READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks, but I hope when it’s really “go time” for you that you’re successful. This made me think though...I’m a Verizon customer (Fios and Wireless) and I have a 5G MiFi mobile hotspot that I’m going to bring with me. Next time I practice I’m gonna try it while my phone is connected to that and see how it goes.
I agree. Though you will be dependent on the signal strength at where you will be staying in Orlando, at least you will be able to simulate how it is working. I am preparing in a way where I don't rely on the hotel's wifi, unless I discover that it is really good and stable.

I agree. Though you will be dependent on the signal strength at where you will be staying in Orlando, at least you will be able to simulate how it is working.

I’ll be staying at Yacht Club for that half of the trip and my HS days aren’t right away, so I’ll check around the resort to see where I can get the best signal with it...I have 3 park days booked in HS just in case (figured I could just hop to Epcot whenever).

I’ll be staying at Yacht Club for that half of the trip and my HS days aren’t right away, so I’ll check around the resort to see where I can get the best signal with it...I have 3 park days booked in HS just in case (figured I could just hop to Epcot whenever).
I think you are all set based on this. I did plan the HS on my 4th day as well, but I only have one shot at it 🙃

My personal experience... I read this thread a couple of times before our trip, but hadn't gotten in any practice. Nor did DH.

Our HS morning we got up (staying off property in a rental house) and started watching time.gov at 6:55. We were on the house's wifi. When it was down to the last 5 second we switched back to the app, counted down to 1 and hit join. We got BG 11! DH would have gotten through fine too but I clicked faster than him, so he stopped when mine was successful.

We were slightly disappointed that our BG was called at 8:30 (on a 9am opening) so we missed out on that precious first hour of shorter lines. We got into the park at about 8:45 and stopped for some photo pass pictures on your way to ride. It was amazing and we were wishing all day we could go again!

Editing to add this was 2 days ago. Wednesday the 31st.

.I’m a Verizon customer (Fios and Wireless) and I have a 5G MiFi mobile hotspot that I’m going to bring with me.
Just a few words of caution. If you iPhone has a solid LTE signal there is no need to connect it to your MiFi as that will actually introduce latency (slow down your connection) when every millisecond counts trying to get a BG.

Dave

Just a few words of caution. If you iPhone has a solid LTE signal there is no need to connect it to your MiFi as that will actually introduce latency (slow down your connection) when every millisecond counts trying to get a BG.

Dave

I’ve got a 12 Pro, usually I don’t get noticeable lag on the MiFi at least with my laptop (I have used it to game before). Now I’m curious and want to do some speed tests with the phone.

My personal experience... I read this thread a couple of times before our trip, but hadn't gotten in any practice. Nor did DH.

Our HS morning we got up (staying off property in a rental house) and started watching time.gov at 6:55. We were on the house's wifi. When it was down to the last 5 second we switched back to the app, counted down to 1 and hit join. We got BG 11! DH would have gotten through fine too but I clicked faster than him, so he stopped when mine was successful.

We were slightly disappointed that our BG was called at 8:30 (on a 9am opening) so we missed out on that precious first hour of shorter lines. We got into the park at about 8:45 and stopped for some photo pass pictures on your way to ride. It was amazing and we were wishing all day we could go again!

That is frustrating that they call before park opening. Would like that they start your hour return time at park opening, so you have til 10, but it does help more people get on when they start churning as soon as possible.

Dave
If a Disney resort has 5G towers, I recently saw pictures of them being installed at Grand Floridan, would it be faster to use the hotels wifi and turn off LTE?

We got BG 11 today, 4/2, and we were called at 8:40. We hadn’t planned on getting to the park until a little later and ended up arriving an hour late at 10:40. I told the CM we were late, and he said, “No you aren’t,” and waved us into the queue. We’re about to enter the preshow now after 17 minutes.

That is frustrating that they call before park opening. Would like that they start your hour return time at park opening, so you have til 10, but it does help more people get on when they start churning as soon as possible.

Normally when they call before park opening, guests still have 1 hour from official park opening time as their return window so that they can still take advantage of Rope Drop.

Normally when they call before park opening, guests still have 1 hour from official park opening time as their return window so that they can still take advantage of Rope Drop.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if normal 1 hour return time worked the same way before park opening.

This might be true but the app definitely doesn't indicate that. Mine said we had to arrive before 9:30. Not saying they wouldn't have let us on later but it wasn't something we were willing to risk.

If a Disney resort has 5G towers, I recently saw pictures of them being installed at Grand Floridan, would it be faster to use the hotels wifi and turn off LTE?
It really varies as to your specific location. You should test Wi-Fi and Cellular and use the one that has the lowest latency. Note that is not the fastest download speed but latency is reported along with the download speed on speed tests.

Latest reports are that the resort 5G towers are not active yet but 5G coverage is available in the areas directly around Epcot.

The reason not to worry about download speed is that there is very little data transferred from the MDE servers when you are trying for a BG. The latency is the delay for the download or upload to actually happen.

For example you could see a download of 100 Mbps but a latency of 60 ms on Wi-Fi but have a download of 120 Mbps with a latency of 11 ms for a speedtest on your cellular connection.

Using the http://fast.com test you will want to click on the "Show more info" button to see the latency.

Dave

Only my friends and family with park tickets/reservation for DHS will show up when I try for a boarding group, right? I don’t need to remove those who aren’t on this trip right?

This might be true but the app definitely doesn't indicate that. Mine said we had to arrive before 9:30. Not saying they wouldn't have let us on later but it wasn't something we were willing to risk.

Yeah, this news kind of makes me a bit nervous for our first day. We're driving in from New Orleans and staying overnight in Lake City (about 2.5 hours from DHS). Our plan was to try and get a BG and then drive straight to DHS (or to our hotel "Pop" if we have time) and be at DHS in between 9 and 10 am. If we get a BG and they call us at 8:30 am, I just may have to go above the posted speed limit on that there Florida turnpike. :duck:

We do have DHS park reservation for 5 more days (DD is obsessed with Star Wars), so I'm sure we'll live if we miss the first BG (well,,, to my daughter it will be the end of the world for a day).

Sorry, no idea what is happening with your system as post 1 of this thread definitely contains a lot of information. Even when I click your link I see the post. You may wish to try a different device or a different search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter