declares herself a midwife – and Ester her assistant. Their arms are tattooed and they’re ordered to the maternity hut. Holding an innocent new-born baby, Ana knows the fate of so many are in her hands, and vows to do everything she can to save them.

This was a 3 out 5 for me. It was ok.

Books 56-66: It's been awhile since I've reported in. This summer I read all of the C. J. Box Joe Pickett series, then I re-read the Harry Potter books, and then... drum roll (for me), I started in on Georgette Heyer. Yep. Regency Romance at its finest. Not that I'd know, precisely, because I don't read romance, but that's what I hear. In any event, I have found these books delightful! Fun and often quite hilarious. A totally refreshing change of pace for me. Last summer I re-read all of Jane Austen. These Heyers, obviously, are not Jane Austen, but a kind of popular writer's Jane Austen Lite. So far I've read the following:

The Grand Sophy - my favorite so far
Venetia
Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle
April Lady
Sprig Muslin
Bath Tangle
The Toll-Gate
Cotillion
Arabella
April Lady
The Unknown Ajax
And its been awhile since I've been here also since your post is my first unread.
Love Joe Pickett tv show but have only read one of the books & it wasn't even the first one.
Never got past the first Harry Potter book or movie. Will have to go back & try again. My daughter has all the books so shouldn't be hard to restart.
I don't read romance novels either but Georgette Heyer sounds so familiar, I think she wrote a couple 'gothic' novels many years ago. I used to be a huge fan of those in my younger years, lol.

28/20
One of my favorites also & the sequel Glory Over Everything was good too.
I’m not doing the reading challenge, but come on here to look for new books. I had to say The Kitchen House is by far the best book I’ve read!!! ❤️ it!!
I was really surprised I hadn’t seen anyone else mention it.
I'm pretty sure it was listed on here maybe last year? I know several have read it & liked it.

August:

#46/80: The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell (3/5) (historical fiction)

In 1550s Florence, Lucrezia is content to be the third daughter of the grand duke, and pursue her interests, which are not typical of young women of the day. But when her sister dies suddenly, Duke Alfonso now asks for Lucrezia’s hand in marriage. Now young Lucrezia is thrust into an unfamiliar world, and must submit to the whims of her new husband.

#47/80: The Librarian Spy by Madeline Martin (4/5) (historical fiction)

1943: Ava leaves her job at the Library of Congress to work as an undercover spy in Lisbon. Elaine begins working for the Resistance in Nazi occupied France. The two women find themselves connecting through coded messages.

#48/80: Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (5/5) (fiction)

Set in modern Southern Appalachia, the story of a boy whose talent for survival guides him through a disastrous childhood, foster care, addition, and more.

Winner of the 2023 Pulitzer Prize.

#49/80: Master Slave Husband Wife by Ilyon Woo (4/5) (nonfiction)

The true story of Ellen and William Craft who escaped slavery through disguise as she posed as a wealthy disabled White man and he posed as “his” slave.

September:

#50/80: A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Nielsen (4/5) (YA historical fiction)

As the Berlin Wall goes up, Gerta finds her family divided. She is on the eastern side with her mother and older brother, while her father and other brother are now trapped on the western side. One day Gerta sees her father pantomiming a strange dance. Is he telling her to tunnel out? When she receives a mysterious map, she and her brother make the decision to try.

#51/80: Off the Grid (Joe Pickett #16) by C. J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

Nate is off the grid, but a team of special ops finds him and makes a deal to clear his record if he locates a terror cell. But the team is not who they seem, and Nate and Joe end up back together, but for how long?

#52/80: Ordinary Grace by William Kent Kruger (5/5) (mystery)

1961 was a grim summer for teenager Frank Drum when tragedy struck his family. Suddenly, he finds himself having to navigate an adult world of secrets, lies, and betrayals.

#53/80: Horse by Geraldine Brooks (5/5) (historical fiction)

Based on the remarkable story of the thoroughbred Lexington, this is a novel that spans over a century, starting with an enslaved groom and the foal that grows to be a record-setting racehorse.

#54/80: The Raging Storm (Venn #3) by Ann Cleeves (4/5) (mystery)

Jem Rosco delights the residents of Greystone when he arrives in their small village. But he soon disappears, and his lifeless body is in a dinghy during a violent storm. DI Matthew Venn is called in to investigate. But Venn finds the task unnerving, as he spent time there as a child, when he was part of the community that he left behind.

#45/50 A Mother Would Know by Amber Garza
A mother questions everything she knows about her son when a local woman is found dead. Valerie has been forgetting things. Her daughter worries about her being on her own in her big Victorian house
With few options, she asks her adult son to move home, but it’s not quite the reunion she hoped for. Hudson is taciturn, moody and frequently gone. The neighbors already hold a grudge against Hudson, and they aren’t happy about his return. When a young woman is found murdered a block away, suspicion falls on him immediately, without a shred of evidence. While Valerie fights to defend her son, she begins to wonder who she really invited into her home.
Just ok, no likable characters
#46/50 Heartbreak Bay by Rachel Caine
This is number 5 in the Stillhouse Lake series. The first 3 were very good, 4 somewhat good, 5 was getting a little tedious. There is only 1 more in the series so I will probably go ahead & read that one just for closure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter