READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh @ EasyWDW did a big writeup on his rope drop experience recently. BGs for RotR and specifically this new opening procedure (holding people until official open) has certainly had a huge affect on RD crowds. MF:SR and SDD are really the 2 that are majorly affected. It seems that most of the other rides still remain chill for a little bit.

I think this is a hard question to answer though because most of our data right now surrounds the grand opening of RotR headed directly into Christmas crowd levels. When is your trip? Perhaps there will be more time to gather some relevant data here soon!

It sounds like I'm sitting over here trying to figure out the same stuff you are!
We'll be there on the 13th. It looks like they skipped over our day for earlier opening. I know that means they expect lower crowds, but I have the feeling that later start time is going to attract more crowds. The more I think about it, the more I think we'll make do with just our one FP ride on SDD and head for Sunset Boulevard.

Josh @ EasyWDW did a big writeup on his rope drop experience recently. BGs for RotR and specifically this new opening procedure (holding people until official open) has certainly had a huge affect on RD crowds. MF:SR and SDD are really the 2 that are majorly affected. It seems that most of the other rides still remain chill for a little bit.

I think this is a hard question to answer though because most of our data right now surrounds the grand opening of RotR headed directly into Christmas crowd levels. When is your trip? Perhaps there will be more time to gather some relevant data here soon!

It sounds like I'm sitting over here trying to figure out the same stuff you are!
We'll be at US/IOA Saturday and Sunday and WDW starting next Monday through Saturday. BTW I think I'm just south of you- I recognize the South Fayette info- especially the records you post at the bottom. We're from Laurel Highlands and wish we had that much to brag about lol.

I am correct to understand that the entrance through Toy Story Land does not open at 7:00 am?
That has been the case...not sure there’s a specific time when they allow it. Mainly they’re trying to thin out the crowds so that those doing RD go in 3 directions - Galaxy’s Edge (for MFSR), TSL (for SDD), and Sunset Blvd (for TOT/RRC). Don’t want Galaxy’s Edge people heading in the same direction as the TSL people.

We'll be at US/IOA Saturday and Sunday and WDW starting next Monday through Saturday. BTW I think I'm just south of you- I recognize the South Fayette info- especially the records you post at the bottom. We're from Laurel Highlands and wish we had that much to brag about lol.
Hey Cool! Yeah, I know the school - you guys are in TJ's conference (ugh!) LOL!!

So you drive or get a ride to the park, drive or get a ride back to your room, and then come back to the parks later?
Drive to park. ..go out for bfast. ...back to pool side till after lunch. Guess I’m used to a lot of morning commuting so this seems like nothing.

We'll be there on the 13th. It looks like they skipped over our day for earlier opening. I know that means they expect lower crowds, but I have the feeling that later start time is going to attract more crowds. The more I think about it, the more I think we'll make do with just our one FP ride on SDD and head for Sunset Boulevard.
I sort of tried to figure out what the time changes were all about today... If you look at it, they did Fri-Sun on MLK weekend and the weekend after. They avoided extending hours on Marathon Weekend (maybe due to the race) and didn't touch any Mon-Thurs. I think your concern is valid, a later open time will merely allow more people to get there for rope drop... We're going to the park on Sun/Tues so I'll be very interested to see the difference between 7am and 8am opens.

Has there been any consideration given to where people who had better results for BGs (i.e., their apps worked right away and they got non-backup BGs) were standing? Or is this question creating a situation where everyone who reads this thread would end up standing in Spot X, thereby negating its possible effectiveness?

I'm asking this question in all seriousness.

This is a good question, but not in my experience of a single day. We were there on 12/22, and there were groups within a 5-10 foot range of us that received boarding groups of 5 (ahead of us and to our left) and 7 (directly behind us), while we received group 57 (or something like that) within the space of around 30-45 seconds. I'm not sure what was up with that *at all*. We saw the group 5 family in the preshow area of MFSR, and chatted with them, and they had the same type of phone (iPhone) and carrier as we did.

NOTE: DHS Park Hours Adjusted for more days in January and EMHs in February changed from morning to evening

• January 17-20: Park hours extended from 8am opening to 7am opening
  • January 24-26: Park hours extended from 8am opening to 7am opening
Going on the 23rd. So even though I knew I was going to be checking this board every day until then, now I really will have to lol As that will only be very few days of an 8am time to see what the emerging pattern (if any) will be with the slightly "later" start time. Later is in quotes as they moved it up from 9am lol. And who knows it could (and probably will) change again before my trip lol

Going on the 23rd. So even though I knew I was going to be checking this board every day until then, now I really will have to lol As that will only be very few days of an 8am time to see what the emerging pattern (if any) will be with the slightly "later" start time. Later is in quotes as they moved it up from 9am lol. And who knows it could (and probably will) change again before my trip lol
The 8am opens have to be a cost saving maneuver, right? They must be trying to weigh what days they'll be able to fit the entire Rope Drop crowd in the "holding bin" without having to release them prior to 8am.

Drive to park. ..go out for bfast. ...back to pool side till after lunch. Guess I’m used to a lot of morning commuting so this seems like nothing.

I guess that’s where the personal preference comes in. People who don’t want to do a lot of driving around, or don’t have a car with them at all, might not want to spend that much time on transportation if the alternative is spending 15-20 minutes more inside DHS to find out what BG they get.

This is especially true for people on shorter trips who don’t have the ability or desire to spend several days at one park.

Last edited:
I’m 2 for 2,tapping in leaving right away and getting the bg I want. I’d rather be competing for cellular bandwidth or WiFi bandwidth away from a large mass of people trying to accomplish the same thing. Also, since I have multiple days planned at Hs I was not worried about things going awry one day. I’m now sitting pool side having enjoyed a relaxing bfast. I have a nice day planned with rotr (sometime this aft) and three Fp‘s waiting ready to go this aft as well. I like making Disney Days as relaxing as possible. (Ya I know that’s kinda an oxymoron)😀

I hope other people try this too and report back. That sounds like a much more relaxing way to tackle DHS.

We will be hitting DHS the morning of the marathon. I was really hoping they would extend opening to 7am but it looks like it’s sticking to 8.
I was happy getting there at 430am if needed. Not liking everyone getting in at the same time. I think if you wake up early you should have a better shot than someone who shows up at last minute.
Oh well. We will try our best. We will walk over from Yacht Club and be there early. I need to get the mde on DDs phone so we can both refresh.

Last edited:
I just checked the app. They're up to BG 77 at 12:04. Does anyone know if this about the same pace as previous days?

Is there any data for how having magic bands impacts getting a BG? More or less trouble with the Join button activating quickly, more or less trouble with adding people to your group, etc. Or does it just not make a difference at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter