Reading Challenge 2022

46/50. An Irish Country Love Story by Patrick Taylor 4.5/6

One thing I like about the series is that you get to know the residents of the town of Ballybucklebo as well as the principals.

Last edited:
And now for the first of the library books:

70. Gangsters of Capitalism: Smedley Butler, the Marines, and the Making and Breaking of America's Empire by Jonathan M. Katz

So anytime I can read a non-fiction biography about a man with the first name of Smedley, count me in (lol). Actually, I picked this one up because I was interested in reading the sections of the book on Panama (which is where I was born - in the Canal Zone), but this book gave me so much more. This is a biography of Smedley Butler, a famous marine I admit I had never heard of. His travels around the world in service to America's imperial hunger (to China, to Haiti, to Cuba, to Panama, to the Philippines) make for a fascinating read. And even more interesting is the way the author connects Smedley's journeys and deeds (some nefarious) to the current state of affairs in each place Smedley touched. The author intersperses his own modern-day travel to these places and provides a modern reflection on the state of affairs brought about by America's role in the country. An important book that tells more than one man's story, but yet what an interesting story it was.

71. Stranger than Fanfiction by Chris Colfer

Chris Colfer played Kurt on the tv show "Glee". And this book puts all of his knowledge of Hollywood and tv actors into great service to his story. The novel (written for YA) is about a group of friends who are graduating high school and taking a cross-country road trip. On a lark, one of them invites the star of their favorite TV show - Cash Carter from Wiz Kids - to join them, and when he does lots of hijinks ensue. Who's keeping secrets from who? Why is Cash so unlike his likable character on screen? And what are these best friends not telling each other? Lots of life lessons, and some bad behavior. This is an LGBT-friendly, realistic view of teen life, so parents beware. It really wasn't written for us anyway. But if you can let that go, it is a fast and very entertaining book. It may also leave you emotionally moved.

72. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

Just when you thought it was safe to go beyond The Hunger Games... This prequel of a sort tells the story of a young Coriolanus Snow (who is President Snow in the first book) and his journey from high school student to adult. The action takes place during the 10th Hunger Games when even the concept is still evolving and new, and the memories of the rebellion and war are fresh in everyone's minds. The novel takes us through Coriolanus' role as one of the first mentors for the tributes, and into the world beyond the Capitol. If you are a fan of the series it is definitely worth a read. It can even be read as a stand-alone from the series. Looking forward to the movie version of this one!

Some FANTASTIC books this time, These go on my "must read" recommended list:

73. Hide by Kiersten White

Fourteen strangers are invited to spend a week in an abandoned amusement park with one goal - remain hidden each day and if you don't get caught, you could win enough money to change your life. Sounds like the premise to a reality TV show, and maybe this is one in "tryout" mode? Or maybe this is something much more sinister? When contestants start to disappear, Mack (our protagonist) begins to wonder what really is going on, and how she can survive. What a wonderful novel. Compelling, page-turning, and captivating, this quick read is worth your time!

74. She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan

This is a beautiful novel which I cannot recommend strongly enough! Set in China in the 1300s, this historical fiction tells the story of a young girl whose father and brother are killed by bandits, but only after her brother's fortune has been told. He brother was to grow into a person who would change the world, and when he dies, she decides to claim his fortune and become the person he was meant to be. This story of Zhu Chongba is part Mulan and part Game of Thrones, but mostly is a marvelous story of love, hunger, war, politics, and becoming who you were meant to be. Full of LGBTQ themes, the two main characters - a young girl/woman pretending to be a man, and a general fighting for the Mongols who was castrated by them as a young boy - become opposing forces whose parallel journeys call to each other. A stunning book, and well worth the read.

75. Straight Man by Richard Russo

This novel tells the story of the chair of the English Department at a fictional college near Philadelphia. The story pokes fun at the world of academia, and showcases our protagonists mid-life crisis as it happens. Funny, entertaining, and satirical, the novel was a pleasant diversion, but honestly it pales in comparison to the two I've written about above. One reason to read it is that there will soon be a series on AMC based on the novel.

Fourteen strangers are invited to spend a week in an abandoned amusement park with one goal - remain hidden each day and if you don't get caught, you could win enough money to change your life. Sounds like the premise to a reality TV show, and maybe this is one in "tryout" mode? Or maybe this is something much more sinister? When contestants start to disappear, Mack (our protagonist) begins to wonder what really is going on, and how she can survive. What a wonderful novel. Compelling, page-turning, and captivating, this quick read is worth your time!

This is a beautiful novel which I cannot recommend strongly enough! Set in China in the 1300s, this historical fiction tells the story of a young girl whose father and brother are killed by bandits, but only after her brother's fortune has been told. He brother was to grow into a person who would change the world, and when he dies, she decides to claim his fortune and become the person he was meant to be. This story of Zhu Chongba is part Mulan and part Game of Thrones, but mostly is a marvelous story of love, hunger, war, politics, and becoming who you were meant to be. Full of LGBTQ themes, the two main characters - a young girl/woman pretending to be a man, and a general fighting for the Mongols who was castrated by them as a young boy - become opposing forces whose parallel journeys call to each other. A stunning book, and well worth the read.

This novel tells the story of the chair of the English Department at a fictional college near Philadelphia. The story pokes fun at the world of academia, and showcases our protagonists mid-life crisis as it happens. Funny, entertaining, and satirical, the novel was a pleasant diversion, but honestly it pales in comparison to the two I've written about above. One reason to read it is that there will soon be a series on AMC based on the novel.
She Who Became the Sun is an excellent book. I highly enjoyed it.

47/50
I took a break from the Irish Doctor by reading “Barking to the Choir” by Gregory Boyle.

”This book is guaranteed to shake up our ideas about God and about people with a glimpse at a world defined by more compassion and fewer barriers. Gently and humorously “Barking to the Choir“ invites us to find our kinship with one another and reconvinces us all of our own goodness.” From the cover. 5/5

Last edited:

Sounds like something I would like!

This story of Zhu Chongba is part Mulan and part Game of Thrones,
Lol, I have been re watching GOT lately & just by reading this title, my mind went straight to Daenerys & Drogo and all their "My sun & stars/Moon of my life"

#33/50 When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde
While duck hunting one morning, childless, middle-aged Nathan McCann finds a newborn abandoned in the woods. To his shock, the child—wrapped in a sweater and wearing a tiny knitted hat—is still alive. To his wife’s shock, Nathan wants to adopt the boy…but the child’s grandmother steps in. Nathan makes her promise, however, that one day she’ll bring the boy to meet him so he can reveal that he was the one who rescued him. Fifteen years later, the widowered Nathan discovers the child abandoned once again—this time at his doorstep. Named Nat, the teenager has grown into a sullen delinquent whose grandmother can no longer tolerate him. Nathan agrees to care for Nat, and the two engage in a battle of wills that pans years. Still, the older man repeatedly assures the youngster that, unlike the rest of the world, he will never abandon him—not even when Nat suffers a trauma that changes both of their lives forever

I enjoyed this one but would have liked a little more depth to the characters.

I'm interested in these, especially 73 & 74.

8/12 The Hotel Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand. This story is set in a renovated hotel, which is supposedly haunted by a former employee who was murdered 100 years earlier. The man who bought the hotel has never been to Nantucket, but who is trying to earn the elusive "Five Keys" rating from a superstar Instagram travel blogger. There are several interesting characters and back stories in this novel, though focusses on the General Manager. An easy, summer read.

31/40 Caramel Pecan Roll Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book ?? of the Hannah Swenson series. This is the most recent book and ended on a slight cliffhanger. Ughhhhhh.

Now I have to find a new series to invest in.

HOLY MOLEY, it's been months since I've updated my reading stats! AND I need to get caught up on what y'all have been reading lately!

31/45 - The Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis - LOVE this author, and I think this was my favorite of all her books I've read
32/45 - The Yoga Store Murder by Dan Morse - True crime of the Lululemon murder that happened years ago - riveting
33/45 - What Happened to the Bennetts by Lisa Scottoline - been so long I don't remember? I do like this author though....
34/45 - The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward - weird book alert! weird, weird weird.
35/45 - The Overnight Guest by Heather Gudenkauf - don't remember but I think I really liked this one
36/45 - The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn - love this author - I think I enjoyed Rose Code a bit more.
37/45 - Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak - really enjoyed - the drawings included with the book were key to the story
38/45 - The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue - blah. don't remember
39/45 - Hide by Kiersten White - another theme park horror book if you're into that sort of stuff :)
40/45 - The Silent Ones by KL Slater - favorite author - psychological thriller
41/45 - The Evidence by KL Slater - favorite author - psychological thriller
42/45 - Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson - weirdly different book (children that catch on fire!) but I LOVED this one!!
43/45 - The IT Girl by Ruth Ware - another great read
44/45 - It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover - what can I say... I'm really enjoying her books so far.

Agreed! I have been recommending this to everyone.
17/35 Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt

Tova, the night cleaner at the Sowell Bay Aquarium, befriends the remarkably intelligent resident octopus, Marcellus. The two form a bond which helps her through a tragedy that happened years before but she had never gotten over.

This was a completely enjoyable story with likable characters, with my favorite being Marcellus the octopus. Basically a story of friendship but also had a little mystery built in about Tova‘s past tragedy.

Probably my favorite book of the year so far.

This book has been on my "to read" list for a while now. I am bumping it to the top now!

Keeping on keeping on...

76. The Immortal Conquistador by Carrie Vaughn

So I've been reading the reviews of the Kitty Norville (the Werewolf) series as posted on this forum with great interest (thank you @Caseheidi), and wanted to read some of them myself. I went to my local library and this is the only one they carry (in paperback). I recognize that it is a standalone novel (and tells the story of what I guess is a side character in the series - Rick, the Vampire). I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this, even though I am not familiar with the series itself. I now will go back and find the kindle versions of the series and read them. Thanks for the recommendation!

77. Campusland by Scott Johnston

I work in higher education and this week we welcomed students back to campus. How I pray that they aren't like the students in this book. This parody / fictional novel tells the story of a privileged group of students at an elite college, and makes fun of them all. It certainly comes from a perspective I don't share politically, criticizing political correctness, and blaming colleges for much of what is wrong in today's culture wars. It was an interesting read, and I do like reading books from perspectives other than my own, but I did take some offense at some of it. Trigger warnings if you are easily offended, but read on if you want to read a very exaggerated version of liberalism.

78. Dawn at Mineral King Valley: The Sierra Club, the Disney Company, and the Rise of Environmental Law by Daniel P. Selmi

This non-fictional account of the Disney Ski Resort that wasn't takes us through the entire process of proposal, argument, suit, appeal, and Supreme Court case. For those who may not know, Disney had plans to build a large ski resort in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Mineral King Valley. This was all taking place at about the same time that Walt was seriously considering (and making plans for) the Florida Project. While the book is thorough and full of interesting details (it was written by a law professor), for me what was missing was the connection to Walt Disney World. I am sure that the Disney company's work in Florida had impact on their willingness to push hard for Mineral King, but the book was silent on this part. An interesting read for a serious Disney buff or scholar, but probably not worth it if you don't want to know the history.

48/50. An Irish Country Practice by Patrick Taylor….Can’t get enough of rural Irish life in late 1960’s!

20/30 - In Plain Sight by C. J. Box

Description:
"Spring has finally come to Saddlestring, Wyoming, and game warden Joe Pickett is relieved the long, harsh winter is over. However, a dark cloud threatens to spoil the milder weather. Local ranch owner and matriarch Opal Scarlett has vanished under suspicious circumstances. Two of her sons, Hank and Arlen, are battling for control of their mother's multi-million-dollar empire, and their bitter fight threatens to tear the whole town apart. Everyone is so caught up in the brothers' battle that they seem to have forgotten that Opal is still missing. Joe is convinced, though, that one of the brothers murdered their mother. Determined to uncover the truth, he is attacked and nearly beaten to death by Hank Scarlett's new right-hand man on the ranch - a recently arrived stranger who looks eerily familiar... A series of threatening messages and attempts to sabotage Joe's career follow. At first, he thinks the attacks are connected with his investigation of Opal's disappearance, but he soon learns that someone else is after him - someone with a very personal grudge who wants to make Joe pay... and pay dearly."

This is book #6 of the Joe Pickett series. I am continuing to really enjoy this series, and look forward to reading more books in the series!

#34/50 Normal People by Sally Rooney
At school Connell and Marianne pretend not to know each other. He’s popular and well-adjusted, star of the school soccer team while she is lonely, proud, and intensely private. But when Connell comes to pick his mother up from her housekeeping job at Marianne’s house, a strange and indelible connection grows between the two teenagers - one they are determined to conceal.
A year later, they’re both studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Marianne has found her feet in a new social world while Connell hangs at the sidelines, shy and uncertain. Throughout their years in college, Marianne and Connell circle one another, straying toward other people and possibilities but always magnetically, irresistibly drawn back together. Then, as she veers into self-destruction and he begins to search for meaning elsewhere, each must confront how far they are willing to go to save the other.
Another just ok one for me.

9. An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor. First in a series. Very enjoyable.
This post caused the start of my journey into the Irish Countyside! Have you read any others? I especially liked that you posted that it was first in a series.

#34/50 Normal People by Sally Rooney
At school Connell and Marianne pretend not to know each other. He’s popular and well-adjusted, star of the school soccer team while she is lonely, proud, and intensely private. But when Connell comes to pick his mother up from her housekeeping job at Marianne’s house, a strange and indelible connection grows between the two teenagers - one they are determined to conceal.
A year later, they’re both studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Marianne has found her feet in a new social world while Connell hangs at the sidelines, shy and uncertain. Throughout their years in college, Marianne and Connell circle one another, straying toward other people and possibilities but always magnetically, irresistibly drawn back together. Then, as she veers into self-destruction and he begins to search for meaning elsewhere, each must confront how far they are willing to go to save the other.
Another just ok one for me.
I haven’t read the book but I really enjoyed the tv series based on it.

Update time-I've read quite a few since last time.

#30-"Beautiful", Danielle Steel, 3 stars. Typical Danielle Steel. Kind of shallow, kind of predictable; but I enjoyed it.

#31-"The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop", Fannie Flag, 4 stars. I liked this.

#32-"They Went Left", Monica Hesse, 4 stars. An interesting story of what happens to the Jews from the concentration camps after the war.

#33-Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnie Grams, 4 stars. In some ways, I could really relate to the main character. She was a woman scientist in a world dominated by men in the same era that I was a woman engineer at a previously all-male college (first co-ed class), then the second woman engineer at a 3 thousand person company. So that made her story extremely relevant to me. It was hard for me to approach this book without bias-what would I have rated it?

#34-The Vatican Pimpernel, Brian Fleming, 2 stars. Why do I read non-fiction? Such a book usually reads like a textbook to me. But others may enjoy it-how a priest in the Vatican saved lives in WWII.

#35-"Meant to Be", Emily Giffin, 3 1/2 stars. Didn't live up to the hype for me, but not a bad read if you don't have high expectations.

#36-"The Boardwalk Bookshop", Susan Mallery, 2 stars. It really pains me to give a Susan Mallery book only 2 stars. But I just couldn't understand the views on romance at all of the main characters. Swore me off romance books.

#37-"The Scarlett Dress", Louise Douglas, 3 stars. Interesting mystery of what really happened to someone killed over 20 years ago. Told in split time between when it happened and now. I usually like the split style of writing, but this was rather jarring at times.

#38-"Sh*t my Dad Says", Justin Halpern. 4 stars. Light and really funny about comments from his 70+ yo father (the same age as DH, so maybe that's why it was so funny).

#39-"Girl in the Blue Coat", Monica Hesse, 3 1/2 stars. I didn't like this as much as her other book (#32), but it was still a good read. The disappearance of a hidden Jewish girl in WWII.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter