re: discounted Disney gift cards with Target red card

luckyfamilyof3

Earning My Ears
I have seen some postings regarding buying Disney gift cards at Target with the Target Red Card and getting 5% off.

I went to Target today, and they said no, any gift card purchases are not discounted. They showed me the card agreement too that said that. They also mentioned that not even Target employees get a discount on gift cards.

So I just wanted to clarify that. Bummer though!

I have seen some postings regarding buying Disney gift cards at Target with the Target Red Card and getting 5% off.

I went to Target today, and they said no, any gift card purchases are not discounted. They showed me the card agreement too that said that. They also mentioned that not even Target employees get a discount on gift cards.

So I just wanted to clarify that. Bummer though!

You should post this on the Budget Board as well if you haven't. I have seen this suggestion multiple times on that board.

I think the target employee you spoke with was misinterpreting the rules on the credit card. My husband is an employee of Target, has been for 5-6 years, the disney gift cards are actually listed as Disney Entertainment Cards in their inventory and pricing system and both the employee discount and the credit card discount work on these, I personally have bought $3000 worth of Disney Entertainment Cards from Target over the course of the past year and received my husbands employee discount and Credit Card discount every time:woohoo:. As a general rule with Target's discounts is to try it, if it doesn't work have them void the transaction or return the product...this is what my husband and every Target employee I know has told me, a lot of times the wording says one thing but the system says another, Target employees have to go by what the system says, if the cashier says no, it wont work and wont try then have them call an LOD (Leader on Duty) and complain, don't be afraid to tell them this is not a gift card it is an entertainment card and says so on the rack label. Hope this helps :hug:

They may say that but did you try it? I was skeptical until I actually did it. I bought 4 $25 gift cards a few weeks ago. The cashier told me the total was $100. When I slid my Target card for payment, the amount due was reduced to $95.

I think the target employee you spoke with was misinterpreting the rules on the credit card. My husband is an employee of Target, has been for 5-6 years, the disney gift cards are actually listed as Disney Entertainment Cards in their inventory and pricing system and both the employee discount and the credit card discount work on these, I personally have bought $3000 worth of Disney Entertainment Cards from Target over the course of the past year and received my husbands employee discount and Credit Card discount every time:woohoo:. As a general rule with Target's discounts is to try it, if it doesn't work have them void the transaction or return the product...this is what my husband and every Target employee I know has told me, a lot of times the wording says one thing but the system says another, Target employees have to go by what the system says, if the cashier says no, it wont work and wont try then have them call an LOD (Leader on Duty) and complain, don't be afraid to tell them this is not a gift card it is an entertainment card and says so on the rack label. Hope this helps :hug:

Thank you for this information. I guess I will return to Target, pick up some Disney cards, and have them rung up. I just figured I would start with asking at Customer Service, and both people there told me the same thing. I know most stores don't discount gift cards (like if you buy a Kohl's gift card, your 20% off coupon won't discount it), so I was surprised at this one. If it works, great!

PS. What is an "entertainment card" as opposed to a gift card?

This is true - I did the same last week - $100 card for $95 - as i am saving mine for my xmas cruise, $100 per week will soon add up to a nice little discount.

Okay. I guess I'm heading back to Target again! I'll post what happens to me.

If it works, we'll be stocking up on Disney cards to pay for excursions and tips.

I did it back in January with my target visa card, $1000 worth of gift cards for $950. I just wish they had some bigger denomination cards or cards you could load with your specific dollar amount. It took a while to enter in all the cards to pay down my cruise. Also, for some reason my cruise price went down, and Disney refunded the difference($10) to the last gift card that I used. So save your cards until your trip is done.

I did it back in January with my target visa card, $1000 worth of gift cards for $950. I just wish they had some bigger denomination cards or cards you could load with your specific dollar amount. It took a while to enter in all the cards to pay down my cruise. Also, for some reason my cruise price went down, and Disney refunded the difference($10) to the last gift card that I used. So save your cards until your trip is done.

We have the debit red card. I'm assuming if it works for the credit card, it should work for the debit card too?

Thank you for this information. I guess I will return to Target, pick up some Disney cards, and have them rung up. I just figured I would start with asking at Customer Service, and both people there told me the same thing. I know most stores don't discount gift cards (like if you buy a Kohl's gift card, your 20% off coupon won't discount it), so I was surprised at this one. If it works, great!

PS. What is an "entertainment card" as opposed to a gift card?

I am not entirely sure why they are listed as "entertainment cards" instead of gift cards, I can only assume because they are a set amount instead of being allowed to choose how much you want on it, all I know is if you look at the tags on the posts the cards are hanging from it says Entertainment Card and the only Gift Cards Target carries is their own (and you can not get a discount on these.) Also keep your eyes on their Facebook page, I don't know if they will ever do it again but around christmas they offered a $10 Target GiftCard with the purchase of $50 or more coupon, they worked on the gift cards too :dance3: haven't seen them since though :headache:.

We have the debit red card. I'm assuming if it works for the credit card, it should work for the debit card too?

yes it works with the Debit Cards also, so Happy Shopping! :yay: but I have heard that the Debit Cards have a daily limit amount or something like that, not allowing more than like $200 or maybe it was $500 worth of purchases? not entirely sure I have the Target Visa Credit Card

yes it works with the Debit Cards also, so Happy Shopping! :yay: but I have heard that the Debit Cards have a daily limit amount or something like that, not allowing more than like $200 or maybe it was $500 worth of purchases? not entirely sure I have the Target Visa Credit Card

How do you apply for a target debit card and how does it work?

How do you apply for a target debit card and how does it work?

You apply at the store. They will ask for a blank check, and the Target debit card is linked to your bank debit card. You program a PIN for it, and you get 5% off your purchases. We spend so much money there, it's a win-win for us, plus we can send 1% to the school of our choice.

You apply at the store. They will ask for a blank check, and the Target debit card is linked to your bank debit card. You program a PIN for it, and you get 5% off your purchases. We spend so much money there, it's a win-win for us, plus we can send 1% to the school of our choice.

Wow thanks I was just there! Go bye Walmart hello target.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased the cards in Dallas and in Orlando. I received the discount in both locations. I agree it would be nice if they had larger denominations.

I'm so glad I saw this thread. This is the first I've heard about these Disney entertainment cards. Where can you use these cards? Can I use it to pay for a Disney cruise that I've booked through a TA? How do I apply it to my onboard account? Thanks!

You can apply the gift cards to your inboard account by bringing them to guest services and they redeem them for you, crediting your stateroom account.

I'm so glad I saw this thread. This is the first I've heard about these Disney entertainment cards. Where can you use these cards? Can I use it to pay for a Disney cruise that I've booked through a TA? How do I apply it to my onboard account? Thanks!

They are just regular Disney Gift cards, they say they can be used on the cruise lines, at the World and Disney Land. I paid off my entire cruise with them and will be getting more to cover tips and other on ship expenses. you can either call and have them added before you get there I think or just carry them to guest services when you get on the ship and add them to your account.

So I went back to Target, bought $200 worth of Disney gift cards, paid with my debit red card, total was $190! So I'll be paying some more visits to Target before our trip. I wasn't sure if there was a spending max on the card, so I just tried $200 for this time. We're happy! :banana::banana::banana:

Now I plan to call DCL and have them added to our account before the cruise. These will cover our excursions and tips, so hopefully not much to be paid after the cruise is over.

Thank you for all the info! Going by what I was told at Target, I thought it wouldn't work. But I'm glad people chimed in with experiences. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter