READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is someone still keeping a chart of how long it takes regular BG and backup BG to run out each day? I've lost my link to it. I haven't checked in quite a while but thought I'd see how the new 8am openings were working. I'm hoping less than a minutes to backups isn't the new normal. But I also see many people on here getting single digit BGs which is encouraging. I have people visiting and really don't want to screw it up for them. I've been on plenty of myself but suddenly now I feel all the pressure most you felt on your vacations I'm sure.
The regular bg close 1 minute after park opening. Backups still depend on demand. If you read a couple of pages back you can see the chart posted almost every night, also post 2 had the chart

Post trip report: We were able to get on RotR twice during our trip last week. We went on Jan 29th and 30th. We have Sprint and we always turned WiFi off.

Jan 29th:
Our friends picked us up in their car and we drove to HS. After getting thru the toll gates, we had to get to the left lanes pretty quickly as the right-hand lanes were REALLY backed up. These were the lanes for the ride-share drop-offs. I was surprised at how backed up those lines were.
We got tapped into the park with about 10 minutes to spare before the 7am open. We were standing at the front of the park, not far from the "Mickey Crossroads" building We had 3 people trying on different accounts. One of our people got us BG 5. We were so excited! Once the called our group, it only took 30 minutes to get through the ride.
This is the day that we had to wait a few minutes for a couple of ECV's to navigate their way through a tricky part of the queue.
My impression of the ride on this day was "it's ok".

Jan 30th:
We walked over from the Boardwalk. We tapped into the park with about 15 minutes to spare before the 7am open. We headed to the Chinese Theater area to wait. We were off to the side a bit towards Toy Story land. Not many other people waiting there (but lots of people walking through to get to TSL). We only had 2 people trying today and we once again got BG 5. The people next to us were having issues, so I helped them. It took less than 30 seconds to help them, but by the time they finally got through, they got BG 86.
Once our group was called, it only took us 23 minutes to get through the ride. No ECV delays today! My impression of the ride my second time through was much more positive. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoyed it much more the second time through it.

Looking forward to our May trip when we can try this all again! :)

The backup pop up doesn’t always appear. At first I assumed there were regular groups still available, because I didn’t get the pop up. But then I figured out I didn’t notice that the wording subtly changed to “backup groups.”
I've been practicing often (LOL, for our September trip!! :rotfl2: ) and in the past have always had the box pop up letting me know I would be getting a backup boarding group. Today that box didn't ever appear even though I tried to get a bp 3 times between 8:10 and 8:17. It wasn't until I checked this thread that I saw they'd moved to backup BGs by 8:01 if not even a few seconds before 8:01!

Was there on Saturday 2/1. We left our Treehouse Villa at 5:30 and drove over. Not much traffic, parked close enough to walk to security. No wait there, we were with the crowds waiting to tap in at 5:57 a.m.

It was raining and pretty chilly, with most people trying to stay under the roof areas in front of the gates. That may have had something to do with it, but they started admitting guests around 6:20 a.m. The crowds split in two -- either heading to Toy Story Land or Galaxy's Edge. We found a table outside Dinosaur Gertie's Ice Cream of Extinction and huddled under an umbrella.

We had four phones running MDE: a Pixel 2 on Verizon, an iPhone 8 on Verizon, an iPhone 8 on WiFi, and an iPhone 6 on AT&T. We all started refreshing at 6:59 a.m. Some joker yelled out "Group One!" before 7:00 a.m. and set the crowd aflutter 😂

The two iPhone 8's, one on Disney WiFi and one on Verizon, both came up before the others. We got boarding group 50, according to my phone it was 7:02 by the time we were confirmed.

Our group got called at 10:30, we had lunch reservations at 50's Prime Time Cafe at 11:25 a.m. I asked a CM at the ride entrance and she told me to go have lunch, that we had two hours. The family huddled and finally my wife said: "What would you rather take a chance on -- Rise of the Resistance or lunch?' We chose to ride.

It was 11:25 when we got off, and we headed straight for 50's Prime Time. Got there about 11:35 and were seated right away. Thanks to the DIS community for preparing us for a successful visit!! :woohoo:

We were there 1/28. Just to update how our conflicting reservations went:
We were BG 99
Oga ADR 1:55pm
Droid appt 3:30pm
Savi's appt 5:00pm

Since it was getting close, in the 80s, we went to the Droid Depot and Savi's before we did our Oga ADR. Droid guy told us he couldn't take us early, but to not worry and if we showed up later, they would fit us in, and as long as it was before the end of the day we wouldn't get charged for missing our reservation. Savi's told us if we missed our reservation we would get charged and they could NOT fit us in later. They told us since they are limited on spots to prioritize this reservation. Of course our BG group gets called around 3:45pm while building droids. We reported and were told the wait was about an hour for RotR so they advised my Dh wait until after his Savi's reservation to get in line.

Late to chime in, but there was a short downtime on Wednesday (1/29). I was in Boarding Group 100, got the text at 3:20 pm. I got into the queue around 4:30 pm and didn't board until somewhere around 5:30 pm. They were handing out bottles of water and snacks (bananas, chips, cookies) and Chewie was walking the queue to take photos with guests during the downtime.

We were there 1/28. Just to update how our conflicting reservations went:
We were BG 99
Oga ADR 1:55pm
Droid appt 3:30pm
Savi's appt 5:00pm

Since it was getting close, in the 80s, we went to the Droid Depot and Savi's before we did our Oga ADR. Droid guy told us he couldn't take us early, but to not worry and if we showed up later, they would fit us in, and as long as it was before the end of the day we wouldn't get charged for missing our reservation. Savi's told us if we missed our reservation we would get charged and they could NOT fit us in later. They told us since they are limited on spots to prioritize this reservation. Of course our BG group gets called around 3:45pm while building droids. We reported and were told the wait was about an hour for RotR so they advised my Dh wait until after his Savi's reservation to get in line.

This is great feedback/info. Definitely think it is worth it to talk to the CMs at the various locations and/or the GET CMs with any conflict concerns and see what they can do. Does seem pretty consistent that Savi's is the one that is hardest to move and other things should be adjusted to fit around that reservation if possible

So my trip was not without issues (Action packed with issues) but I have to thank you all again for all this info and give you my post-trip report!.

On 1/29 we stumbled out of bed late. Late late. Took the skyliner to the park and at what I think was maybe 7:38 (I'm giving my best estimates) we got backup boarding group 112. Well, we watched the groups, went on to our Magic Kingdom plans. I checked after the parade and they were at about 105, we had a dessert party at 6:30 so what did we do? We chanced it, ran preemptively for the buses and watched the number tick up while we rode. Sure enough we were called! Ran to the back of the park, got in the queue allll the way to nearly loading and.. ride must have gone down because they sent out water and cookies and bananas and the wookie who posed for a selfie with us. I was watching the clock creep past five when it started running again! Hubs and I rode it then RAN for the buses and stepped foot into tomorrowland about 5 minutes late for our dessert party. Spoiler free: Cast members seemed a little tuckered out by whatever made the ride go down.

on 1/30 which was our Hollywood Studios day we got out to the buses by about 6:25 and just barely managed to squeeze onto the first bus to show up with a lot of people behind us. We got tapped into the park with four minutes to spare so I headed right to the first gap I could see and pressed to the wall. Hubs and I have old Samsung phones. He was on data, I stayed on wifi. He got through first planting us both in 48! I'll be honest I forgot what time we were called because we were really feeling tuckered out by the early wakeup but ride went without a hitch this time! Spoiler free: This day the cast members were into it! I loved them! Made everything seem better!

App woes...can’t even get to main screen let alone “find out more.” So I updated and now the app is very unreliable. Sometimes it won’t open at all, just crashes at the purple castle screen. Sometimes it opens and has no option for “my plans” which makes me think it’s not fully connecting to my account. This is not a “sign in” issue because it DOES have my hotel and ticket info..,just no “plans.” Also, it seems most likely to crash if I’ve just closed the app down and tried to restart within a short amount of time. If I leave it alone for 30 minutes or so, it works again. I’m wondering if version 5.8 is problematic on older phones (IPhone 7)...? Maybe the folks with crashing issues are in the same boat?? Headed to GE in 3 weeks and hoping to have it worked out by then.

For folks who leave it open, do your people “show up” in the “select your party” page or have you had to restart?

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone maintaining this thread! I am still trying to understand the process for ROTR, and I especially find "The Chart" to be helpful.

I have a question, though. I understand that to join a BG, everyone in my party needs to be in the park and attempting to book a spot through the app. So how is it possible to run a pre-trip test? I'm *nowhere near* Disney...my home is basically in the opposite corner of North America. Would I still see the proper steps if I logged in? Or is my best bet watching a video of someone explaining the process?

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks to everyone maintaining this thread! I am still trying to understand the process for ROTR, and I especially find "The Chart" to be helpful.

I have a question, though. I understand that to join a BG, everyone in my party needs to be in the park and attempting to book a spot through the app. So how is it possible to run a pre-trip test? I'm *nowhere near* Disney...my home is basically in the opposite corner of North America. Would I still see the proper steps if I logged in? Or is my best bet watching a video of someone explaining the process?

Thanks in advance :)
You are still able to open the app and go through the steps but when you get to the last step it says you are not in the park. You will need to practice at 8am ET when Bg’s are still available

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter