Reading challenge 2021

2/35 No Time Like The Future: An Optimist Considers Mortality by Michael J.
Fox

In his latest book he describes his latest health struggle. Not Parkinson’s but
rather a tumor on his spine that threatened to leave him permanently in a wheelchair. More than that, it threatened his usually optimistic view of the future.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was a quick read, but I find Fox to be very likable and down to earth. I enjoyed reading about his supportive family, his health struggles and all he has done and continues to do through his foundation for Parkinson’s research. I never read either of his previous books but I may now. I believe he narrates the audiobooks so I may go that route.

Wow I did not know that loved him on family ties

Can I still join? I usually read 50 books a year but last year I only read 30. I am looking to expand my reading horizons this year so I signed up for TBR: Tailored Book Recommendations where they send me recommendations for 3 books a quarter based on my interests. Hopefully I'll find some good ones here, too :)

Can I still join? I usually read 50 books a year but last year I only read 30. I am looking to expand my reading horizons this year so I signed up for TBR: Tailored Book Recommendations where they send me recommendations for 3 books a quarter based on my interests. Hopefully I'll find some good ones here, too :)

Welcome what is your goal

I used to read 20-50 books annually. Then iPhones came into existence and I only hit double digits 3 times from 2010 through 2019, and the highest total was 16. Last year I set a personal goal of 24 to try to change that. I read 29. I'm going to make 24 my goal again this year.

OMG you are going to love The Long Walk. I wish I could read it again for the first time. It’s my favourite piece by him and I would love to see it as a movie, but there’s no way to do it justice. I can’t wait to see your thoughts on it.

Just finished it!!! I did love it. Can't believe I never even heard of it before!!!! The characters and his writing were fantastic. One of my favorite lines he wrote from this book was "Clouds raced across the sky like crazed privateers across an ebony nightmare sea". Wow, a movie would be awesome but tough to pull off. I could see Andrew Garfield (Hacksaw Ridge) as Garraty.

On to the next one!!

MJ

I'm going to jump into the mix since I'm hoping to increase my reading this year. I'm going to set a goal of 50.

Book 1 of 12: From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back by various writers

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back, LucasFilm and Del Ray published a collection of 40 short stories from 40 authors. These are stories about side characters or missing moments from the movie.

5 out of 5 stars. I loved the first one of these, and this new one was just as good. I enjoyed seeing the perspective of different side characters during the course of The Empire Strikes Back. There was one or two stories I didn't care for, but they were mostly really good. There were also a few where it was obvious what the story was referring to (like The Emperor of San Francisco, or the suitcase from Pulp Fiction).

Currently Reading -- Star Wars: The Light of the Jedi, which was just released today and takes place in a totally new era of Star Wars.

2/100 The Split by Sharon Bolton

I was interested in this book because part of it was set on South Georgia Island, one of the most remote places in the world. The lead character is a glaciologist. Despite being a brilliant young scientist, she is terrified that someone who she is afraid of is coming to the island on the last tourist ship of the year. there’s a little bit of time jumped in the book, and it was a little predictable. The ending tied up some loose ends a little too neatly, but I did enjoy it. There are a number of passages in the book that describe how glaciers work and how we study them, and I liked those parts the best. 3.5/5

3/100 Ice Walker: A Polar Bear's Journey by James Raffen

This book takes the point of view of a female polar bear and follows her journey over a period of time as she faces a variety of situations. I thought this book was just amazing. Very atmospheric as it really helps you to understand what the climate is like. Her interactions with other animals are sometimes hilarious and sometimes heartbreaking. The challenges facing polar bears today aref almost all man made. Thankfully, this means that we can also do things to help remedy the situation that we have created not just for the polar bears but also for other animal species and the people of the Arctic. Outstanding book, highly recommended. 5/5

1/20 - The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead - This was good, but I did not like it as much as Underground Railroad, another book I have read by him.

In the 1960's a black boy is unfairly sentenced to a reformatory school called Nickel Academy. Nickel Academy is actually based off a real school, but the book is fiction. There is a twist at the end that I did not see coming!

1/50. The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Glad I read the sequel!

I forgot to join in last year but did read about 100 books.

I'll try for 75 this year and see where I go with that. I have already finished 2 so it's a start.

2/40 Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
My Goodreads rating 4 out of 5 stars

Booker prize winner and it deserved it. It was beautiful, but bleak. About a boy in 1980s Scotland who lives with his alcoholic mother. It can be triggering in some ways, so I felt the need to put that disclaimer.

1. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - V.E. Schwab
2. Unfollowing You - Komal Kapoor
3. B - Sarah Key
4. Poetic Remedies for Troubled Times: from Ask Baba Yaga - Taisia Kitaiskaia
5. Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration - Ed Catmull

I would love to read more this year! I’m good at starting but not finishing books. My goal is to finish at least 21 books in 2021.
Thanks for organizing this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter