RCCL Mobile Phone Apps; Anthem vs Adventure

Cackyschmackers

DIS Veteran
We were on the Anthem of the Seas last year, which is in the Quantum class of ships. We downloaded the Royal IQ app before we left. This gave us the ability to not only use the ship's wifi for free for chatting within the app, but we were also able to for free use our iPhones to text each other and also text those back at home through iMessage or WhatsApp; this was without any Voom or internet package. I understand there was some sort of unintended glitch that allowed this and was never supposed to be a "thing" (but it is/was a known "thing"). Anyhow, in a few months, we will be on the Adventure of the Seas, in the Voyager class. I went to my app store to see if I could download Royal IQ again, but it seems to be gone completely. I did download the Royal Caribbean International App. The Adventure was just added to this app (apparently, there are different apps for different technology on each ship). So, my question is this: Is there such a thing any more of using your iPhone for free texting to those back at home? What is this new RCI app? What will it do once on board? Does anyone know for the Adventure of the Seas with this new app if we can connect to the ship's wifi for free and chat with those aboard? Any insight would be great; thank you!

The new Royal App doesn't have chat (it's in Beta on a couple of ships) but it does do quite a bit:

- Online check-in (use it to get Expedited Arrival)
- Book specialty restaurants
- Bookmark activities and shows
- View menus
- Deck plans

I did find that the app calendar and the cruise compass didn't always match up but it was a useful tool. A full rollout of a chat feature is coming in the back half of 2020, but given Royal's IT issues in the past (for example when they rolled out their new, presumably HTML5-enabled pages), I'm not holding my breath.

Okay; thanks, @starvenger . So if we want to use our iphones, we basically have to buy a voom package? We're not interested in streaming, just using apps to communicate with those back at home. Any experience with Voom on the Adventure by chance? And when would I use the new Royal CI app to check in? When we arrive at the port? It's the Cape Liberty Port in Bayonne, which is super easy to check in anyhow in person. Thank you!

I haven't been on Adventure, but Voom worked pretty well on Independence. I even spoke briefly with a tenant via WhatsApp Calls.

I believe you'll be able to use the App (or website) to check in once the 90 day window opens. I don't believe Bayonne has Expedited Arrival, so that's not in play, but with the way Royal handles embarkation it's all pretty quick anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter