Reading Challenge/Goals for 2023--2024 link added

#10/56-"Kept:An American Househusband in India", Gregory Buford-5 stars. A lighthearted, funny story about a couple who spends 2 years as foreign diplomats (she's the diplomat). I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Joining late. My goal is 24. Last year I only manage 11 of 24, and I also never listed my last 3 in the 2022 thread.
So, finishing that off:

2022 9 of 11[24] Kaleidoscope (Nameless Season Two #3) Dean Koontz
2022 10 of 11[24] Severance: The Lexington Letter - Anonymous
2022 11 of 11[24] The Forbidden Door (Jane Hawk #4) Dean Koontz

Now, 2023:
1 of 24 - Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War, Robert Coram. Biography of an extraordinary man who (1) became thr Air Force equivalent of the Navy's Top Gun in the AF fight school, (2) then used his Aeronautics Engineering degree to discover and perfect an equation never before used that completely revolutionized how we design, measure, and build fighter jets, and (3) invented the OODA loop which is now used to develop tactics and strategy not only in military actions, but business and almost any other area of intense competition. The man was a genius, and also pretty much a jerk to his family (not abusive, but neglectful and indifferent). Fascinating.

2 of 24 - Advise and Consent, Allen Drury. 1959 political fiction novel turned into a 1962 movie. Definitely dated, but arguably still the best political novel in American history.

I began those first 2 in the third quarter of 2022 and though I liked them, it was a mistake to undertake a pair of giant, somewhat dry books at the same time. They are largely the reason I fell so far behind last year. I do recommend them both, especially the biography.

3 of 24 - A Deadly Education (Scholomance #1), Naomi Novik. Fantasy novel published in 2020 about a young woman in a school for magical youth, one parent is dead and she grows up disconnected from the world of magic, and finds the school rife with cliques, cool kids, and a set of wealthy socially connected students who mostly want nothing to do with her. And that setup aside, this book is nothing like Harry Potter. It is completely original and clever. Highly recommended if you think it might interest you at all.

4 of 24 - Light Has Weight, but Darkness Does Not (Nameless: Season Two #4), Dean Koontz. Very short novel in a series by Koontz. My least favorite of he set, but it's drawing close to the end of the series and I think he had to get some things in order for the conclusion.

Last edited:
2/20 for me for 2023. I set a goal last year of 20 - almost made it; 19/20 and I was 1/3 through #20.
#1 - Neal Shusterman, "Game Changer" (4/5)
#2 - Nicholas Sparks, "Dreamland" (5/5)
I think that when I read your post, I thought ”I used to read and enjoy Nicholas Sparks” and so, I put a hold on ”Dreamland” and I just finished it. I really enjoyed it! 4.5/5

19/75

06/30 - The Second Mrs. Astor by Shana Abe

I chose this book because I wanted to read another historical fiction book that took place around the same period as the book, "The Personal Librarian", which I had just finished. The main character is Madeliene Force who met John Jacob Astor IV when she was just 17 years old and married him when she was 18. He was 47 years old when they got married. I can understand the scandal that something like this would cause, especially in the era when divorce was frowned upon. I enjoyed the story, especially the Titanic experience, but it pales in comparison to some of the other great stories about the Titanic.

5/24 - The Paper Palace by Miranda Cowley Heller ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ out of 5

6/24 - Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️!!!! Out of 5 LOVED THIS BOOK! 🐙🥹

More thoughts to add in. Wanted to post count before I forgot.

5/12 Fame and Fortune and Murder (Fiona Fleming Cozy Mysteries Book 3) by Patti Larsen.
  • Small town celebrities, murder, and sleuthing all lead our main character to question the guests at her B&B. What Fiona doesn't know is that those she suspects might not be the culprit.

06/30 - The Second Mrs. Astor by Shana Abe

I chose this book because I wanted to read another historical fiction book that took place around the same period as the book, "The Personal Librarian", which I had just finished. The main character is Madeliene Force who met John Jacob Astor IV when she was just 17 years old and married him when she was 18. He was 47 years old when they got married. I can understand the scandal that something like this would cause, especially in the era when divorce was frowned upon. I enjoyed the story, especially the Titanic experience, but it pales in comparison to some of the other great stories about the Titanic.
Agree 100%. I read it because it happened to be free on kindle. Not a bad read, but as you said, pales in comparison to other great Titanic books.

Read a little P. G. Wodehouse as a palate-cleanser after the melodramatic soap-opera / WWII historical fiction that was The Nightingale.

Book 10: My Man Jeeves
Book 11: The Inimitable Jeeves
Book 12: Carry On, Jeeves

If you're not familiar with Jeeves, just know they're highly comic, old (first book published in 1915) and British. Jeeves is the "perfect valet", manservant to young Bertie Wooster, one of the Idle Rich. They get into various adventures and hilarity ensues. Here's an example of the writing style. I found this passage hilarious.

"I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad - who says that it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping. There's no doubt the man's right."

Jeeves & Wooster was a TV show in the early 90's starring Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. Of course there's only so much Jeeves a person can take, so I changed gears for Book 13.

Book 13: The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge by Michael Punke. This book was the basis of the film The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio. The book was great. Well written and well researched historical fiction (based on true events). Easy fast read. I read it in 2 days.

Just started Book 14, just something I ran across while browsing Kindle: Devil Up by TR Pearson. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm like "Who is TR Pearson and where has he been all my life?". Totally engaging writing style. I know I've only just started. Hoping the book doesn't go south.

Last edited:

#4/90: The Address by by Fiona Davis (3/5) (romantic historical fiction)

1884: Sara Smythe has just been given the chance of a lifetime: the opportunity to leave England and be the manager of the newly built Dakota, and work closely with Theodore Camden, the young architect who designed the building.

!985: Bailey Camden is fresh out of rehab and looking to get her life back together. Granddaughter of Theo Camden’s ward, she has no claim on the family fortune, but remains close to one heir, Melinda, who offers Bailey the opportunity to redo the elegant apartment in the Dakota where Theo was murdered by a former employee - Sara Smythe. But Bailey discovers secrets that change everything that was once considered fact.

Thanks for summarizing this. I read and gave It a 3.5/5

20/75

3/30- Spare by Prince Harry- I thought this book was well written, it was a very interesting read. I do have quite a bit of empathy towards him, especially when it comes to the paparazzi. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anyone. I hope he finds peace over here with his family.

4/30- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King- I was hesitant to jump back into reading his books. As I stated previously, I read quite a few of them in high school-Carrie, Pet Semetary, It, etc. I'm just not able to handle some of the gore as I've gotten older. I did read Elevation last year as it was quite short and I was trying to complete my reading goal, lol. Unfortunately I thought that book was ridiculous, did not like it. Anyway, this one was better. It kept me engaged and wasn't too gory for me. The characters were all over the place though, plot was was unbelievable to me. The beginning of the book had me going-"What the heck?" I'm not sure I will read any more of the trilogy although it does make me curious about the tv series. I love Brendan Gleeson so maybe I'll check that out.

I think I'm going to reread the Harry Potter books again, my husband are hoping to get over to London in June. This was a postponed trip from 2020. I can't wait!
Just catching up and saw your review of Mr. Mercedes, which we had discussed earlier. I'm not a fan of the trilogy. In particular, I disliked the character of Holly Gibney. Can't stand her. But some people love her. SK's next book (sadly for me) is titled "Holly"... set to be released Sep 2023. Curious if you feel like sharing... did you like Holly?

Just catching up and saw your review of Mr. Mercedes, which we had discussed earlier. I'm not a fan of the trilogy. In particular, I disliked the character of Holly Gibney. Can't stand her. But some people love her. SK's next book (sadly for me) is titled "Holly"... set to be released Sep 2023. Curious if you feel like sharing... did you like Holly?
She really rubbed you the wrong way, huh? What is it about the character you disliked? To me, her character was presented as someone who had certain "issues" to work through(don't want to offend anyone) and I could relate to some of that myself. She did come off as a know it all though. I picked up Mr. Mercedes tv series dvd from the library, thought I would check that out and see how it compares to the book.

5/30 - A Superior Death by Nevada Barr

Description:
"Park ranger Anna Pigeon returns, in a mystery that unfolds in and around Lake Superior, in whose chilling depths sunken treasure comes with a deadly price. In her latest mystery, Nevada Barr sends Ranger Pigeon to a new post amid the cold, deserted, and isolated beauty of Isle Royale National Park, a remote island off the coast of Michigan known for fantastic deep-water dives of wrecked sailing vessels. Leaving behind memories of the Texas high desert and the environmental scam she helped uncover, Anna is adjusting to the cool damp of Lake Superior and the spirits and lore of the northern Midwest. But when a routine application for a diving permit reveals a grisly underwater murder, Anna finds herself 260 feet below the forbidding surface of the lake, searching for the connection between a drowned man and an age-old cargo ship. Written with a naturalist's feel for the wilderness and a keen understanding of characters who thrive in extreme conditions, A Superior Death is a passionate, atmospheric page-turner."

This is the 2nd book in the Anna Pigeon series. I liked it a lot. I have especially liked the descriptions of the National Parks and the wilderness in the first 2 books of the series. I look forward to continuing the series.

She really rubbed you the wrong way, huh? What is it about the character you disliked? To me, her character was presented as someone who had certain "issues" to work through(don't want to offend anyone) and I could relate to some of that myself. She did come off as a know it all though. I picked up Mr. Mercedes tv series dvd from the library, thought I would check that out and see how it compares to the book.
Well, to be honest, it's been a long while since I read the Bill Hodges trilogy, but I disliked all of the characters, not just Holly. I don't want to get smoked here, I know a lot of people LOVE these characters and that's okay. This is just my opinion - going from memory:

1. Bill Hodges - I found the character and his actions unbelievable from start to finish.

2. The Bad Guy - I can't remember his name. He was like some kind of cartoon boogie-man.

3. Sidekick 1 - Jerome? - Is a super smart black teen (headed to Harvard) who does yardwork for Bill. For some reason, he banters in slave-slang to Bill Hodges. I found that extremely weird and offensive.

4. Sidekick 2 - Holly Gibney. I don't recall her condition actually being defined. She exhibits traits including OCD, anxiety and depression. Battles smoking addiction, takes Lexapro. I recall her being described as "a few bricks short" or something like that, and her meds being described as "happy pills" or something like that. Those were extremely offensive descriptions, in my opinion. Holly has "endearing quirks" such as refusing to swear and using words like "poopy" and "frack". She's supposed to be impossibly smart (a savant?). However, I don't recall her ever doing much besides excelling at online research and having good instincts or good luck. Some of her fans like to say she has "the shining" but I don't remember any real evidence of that. In any case, I just don't like this character. She pops up again in the Outsider and Let It Bleed, and now in the new Sept 2023 release. Overexposure, anyone? Apparently SK loves her.

TV Series - I did not watch the Mr. Mercedes series, but I did watch The Outsider series (because my non-reading husband forced me to). Holly Gibney is played by 2 different people in those series. Interesting.

Read a little P. G. Wodehouse as a palate-cleanser after the melodramatic soap-opera / WWII historical fiction that was The Nightingale.

Book 10: My Man Jeeves
Book 11: The Inimitable Jeeves
Book 12: Carry On, Jeeves

If you're not familiar with Jeeves, just know they're highly comic, old (first book published in 1915) and British. Jeeves is the "perfect valet", manservant to young Bertie Wooster, one of the Idle Rich. They get into various adventures and hilarity ensues. Here's an example of the writing style. I found this passage hilarious.

"I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad - who says that it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping. There's no doubt the man's right."

Jeeves & Wooster was a TV show in the early 90's starring Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. Of course there's only so much Jeeves a person can take, so I changed gears for Book 13.

Book 13: The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge by Michael Punke. This book was the basis of the film The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio. The book was great. Well written and well researched historical fiction (based on true events). Easy fast read. I read it in 2 days.

Just started Book 14, just something I ran across while browsing Kindle: Devil Up by TR Pearson. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm like "Who is TR Pearson and where has he been all my life?". Totally engaging writing style. I know I've only just started. Hoping the book doesn't go south.
Now, in the VWL Groupies thread, there is a link to “The Butler” a tongue in cheek short You Tube, that you may enjoy.

Hello, Groupies, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all! I do hope it's a good holiday for everyone out there, albeit truly cold in certain parts of the country (like here).

In secondary news, JT and I keep in touch as we're not too far away, and he discovered a little project I've been doing with a former student of mine who just graduated from college earlier this month. As part of his senior project in film and media, he had to do a short film. This student, Logan Ramey, opted to do something a little more adventurous and humorous. He created a short episodic show entitled the Butler...starring Patrick Butler...as the Butler. Yeah, it's that kind of humor. Anyway, JT thought others might get a kick out of them so I'm providing the link to his YouTube channel. He drops one episode each Friday (yesterday was Ep 3), and we enjoyed doing them so much, we did a "special Christmas" episode that he plans to put on the channel tomorrow if he can get the editing done. They're goofy, silly, over-the-top, but in good fun. I hope you enjoy them!
https://www.youtube.com/@realloganramey

And, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

5 of 24 - Tress of the Emerald Sea, by Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson is a crazily prolific fantasy writer, who has completed and is also in the middle of multiple multi-volume series, all of which are loosely connected in the same "cosmere" universe while separate enough each stands on its own. During Covid he got so bored he decided to write 4 unplanned single volume stand-alone novels, and he sold them on Kickstarter as mystery books while giving no clues what they are about. Tress is the first book in the set and the only one released so far. Tress the character is a young woman in love whose beloved is kidnapped by a sorceress and taken hostage across the oceans and effectively abandoned by his family, so she sets off and a pretty hopeless quest to rescue him. I can't possibly do it justice in a summary. It is fairy tale adjacent in a sort of Princess Bride style. Not my favorite but refreshing to read a fantasy that begins and ends in a single volume.

Now, in the VWL Groupies thread, there is a link to “The Butler” a tongue in cheek short You Tube, that you may enjoy.
Thanks for the shoutout, bobbi! Each episode is 2-5 minutes in length, and there are five from Season 1, plus a Christmas episode. A standalone episode (6+ minutes!) is dropping tomorrow--it was filmed for a short film festival in Johnson City, TN. We'll be doing Season 2 later this month into April. pirate:

Book 14: Devil Up by T. R. Pearson
5 Stars I had never heard of this author, and I loved this book. It came up in my Kindle recommendations. After reading the summary and positive reviews including "T. R. Pearson enchants us with his unique voice and rich language. He is my favorite writer." - John Grisham, I decided to give it a shot. T. R. Pearson has the right stuff. Super engaging prose, great voice, and man, can he spin a yarn.

Devil Up is a Western about a 16 year old boy who sets out for California in 1879. He's got a mule and a gun. He picks up various eclectic and interesting pals along the way and they engage in rollicking frontier adventures. Characters are totally memorable, right down to the mule. Told in the first person, with a good bit of humor. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

I am a fan of Westerns, but I believe this book would appeal even to those who aren't. It's a great story with a ton of zip.

***Edited to Add: I found out that T. R. Pearson got the endorsement from John Grisham because he worked with Grisham on the screenplay of The Rainmaker.

Last edited:
07/30 - The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd

This historical fiction is based on the true story of a 16 girl who was put in charge of three plantations in South Carolina in 1739 by her absentee father. Eliza Lucas needed a crop that would "pay the bills" and had known a little about indigo production from her years spent in the west Indies, where the blue dye was successfully produced.

It was a very interesting story of the challenges she faced, and I very much enjoyed this book. It was a story that I wished would continue because I wanted to know what else happened to her. It prompted me to do a little research on the internet, which is always a good thing when dealing with historical fiction.

rate - 4 out of 5 stars

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter