• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add me to the list of those that never find the Join Boarding Group button to be red after hitting Find Out More but am always able to join a BG after hitting My Status. I am curious if the app will behave any differently in the park, but for now, I am assuming I will have to go the extra step of hitting my status first before I can join a BG. And yes, I have tried waiting anywhere from 3 -10 seconds after my clock hits 8:00:00 and it makes no difference. Have also confirmed my clock is within 1 second of the world clock time.

I'm on an iPhone 7 and my app is fully updated.
For people having this problem - are you hitting Find Out More at any point before 8am? The ROTR page caches, so if you hit it before 8am, the button will stay gray after 8am.

So, while I’m waiting for Indy to start, here are our details from this morning.

Left Boardwalk Villas at 0715 walked to the park. got to bag check at 0725. I did not go all the way to the right. I was wrong, those are the fastest lines. Got through bag check at 0735, then went all the way right and was through the tapstile at 0738 (no fingerprints). Moved through the crowd toward GE and had to stop in front of the DVC kiosk.Before I opened the app I checked for the time offset between my phone and Garmin watch(10ish seconds). Opened the App at 0755. At exactly 0800.01 I clicked on the AT-AT picture. The join party button was red selected it, chose my party, hit join.I saw the finding boarding party circle for waaaay longer than was comfortable. Then BG 12 popped up.High 5s all around.
I was using an iPhone 11 on data, wi-fi off. Good luck to all!
"I opened the app I checked for the time offset between my phone and Garmin watch(10ish seconds)."
How did you do this?

I have the same experience as @wisblue. I have never seen mine turn red until after I have been through the my status method successfully, and am trying a 2nd+ time to see if the switch to back up has happened. I am able to do it through my status every time, so my plan in the park is to attempt that immediately at 8.

I use an iPhone 8 that is fully updated, FWIW.
Add me to the list of those that never find the Join Boarding Group button to be red after hitting Find Out More but am always able to join a BG after hitting My Status. I am curious if the app will behave any differently in the park, but for now, I am assuming I will have to go the extra step of hitting my status first before I can join a BG. And yes, I have tried waiting anywhere from 3 -10 seconds after my clock hits 8:00:00 and it makes no difference. Have also confirmed my clock is within 1 second of the world clock time.

I have the completely opposite experience but i'm on a google pixel 3. I NEVER see the my status -> blue button lit up no mater how much i refresh or when. I always am successful opening the app at 7:59:55 and hitting the at-at at 8:00:02 and getting a red join button. Seems like apple and android have different behaviors on what works. That's why it's critical to practice. I don't worry about the my party screen, it's always about getting that join boarding group button lit up (in either screen). Also don't touch the find out more / at-at before 8:00:02 on a fresh load or you are going to have to restart the app 9 out of 10 times.

Second if find the my party missing people is helped if you open the app up a few minutes before and try to make a fast pass (up to the hold on you already have 3 screen). This seems to get the app/server to talk and get your part synced. Then i force close the app until 7:59:55 (it takes 5 seconds for my app to load).

Last edited:

"I opened the app I checked for the time offset between my phone and Garmin watch(10ish seconds)."
How did you do this?
your phones clock app will have seconds if you open it up. also recommend checking your phone against the time.gov website. mine is about 0.25 behind which is perfect for getting BG. Disney is synced to the time.gov as well.

My experience has been opposite, where I have found the Join Boarding Group button to turn red and the My Status> Join a Boarding Group doesn't turn blue (clickable) for me. DH says his button does light up blue and he is able to click that way. We both have the exact same phones G8.

I have the completely opposite experience but i'm on a google pixel 3. I NEVER see the my status -> blue button lit up no mater how much i refresh or when. I always am successful opening the app at 7:59:55 and hitting the at-at at 8:00:02 and getting a red join button. Seems like apple and android have different behaviors on what works. That's why it's critical to practice.
I have an iPhone and my experience matches yours.

Practice and find out what works is good advice.

For people having this problem - are you hitting Find Out More at any point before 8am? The ROTR page caches, so if you hit it before 8am, the button will stay gray after 8am.

That is not my problem. I have clicked exactly at 8 and anywhere from 2 to 3 to 5 to 10 to 15 seconds after and not gotten a red button. But if I click right at 8 and then hit My Status the button on the next page is active.

Last edited:

No, I do not. I totally close out of the app and then reopen it at 7:59. Don't touch anything until a few seconds after 8:00. Button is never red.
It's really curious to me as to why people have different experiences in this regard. I will say that ONCE in my 10-15 practice attempts the button WAS red. I cannot determine that I did anything different that time. Which makes it all the more a head scratcher for me...

No, definitely not. Opening the app up fresh after a hard close the day before. Have also tried opening the app earlier in the morning, hard close, and open up fresh before 8am. I have also waited until after 8 to even open up the app, but still have the same result.

I've posted it before, but for some of those new people, I'll add my experiences that's helped me get BG 2 and 5.

I have a Samsung S10+ with VZW. Basically starting at 7:59:30 I start opening the app hitting find out more (I do it then just in case if it opens slightly early). I hard close and repeat the process til it turns red. Got me those 2 low groups that way

I have been 2 other times and I tried it different ways, and I got BG 38 and 56.

your phones clock app will have seconds if you open it up. also recommend checking your phone against the time.gov website. mine is about 0.25 behind which is perfect for getting BG. Disney is synced to the time.gov as well.
Thanks!!

I've posted it before, but for some of those new people, I'll add my experiences that's helped me get BG 2 and 5.

I have a Samsung S10+ with VZW. Basically starting at 7:59:30 I start opening the app hitting find out more (I do it then just in case if it opens slightly early). I hard close and repeat the process til it turns red. Got me those 2 low groups that way

I have been 2 other times and I tried it different ways, and I got BG 38 and 56.
Were you on WiFi or VZW?

I have no reason to suspect they were "testing" an update. I think it far more likely that there were issues with communications between the park systems, perhaps the system that tells the BG system that people are scanned in wasn't responding, etc. - and the delays in starting boarding groups were probably for similar reasons.
That is a good guess. Either way, that is some bad coding.
I'm at the benches outside Legends of Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. 5 bars of service. Verizon data. It all comes down to this. It's go time!
Which of the VZW plan are you on? Thinking of upgrading to the next tier (Play More Unlimited) that gives up to 25GB of premium data prioritization. At least change my wife's plan for the month we are at the park. Do not think my Mint Mobile plan will cut it for the data there. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter