• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't believe this.

I wonder what the percentage of guests that are trying to get a boarding group and are NOT getting them is? I mean .. we are talking what? 10,000+ people in the park AT rope drop and some not getting in because they are gone within literal seconds?

I am NOT looking forward to trying this out and being "forced" to drive to the park (instead of taking Disney transportation . .especially since I purposely am paying more than I normally would by opting to stay at a Skyliner resort. Not being able to use the transportation (that should get you there in 5-10 minutes) and be on time to an early park opening sounds pretty frustrating.

Not my place to tell people how to think or feel, but in my opinion:

With the exception of a few days here and there where BGs filled at exceptionally fast rates (which absolutely is a problem if it happens on your day and could mean not getting a BG), getting a BG is generally not the main problem on most days. A concern for sure, but somewhere in the medium range on the list. Ride performance and them getting to your BG that day is the bigger problem in one possibly not riding on that day.

Thousands of people every day are taking bus transportation without issue. An occasional bad bus experience happens - just like it can happen on any day to any park at rope drop. Allowing enough time and having a backup plan if possible (which admittedly isn't always possible for some) can be helpful - which would be my advice for any park's rope drop.

Just my opinion.

My practice session this morning was a little different because today I decided to wait 10 seconds to hit Find Out More to see if I would get the red boarding group button (a 5 second wait didn’t work a few days ago). Even with the 10 second wait, the red button wasn’t active so I went through My Status and entered the boarding group names. Imagine my surprise to see R2 handing me BG 70, which I immediately cancelled.

Two lessons:

1. I might try a few more times before our trip in 3 weeks, but I’m sticking with hitting Find Out More at exactly 8:00:00 and assuming I will have to hit My Status to get an active BG button.

2. I was encouraged that I was able to get a BG as low as 70 even with the 10 second delay. I would have expected worse.

I think I will just be spectating tomorrow if I’m around.

This morning, people who practiced from home and were successful were given REAL boarding groups! It was a glitch and will hopefully never happen again.

I hope I don’t get slammed too badly for this- but what’s up with the practice anyway? I mean, I get it- see the screen once or twice, or learn about how to do it. But I’ve done it in the park without practice, along with thousands of others, and it’s pretty simple and it doesn’t take much to figure it out.

Is it possible that some of the glitches are from thousands in the parks as well as many from home all trying for a boarding group that can slow their servers on MDE?

I hope I don’t get slammed too badly for this- but what’s up with the practice anyway? I mean, I get it- see the screen once or twice, or learn about how to do it. But I’ve done it in the park without practice, along with thousands of others, and it’s pretty simple and it doesn’t take much to figure it out.

Is it possible that some of the glitches are from thousands in the parks as well as many from home all trying for a boarding group that can slow their servers on MDE?

This has been discussed frequently, and I mean no disrespect by telling you that. Suffice to say, some are concerned about how the people practicing are affecting the app in the morning and others do not believe there are enough people practicing that it makes any kind of measurable impact. Disney's app is designed to allow it, so no one is breaking any rules by doing so.

Was able to ride it for our second time today. Left our room at POP at 7:03 am, drove our car to the HS parking lot. Just FYI, Skyliner was running but couldn't tell if it had passengers. What a difference 15 minutes makes! Last time we left our room around 7:18 and ran straight into HS parking toll booth traffic from hell and then we had to park further away from entrance and we were literally running to beat the clock. This morning was a breeze. We were parked and got past security and tapped into HS at 7:28. Actually was at turnstiles line at 7:15 and no one moved until 7:20. Decided not to rope drop MFSR because it seems a bit crazy with massive amounts of people waiting to get into the Land. Got in line for Starbucks, had 5 bar signal on data network in Starbucks. Thanks to everyone here with excellent advice, we knew exactly how to do the BG motions. Out of Starbucks by 7:50 and waiting for park opening time in front of Frozen Sing along. Didn't hear any screams before 8:00. Right at 8:00, I counted to 3 then hit the Find out More button, the Join group was red, clicked members, then join and boom BG 39. At about that time we heard lots of screams. The ride was delayed early but began moving around 9 am and we were called around 11 am. Trying it again tomorrow morning.

This has been discussed frequently, and I mean no disrespect by telling you that. Suffice to say, some are concerned about how the people practicing are affecting the app in the morning and others do not believe there are enough people practicing that it makes any kind of measurable impact. Disney's app is designed to allow it, so no one is breaking any rules by doing so.

And I meant no disrespect by asking the question at all. I’m honestly wondering about the practicing. And Disney’s app may allow it, but I think we’ve also discussed the app and its failings frequently (like when my FPs just disappeared, but thank goodness were on the site version when I went to FOP!). I’m honestly wondering what practicing clicking on those things helps with. I’m guessing that many of us (like me!) are planners and that’s why, but since I never practiced before attempting this back in early January and had no issues at all except for my phone being slower than the girl standing next to me by about 5 seconds, and it’s not hard at all. It’s so much easier than booking a FP, for example.

And I meant no disrespect by asking the question at all. I’m honestly wondering about the practicing. And Disney’s app may allow it, but I think we’ve also discussed the app and its failings frequently (like when my FPs just disappeared, but thank goodness were on the site version when I went to FOP!). I’m honestly wondering what practicing clicking on those things helps with. I’m guessing that many of us (like me!) are planners and that’s why, but since I never practiced before attempting this back in early January and had no issues at all except for my phone being slower than the girl standing next to me by about 5 seconds, and it’s not hard at all. It’s so much easier than booking a FP, for example.
Curiosity, research, calming their own anxiety, teaching their family members, tracking various methods to determine which one might work best, etc, etc, etc...

I think on some level each new day brings a new crop of folks whose trips are getting closer and they're just curious to play around with it for a few days to see how the app reacts - a constantly refreshing supply of first timers. Those with large groups or large networks of people in the friends/family may also be trying to figure out the best way to select/deselect everyone. You're right it's super-intuitive and easy, I suspect for some it's just more fear of the unknown.

Although I myself was surprised to see just how many people here clicked all the way through to the end today. I check every day just for timing purposes, but never go that far.

As someone who isn't going till December, to read the boards, it sounds like you have mere seconds to get in and get a group to have any chance to ride. If I only have one chance to ride, and only have a few second window, you can bet I'm going to be practicing it regularly leading up to the trip.

Last edited:
It’s not - but - that’s because we’ve already figured out the traps. Don’t hit find out more too early. Kill the app fast if you have to. Have a second party trying in case of glitches. In my case the first tip is the most important one because in testing, if I hit find out more too early, I am ALWAYS toast.

When I was watching videos on tips and tricks on how to have a better shot at securing a boarding group, I was being told that it is best if you are remaining on the “Boarding Status” screen before the park opens and keep scrolling the screen down every so often to refresh the page around 2 minutes before the park opening time. That way, when Disney launches the BG system for the day, the “Join a Boarding Group” button will become non-greyed out and you can click it right away without fiddling around with the previous pages, wasting precious seconds of time. Am I wrong in my understanding on this or not?

When I was watching videos on tips and tricks on how to have a better shot at securing a boarding group, I was being told that it’s best if you remaining on the “Boarding Status” screen before the park opens and keep scrolling the screen down every so often about 2 minutes before the park opens. That way, when Disney launches the BG system for the day, the “Join a Boarding Group” button will become non-greyed out and you can click it right away without fiddling around with the previous pages, wasting precious seconds of time. Am I wrong in my understanding on this or not?

View attachment 476980
Some people never get the option to join a boarding group by using that method.

Practicing taught me that my phone never goes red with any sort of quickness and I’m going to have to go through my status. Glad I figured that out before being in the park for sure! I don’t practice daily, but also think if the practicing people are actually bogging down the system we’ve got bigger problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter