• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to post something here, not that the people who need to see this will see this. (I'm looking at you, family of 5 I witnessed on Thursday.)

I really really hope no one considers this a spoiler. Mods, delete or edit if needed, with my apologies.

If you are a party of more than 4, decide in advance who wants to sit together and, whatever happens, stick with the party members with whom you eventually want to be seated.

Thank you.

So what happens if you have a big party with you...like 12 people? Should we break off into smaller groups? Does it make getting a earlier boarding group harder. I know some of this is probably unknown but just wanted to see some opinions.
Have everyone with a phone try for all 12. If not everyone shows up on the list, select those that do and finish booking the bg. If the app says some people you selected, who did tap in to the park, are not in the park, deselect them and finish booking the bg. Once one person is successful others will get an error message. If there was a problem and only some of the group got a bg at first, have everyone continue trying to get a bg for the remaining people. Once everyone has one, or after several
minutes you still can’t book for the remaining members, find a guest experience cast member, explain what happened, and ask them to change the bg so that everyone is in the same group. The lines for GET cm will be long at the entrance; there’s more on Sunset, in TSL, and I think also on Grand Avenue

I cannot believe folks are waiting 2 hours in line after getting a BG...

That’s not the norm. Usually it’s anywhere from walk on to 30mn before reaching the (spoiler edit)When it breaks down and at the end of the night are exceptions.

I might be mistaken but regarding the chart shouldn’t the days since 2/4 be 12 hours long instead of 13. I was there the 4th and the park was 8am-8pm

It's Saturday morning, you get a pass!

Thank you. Although, with my pixie dust powers of deletion I can go back and make all my my math flubs disappear and make me look smart from the beginning. pixiedust:

Lol...just kidding. ;)

In other news, up to BG 42 at 11:12AM, so seemingly making OK progress today. (edit to add, appears I jinxed it)

Last edited:
I disagree.

Tech failures on Disney’s end is not something someone did wrong and they are no less deserving of an attempt to ride than someone who just got luckier. And I highly doubt the small amount of people who actually do this are having a measurable impact on the number of BG given out or number of people riding.

What is making it hard for people is, drumroll please..... reliability. I’m team do what you can do to get your group on the ride (within reason and politely of course), no guilt. I don’t think the advice is any worse than sharing what to do to have the best chance at snagging a group in the first place.
I get what you’re saying, for the most part. Yes, if App or ride glitches prevent them from riding, they should definitely talk to a CM, but if it’s just dumb luck that gave them back up passes in the first place, I gotta say, that’s how it goes. ride reliability definitely needs a kick in the pants. It’s crazy that it’s still this bad.

I really want to post something here, not that the people who need to see this will see this. (I'm looking at you, family of 5 I witnessed on Thursday.)

I really really hope no one considers this a spoiler. Mods, delete or edit if needed, with my apologies.

If you are a party of more than 4, decide in advance who wants to sit together and, whatever happens, stick with the party members with whom you eventually want to be seated.

Thank you.
I could imagine some people have no idea what the ride vehicle looks like. Unless there’s one you see heading into the ride? I’ve seen pictures of it, so know what it’s like, but I haven’t shown anything to my group, although we’re only 3 total, so not an issue. Therefore, people probably aren’t aware they can only fit 4 in a row and only 2 rows, right? However, should be no different than any other ride, as most slow dark rides only fit 3-4 in a ride vehicle and other rides is only 2-3 people together. But also, CMs at the other rides are usually directing people to their seat or how to pair up, etc and this happens when the previous ride is still going, so maybe RotR CMs can improve on this aspect as well.

I could imagine some people have no idea what the ride vehicle looks like. Unless there’s one you see heading into the ride? I’ve seen pictures of it, so know what it’s like, but I haven’t shown anything to my group, although we’re only 3 total, so not an issue. Therefore, people probably aren’t aware they can only fit 4 in a row and only 2 rows, right? However, should be no different than any other ride, as most slow dark rides only fit 3-4 in a ride vehicle and other rides is only 2-3 people together. But also, CMs at the other rides are usually directing people to their seat or how to pair up, etc and this happens when the previous ride is still going, so maybe RotR CMs can improve on this aspect as well.
As a former field trip leading elementary teacher, I now have an overwhelming desire to yell, "Find your buddy! Link up and stay together, people!"

Would you please point me to “the steps outlined here” that you feel helped you get in low groups in January? We will be there for late Spring Break, April Fools Day no less! So I have been following this thread for about the last 90 - 100 of the few hundred pages, and read the first page of FAQ posts. When they began talking about one hour return windows....

I have tested from home getting BGs right at open. Seems like it would work 80% of the time to get something if we were actually in the park and not at home eating breakfast! My son has done so too and we have seen the change to Backups happen by 7:01-7:02our time. We have also had the glitches with not all of our party showing up in our F&F list this week and the app stop working for long periods as well. We plan to have all four of us trying from my MDE based on what I have learned so far. Two iphone 6S, a 7 and my sons X will be working hard for us.

Just want to know where on the thread to find the steps outlined for success that you are referring to. Obviously there is still quite a bit of luck involved in what one gets when all are trying at once, but Im looking for clarification on the process to which you are referring. Thank you!
I should clarify that I was referring to steps in the accounts by various posters of how they got their BGs. Not everyone does exactly the same thing at VQ opening, of course, but the overall pattern is pretty consistent. This is how I did it, keeping in mind that the notorious app "update" hadn't happened yet and as a solo I did not have to do any F&F stuff:

(1) It is essential to be in the park before the official opening time. I always found no-bag security to be 1 or 2 minutes at most. No experience with 'regular' security.

(2) If that green construction wall is still there, head all the way over and line up against it. When people start moving, there will be a branching off to the right beyond that wall and several additional tapstiles will be available. If the wall isn't there, try to enter a far-right side tapstile queue anyway; it should be a little faster.

(3) When I got in, I headed for a bench on Sunset Blvd close to where CMs were holding guests who wanted to rope-drop RnRC and ToT. It was maybe 6:25 a.m. when I reached the bench, with official opening time of 7:00 a.m. At this point, I did some practice with the app, opening it, backing out, closing it, to get some idea of how it would behave on my (really slow) Tracfone with Android 7. Connection strength displayed with full bars on Sunset, which is why I liked to stay there. I think the Tracfone was using Verizon but can't swear to that. I did NOT use wifi, as I have a bad attitude towards Disney wifi.

(4) Around 6:50 a.m., I opened time.gov in my Chrome mobile browser. It displays the U.S. government official time including seconds. The Unofficial Guide mentioned a few years ago that Disney time seems to be within about a second of U.S. official time.

(5) At 6:55 I opened MDE and scrolled down to the "Find Out More" button. I then followed the time on Chrome until 6:59:50, went back to MDE, counted off a few seconds in my head and clicked Find Out More and the rest of it, which I think was selecting my "party" (i.e., me) and then Join Boarding Group. Three times out of four, I got a BG no higher than the 40s. The fourth time, I blew it when the BGs seemed to open a minute early and I got 87. Even on that day, however, I got to ride. I knew something was wrong when the 'whoop parade' started up around me and I had no BG yet.

Once again, my experience pre-dates the troublesome app update so that is probably best addressed by having as many phones as possible trying for your group. For me, the keys were getting into the park on time, finding a spot with good connectivity, and being ready to tap the instant BGs opened up. It all seems absurdly intricate, but I will say that RotR is so boss that it was worth it every time I had to get up at 5:00 a.m.

Congratulations Guys! Enjoy your experience!
May I ask - where were you each standing in the park? Im wondering where the best/fastest service spots are located since it sounds like cellular is the better way to go - Im assuming you each had wifi off, correct? Thanks!
I was about 150 feet past voyage of the little mermaid in line for TSL

Hi all. I can't seem to find where it was. Was there a post several dozen pages back where somebody mapped where they stage for RD? Trying to visualize while watching a walk through video. Trying to picture where they stop on Sunset and how far deep that particular area goes. We don't THINK we will RD for our single day, but we *might* RD ToT even though we have a FP for later. But want to visualize where the benches are for clear signal, and how far away we would be from the GET umbrella if we need it. MDE seems to indicate that GET is located at the end of the BLVD, but I assume that they would hold off the RD crowd well before there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

We rope dropped RNR last week. The “rope” was past the bathrooms just after the shops on the right. We hung out around Anaheim produce where you can sit at the tables in the back.
Note: you are not supposed to rope drop along the sidewalks, but people will.

Once again, my experience pre-dates the troublesome app update so that is probably best addressed by having as many phones as possible trying for your group. For me, the keys were getting into the park on time, finding a spot with good connectivity, and being ready to tap the instant BGs opened up. It all seems absurdly intricate, but I will say that RotR is so boss that it was worth it every time I had to get up at 5:00 a.m.

Thank you for this detail and clarification! I wasn’t sure what you were referring to and this super comprehensive outline covers it all! Many thanks :Pinkbounc:chewy::chewy::Pinkbounc We have great guidance for our two planned days of trying for BGs!

My experience this morning:

Left our room at Riveria around 6:45am. Bus pulled up shortly before 7:00am, I believe it was the first of the day. No lines at security once we arrived, and tapstyles were open and moved quickly. We were in the park before 7:20, but I didn't check exact times.

Lined up for RD at TSL. Had myself and two others logged in to my account. One was refreshing by pulling down in the "My Status" screen and one was going back and forth between the home page and "Find Out More." I shut down the app and pulled it back up right before 8:00am, and as soon as my clock hit 8 I took one deep breath and clicked the button and I ended up getting everyone in Group 15 (and seeing as how they started at 13 today, I was crazy proud of myself!) The person refreshing by pulling down in the status screen never got the Join button to activate, but the person going back and forth from the home page was just slightly behind me.

From what I was told, they started at 13 today because they knew the ride opening would be delayed... Not sure if that is completely accurate or not. We were called around 8:45am and had a 2 hour return window.

And because I know it has been asked: In a weird set of circumstances, last week we had graciously been given a set of FP for Rise for today. I knew we'd want to ride more than once so we got up early to grab a boarding group as well. Everything worked perfectly -- we rode with our BG around 9:00am, and again with our FP around 10:00am.

Here now. We were at HS at 7:45. Best BG we could get was 89. Oddly enough my wife also got BG 89. We were trying separately. Received a notification about a half hour ago that the would not get to us today eventhough they are at BG 61 at 5:28. This is the 3rd day we have tried and we have always gotten backup groups and have not ridden yet. We both have the most current Samsung high end phones. Speed does not seem to be an issue. At 8am we hear people all around us cheering and I am still waiting for the option to join a group to become available.
So sorry to hear how hard yall are trying! Next time instead of hitting join boarding group, hit My Status. It will open up another join boarding group button. That's what we did and got 18. Also, we opened the app about 2 minutes before 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter