RCI-App Chat Details

moericus

Mouseketeer
Six of us are setting sail soon on the Mariner of the Seas. We all have iPhones and no one has bought an internet/wi-fi package. I would prefer to stay off the internet for a week if possible.

I am trying to figure out if we can all use the new App chat feature to communicate on the ship while at sea. Do we need to pay for internet? Can my kids be logged into the app without their own reservation? Can the grandparents communicate with us being on a separate reservation?

Thanks in advance. If we cannot use this chat feature then suggestions are helpful to keep track of the kids (more likely the grandparents 😉)

We used it on Oasis last month and do not get internet package. We simply connected to the ship wifi and we were good to go. We did set up accounts for our kids though so that they could each chat as themselves. It's nice too as you can also set up group chats. Worked great for us so we could keep in touch and not have to purchase internet or "Meet back at the cabin at x'o clock."

I'm told, and @Frozen2014 can confirm or deny, that the chat portion has no notification. So you'd have to keep checking to see if someone sent something. Not a deal breaker, but something to know (if accurate).

Follow-up:
We used the RCCL app for messaging with no internet package and it mostly worked. Only snag was my daughter was too young to use messaging. I received the 'notification' when she tried to message me but we could never get it to work.

However, she was always with my son who was old enough to message adults (at least us).

We never tried to resolve this through Customer Service on the ship. We had enough to worry about with our itinerary completely changing and re-booking excursions. (Ended up with great weather Coco Cay so it was for the best)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter