Reading Challenge/Goals for 2023--2024 link added

Oh, No! After using Overdrive for 10 years at our library for my Kindle books, I logged on last night to find the library's switched over to Libby. I know they had to, but I'm very computer-illiterate and the library's offered nothing-no classes, no training, on this. This morning I tried to import my Wish List, and couldn't do that even. Please give me some encouragement-the thought of not being able to read makes me so sad, and I can't drive (the reason I got , so I can't even go and take out books "the old fashioned way". Please give me some words of encouragement. I'm so upset!
Oh no! Try calling and speaking to a librarian. They might be able to help you over the phone. They also might have volunteers who deliver books (our library does).

Well, I stuck with it last night and got to download a book onto my kindle app. That's by far the most important thing to me. It's "The Foundling". I may not even read it-I just wanted to learn how to download and probably how to return it. But just wondering, does anyone know the book, and has an opinion on whether or not I should read it?

7. Broken: How Our Social Systems are Failing Us and How We Can Fix Them by Dr. Paul J. LeBlanc

The author is the president of Southern New Hampshire University and in this book he tackles the brokenness of our education system, our healthcare system and our governmental systems. With chapters on mattering, telling personal stories, scaling solutions, dreaming big dreams, and the power of inspired leadership, LeBlanc charts a pathway for improving our broken systems, and shares the stories of leaders in various sectors who have done just that. He is humble and admits his own failures in leadership in his career (and what he has learned from them). A very interested read for anyone working in the human development field.

8. Road to Relevance: 5 Strategies for Competitive Associations by Harrison Coerver and Mary Byers

I will be taking on a role in my professional development association as President this coming year, and this book was recommended as a guide to how to make professional associations matter and how to improve their operation and performance. Written in 2013, some of the lessons seem a little dated, but in general it was a good guidebook and I do think I will draw some guidance and inspiration from it. Perhaps not for everyone, but if you are also working in a role like this (or volunteering), it might be worth a read.

9. Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar

The first book in what has become a trilogy, this novella introduces us to Gwendy, a young girl "gifted" with a mysterious magical box by a strange figure. The box (of course) is more than it appears and while one lever dispenses a chocolate a day (which seems to solve weight gain and other issues) and another lever dispenses a vintage silver dollar, the buttons can do some serious damage. This novella follows Gwendy through childhood, adolescence and into young adulthood as she wrestles with the power of the box. I am looking forward to the next two books in the series (I have not yet read these).

Wow. It's been a LONG time since my last post, but things have been very busy with lots going on, and frankly I got stuck with a book that took forever to read. So finally here is my update.

10. Antifragile: Things that Gain from Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

In theory, this should be a book that speaks to me. In it, Taleb explores a concept he calls "anti-fragility" where ideal systems are strengthened by chaos and disorder, rather than weakened by these forces. His book collects a number of aspects to this theory - financial, governmental, economic, scientific, biologic, the list goes on. And yet, this book was a BEAR to read through. I just couldn't find my way through it. I did take over a month (or more) to make my way through 2/3rds of it, and by then I had had enough. The subject promised to be interesting, but the execution wasn't, sadly. I'm still claiming it on my list though!

11. The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2023 by Seth Kubersky, Bob Sehlinger, and Len Testa

I was thinking of going to Anaheim this summer. I have a conference in San Diego and it seemed appealing since I have never been to Disneyland. In preparation, I bought this book to read through the information I would need for an amazing visit. Plans have changed, sadly, but my conference will actually be in Anaheim in 2025, so consider this advance advance planning. Good read if you haven't seen this series before (I used to buy the DIsney World version annually).

12. Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

This next in my series of Stephen King reads, this collaboration with his son, Owen, tells the story of a mysterious sleeping disease that impacts all of the women in the world, spawned by a mystical being who is testing mankind to see whether their warlike or nurturing nature will win out. A beautiful novel, it is also a slow read, very unlike many of the King books I have read. The final third picks up the pace, and the novel pays off in the end.

13. Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks

Geraldine Brooks is the best at what she does - taking real characters or situations from history (about whom little is known) and then building a plausible narrative around their stories. This novel tells the story of the (real-life) first Native American graduate of Harvard College (back in the 1660s). It is a beautifully constructed novel told from the perspective of the daughter of an English minister who lives on Martha's Vineyard. The tale alternates between the island and Harvard in Cambridge (in its earliest days). A real treasure and another example of Brooks' penchant for finding the truth in her historical fiction.

14. The Amusement Park: 900 Years of Thrills and Spills and the Dreamers and Schemers who Built Them by Stephen M. Silverman

This was a recommendation from another reader on this thread and I am glad I ordered this book (through my local library) to read. This gorgeously illustrated and meticulously researched study of public entertainment through time is a joy to read. I found myself searching on YouTube and Google to see what some of the places mentioned look like now (for example, the Hans Christian Anderson Flying Trunk dark ride in Tivoli Gardens), and listening to music played at some of the parks in the 1800s (Champagne Gallop or Champagnegaloppen). The section on Disney was short (and really only retread some well-known myths), but all in all this was certainly worth a read!

And that's my update. Hopefully it won't be three months before my next one!

My April reads:

59) Flush by Virginia Woolf – Classic. 4/5

60) Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Classic/Short Stories. 3/5

61) The Voltairine de Cleyre Reader by Voltairine de Cleyre – Feminism/Philosophy/Politics. 4.5/5

62) Egg: A Dozen Ovatures by Lizzie Stark – History/Nature/Science. 4.5/5

63) Choosing to Run: A Memoir by Des Linden – Memoir. 5/5

64) 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion by Morgan Llywelyn – Historical Fiction. 4.25/5

65) Blue Horses: Poems by Mary Oliver – Poetry. 4.5/5

66) Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims – Horror. 4.25/5

67) The Perseverance by Raymond Antrobus – Poetry. 4.25/5

68) The Intersectional Environmentalist: How to Dismantle Systems of Oppression to Protect People + Planet by Leah Thomas – Environment/Social Justice. 4.5/5

69) Stranger Music: Selected Poems and Songs by Leonard Cohen – Poetry. 4.5/5

70) Future on Fire: Capitalism and the Politics of Climate Change by David Camfield – Nature/Politics. 3.5/5

71) Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel – Classic/Magical Realism. 4/5

72) The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F. C. Yee – YA Urban Fantasy. 4.25/5

73) Na Viro by Gina Cole – Sci-Fi. 4/5

74) The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah – Fantasy. 4.5/5

75) The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly – Historical Fiction/Romance. 3.75/5

76) The Twenty-Ninth Year by Hala Alyan – Poetry. 4.25/5

I've read 2 of her books. I haven't read "The Paris Daughter", but based on my experiences with her books, that's only because our library doesn't have it-yet. One of her books, "The Book of Lost Names" was a 5 star book for me, one of the most fascinating books I've read about the French Resistance in WWII. The other book, "The Forest of Vanishing Stars" I enjoyed also. I hope you enjoy your book.
I just finished “The Forest of Vanishing Stars” and I rate it 4.5/5.
34/75

@Simba's Mom , our library uses Libby, and I download books to my iPad. I find it hard to use, and hard to find books. I hope you find it easier to use with practice. I have not read the book you are asking about.

#23/50 The Keepers by Jeffery Burton
The second installment of the Mace Reid K9 series about a dog trainer & his group of cadaver dogs, each with a special ability.
Pretty good. There is one more in the series so I will read that one also

Last edited:
Oh, No! After using Overdrive for 10 years at our library for my Kindle books, I logged on last night to find the library's switched over to Libby. I know they had to, but I'm very computer-illiterate and the library's offered nothing-no classes, no training, on this. This morning I tried to import my Wish List, and couldn't do that even. Please give me some encouragement-the thought of not being able to read makes me so sad, and I can't drive (the reason I got , so I can't even go and take out books "the old fashioned way". Please give me some words of encouragement. I'm so upset!
I wish I could help but I have never used that service from my library

I swore I'd be better at updating this year and I've been horrible. Here's my list. No reviews or summaries as I have over 40 books to list but if anyone is curious about any of them I'm happy to answer questions

3/125 - Playing for Keeps - Kendall Ryan
4/125 - One Last Time - Corinne Michaels
5/125 - Spare - Prince Harry
6/125 - The Four Leaf - Lee Jacquot
7/125 - Not Until You - Corinne Michaels
8/125 - Learn my Lesson - Katee Robert
9/125 - Better Than a Box of Chocolates - Emily March
10/125 - The Royal Assignment - Terence Gray
11/125 - Heartless - Elsie Silver
12/125 - The Fine Print - Lauren Asher
13/125 - Don't Let Me Fall - Kelsie Rae
14/125 - Don't Let Me Go - Kelsie Rae
15/125 - Throttled - Lauren Asher
16/125 - Powerless - Elsie Silver
17/125 - Wrapped Up in You - Ella Frank
18/125 - Highest Bidder - Sara Cate
19/125 - The Wrong Gentleman - Louise Bay
20/125 - Fiftysix - Seven Rue
21/125 - Dirt - Daya Daniels
22/125 - Diamond - Daya Daniels
23/125 - My Best Friend's Sister - QB Tyler
24/125 - Semper Fi - W.E.B. Griffin
25/125 - Mrs. Wickham - Sarah Page
26/125 - A Thief in the Night - KJ Charles
27/125 - Guarding His Obsession - Alexa Riley
28/125 - If I Only Knew - Corinne Michaels
29/125 - Sweet Girl - Jack Whitney
30/125 - Coaxing the Roughneck - Jessa Kane
31/125 - Truck Driver - Jessa Kane
32/125 - Yours Truly - Abby Jimenez
33/125 - Tutoring the Delinquent - Jessa Kane
34/125 - Ice Planet Barbarians - Ruby Dixon
35/125 - Cavalier - TL Smith
36/125 - Curious - Jess Savage
37/125 - That One Night - Emily Rath
38/125 - Dare to Resist - Carly Phillips
39/125 - Dare to Tempt - Carly Phillips
40/125 - Sin Bin - Mandi Beck
41/125 - Pucking Around - Emily Rath
42/125 - Dare to Play - Carly Phillips
43/125 - Dare to Stay - Carly Phillips
44/125 - Arena Lights - Mandi Beck
45/125 - Peaks of Color - Victoria Wilder

Wow okay so that's me caught up now at least. If I had to recommend any one book I've read this year it would HANDS DOWN be Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez. I LOVED this book and have absolutely loved every book that she's written to date (This is #5) If anyone is a baking show fan Abby also owns a bakery called Nadia Cakes that won Cupcake Wars at least once.

35/75 I wanted light reading after the previous few which were about WWII. So, “A Brides Guide to Marriage and Murder” by Diane Freeman filled the bill. Murder and having her brother as a suspect prevented Frances and George from going on their honeymoon. I think it was a bit better than average diversion for me. 3.5/5

I haven't read a lot in the last two months, too much going on in my personal life and it's hard to focus on reading.
5/30- Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog by Lisa Scottoline
6/30- The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
7/30- The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley
8/30- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

08/30 - The Moonstone - by Wilkie Collins

description from the first page of the book -
"The elements which make up The Moonstone - a purloined Indian jewel which carries with it a mysterious curse, a stolid British police sergeant, a drama of theft and murder in a spacious country home - have been repeated, in slightly varying guises, throughout much of the detective fiction that Wilkie Collins' immensely popular 1868 novel gave birth to. But none of those books has surpassed the richness and suspense of the storytelling in The Moonstone, the first of all detective novels and the continuing standard of its genre."

The Moonstone was in my list of books that I wanted to read someday. I have no idea where the recommendation came from. But I ended up checking it out from the library when the book I wanted wasn't on the shelf.

The book was published in 1868 by a British author and I found the way it was written, the vocabulary, the sentence structure, etc, to be very intriguing. You will get an idea of the kind of words used in the novel by the excerpt that I posted. We don't use the word "purloined" in everyday dialog in the modern age, for example.

The edition of the book that I read not only included a long introduction but a chronology of events that occurred during the author's lifetime. For example, the Suez Canal was opened the year after the book was published. There was an element of the plot that somehow related to something in the author's life, so it was a good thing I skimmed through the introduction. But otherwise, it was a good mystery with interesting characters. I really enjoyed it.

rating 4.5/5 - good story :)
Book #22 - The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, recommended by @Wood Nymph. I'd previously read the well-known Woman in White, but hadn't read the Moonstone. So glad it was recommended. An excellent book! 4.5/5

And interestingly enough, this title is soon to be released in the Chiltern book series, a series of beautiful editions of classic books. I collect this series and happily pre-ordered The Moonstone on Amazon.

5. Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano. Edward is the lone survivor of a plan crash that took 191 people. It was an amazing book.

13/24 - One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
⭐⭐⭐⭐️ I recently brought this book with me on my vacation. It’s the perfect book to read by the beach or pool. The whole time you’re kept wondering whether she’ll pick Jesse, her adventurous high school sweetheart, or Sam, the new reliable fiancé. The ending is just beautiful as only TJR can do. It makes you feel all the emotions as if you were living it.

14/24 - Stars in an Italian Sky by Jill Santopolo
⭐⭐⭐️ Usually a fan of historical fiction, this story didn’t engage me as much as other books. The storyline was mostly predictable and the characters weren’t extremely lovable. That being said, it’s a nice story of love lost and found once more.

#24/50 The Exiles by Jane Harper
At a busy festival site on a warm spring night, a baby lies alone in her pram, her mother vanishing into the crowds.
A year on, Kim Gillespie’s absence casts a long shadow as her friends and loved ones gather deep in the heart of South Australian wine country to welcome a new addition to the family.
Joining the celebrations is federal investigator Aaron Falk. But as he soaks up life in the lush valley, he begins to suspect this tight-knit group may be more fractured than it seems.
Between Falk’s closest friend, a missing mother, and a woman he’s drawn to, dark questions linger as long-ago truths begin to emerge.

This one was just ok, a little long winded for the most part.

15/30 - Death of a Valentine by MC Beaton 2.5/5 for me

From GoodReads:
Amazing news has spread across the Scottish countryside. The most famous of highland bachelors, police sergeant Hamish Macbeth, will be married at last. Everyone in the village of Lochdubh adores Josie McSween, Macbeth's newest constable and blushing bride-to-be.

While locals think Josie is quite a catch, Hamish has a case of prenuptial jitters. After all, if it weren't for the recent murder of a beautiful woman in a neighbouring village, there wouldn't be a wedding at all. For it was a mysterious Valentine's Day package--delivered to the victim before her death--that initially drew Hamish and Josie together on the investigation. As they work side by side, Hamish and Josie soon discover that the woman's list of admirers was endless, confirming Hamish's suspicion that love can be blind, deaf . . . and deadly.

I picked this up from on the little free libraries as I so enjoy Agatha Raisin. I will probably give another one a try but Hamish is no Agatha in my opinion. I could not stand Josie in this book at all. I was secretly hoping she would be killed off.

15/30 - Death of a Valentine by MC Beaton 2.5/5 for me

From GoodReads:
Amazing news has spread across the Scottish countryside. The most famous of highland bachelors, police sergeant Hamish Macbeth, will be married at last. Everyone in the village of Lochdubh adores Josie McSween, Macbeth's newest constable and blushing bride-to-be.

While locals think Josie is quite a catch, Hamish has a case of prenuptial jitters. After all, if it weren't for the recent murder of a beautiful woman in a neighbouring village, there wouldn't be a wedding at all. For it was a mysterious Valentine's Day package--delivered to the victim before her death--that initially drew Hamish and Josie together on the investigation. As they work side by side, Hamish and Josie soon discover that the woman's list of admirers was endless, confirming Hamish's suspicion that love can be blind, deaf . . . and deadly.

I picked this up from on the little free libraries as I so enjoy Agatha Raisin. I will probably give another one a try but Hamish is no Agatha in my opinion. I could not stand Josie in this book at all. I was secretly hoping she would be killed off.
I like both the Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth series. In both cases, I like the earlier books better. By the later books (as in this one, #25 in the series), the various love interests and the characters' "quirks" start to get a little wearing.

12/30 - The Mysterious Affair at Styles: a Hercule Poirot novel mystery - by Agatha Christie

This is the first of the Hercule Poirot novels and I like to start at the beginning of a series. This was a very good mystery that kept me guessing until the end. Agatha Christie included an element that was exactly the same as in the book, The Moonstone, a book that claims to be the base for many subsequent mysteries. I found that to be interesting. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter