• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rates have soared; what gives?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I just had a trip in December and January during Christmas time and my rates were $65/night for All-Star Movies from Dec.19 thru Dec.31 and Jan.1 to Jan. 5 at Animal Kingdom Lodge-Savannah View for $159/night. Both rates were from Disney Club and included tax.

There are some good deals right now but you have to be done with travel by April 9 to get them.

I'm calling now for the end of May (May 14 thru May 23) which I know is regular season and the rates are horrible in my opinion. Value resort is $95/night and Moderate is $136/night and AKL standard view is $240/night. These are Disney Club rates. Savannah room is not available at AKL for a Disney Club discount and they want regular price of $352/night.

I called twice just in case I got someone who was new, etc and to no avail. My prices were the same.

Is this right? What are others getting for prices if you would be kind enough to share. I'm waiting for AP rates to come out and hoping for the best.

we went late may-early june last year. we stayed at CSR; $84 per night, AP rate. hoping for same this year.

Yes rates are higher this year (I think)

Last year I paid $3600.00 for 9 nights concierge

This year 8 nights concierge is 4025.00 and it is the exact same week - and a day less.

>>^..^<<

The level of discounts over the past few years has been unprecedented and unusual. With tourism and the economy down, big discounts were necessary. If tourism and the economy turn the corner and travel to WDW and park attendance rise, it is very likely that the big discounts seen the past few years will begin to shrink. I would imagine that Disney will wait a bit longer before releasing larger discounts for April through the summer to see if bookings pick up without the big discounts. If they don't you may see discounts similar to last year. If bookings do pick up you may not get as good a deals as a year ago.

While it is painful to have to pay more than you did last year, I hope the discounts of the past few years become a thing of the past. That would mean things are on the mend, attendance and revenue will be up, and Disney can start investing in the parks again. That will make WDW a better place for all of us, even if it costs a few more dollars to be there.

Those $84 rates for April/May 2002 were made available around March 18th. There's a chance we will see something similar this year. The moderate rates for peak season are just $10 more than 2002 ($109 v. $99) Hang in there.

Gcurling,

I agree with you. I think rack rate for savannah view only went up $15 for 2003.

But, I'm hoping we won't have to wait until March.

The rates you are quoting from December don't sound like the regular Disney Club rates. The DC discount is no more than 20% off, and usually closer to 10%. The rates you are being quoted for this May sound more like the typical DC rates, where the discount covers just a little more than the tax!

Was that a special DC promotion you got in December? I know they have those sometimes, but like the codes, they are only offered a few months ahead of time.

May codes & AP rates should be out soon! Maybe you'll get lucky and find a better rate. :)

I don't remember using any special code and I did my ressies about 5 months ahead.

I just booked My Universal resort, Hard Rock, and it's cheaper then what I had on my December visit. I don't get it. And this was booked with the holiday weekend for Memorial Day. I used the entertainment rate discount and got it. I'm happy.

I may consider off-site if the annual pass rates are not much better or a least a split stay on and off. Sorry but I look at it as two, cheaper trips or one more expensive one.

I can relate, Bete! I just got off the phone with WDTC, booking 7 nights at AKL, standard room, for beginning of May and it is costing me $1678.88 with my DC discount. I am having heart palpatations at the mere thought of it!

Well how else do you think they will pay for Eisner's $5 million restricted stock bonus for fiscal 2002? :jester: :jester: ;) :eek:

Don't shoot me, I also want something CHEAPER!!! In the last few weeks in one of our papers, it showed moderates at $119.00 for a code. Last May we paid $89.00, actually we paid $99.00 for poolview. The value and all of the others I saw an increase. I am just curious if something is going on. I will be really surprised if they do increase the codes, my thoughts are they are going to have to do something to make up for the Disney Club.

The price of $136.00 could be close for Disney Club discount. Last May we started out at $169.00 for our room rate. This is just booking the room without any discount. I then applied a AAA discount which came to $134.00. The AAA and the Disney Club discount are very close. Then when a code came out, it came down to $89.00. This is at PO - Riverside.

in one of our papers, it showed moderates at $119.00 for a code. Last May we paid $89.00
That code for 119.00 is for PEAK season (ends 4-9-03). As far as I know Disney has never offered a discount code rate for Peak season! When you paid 89.00 in May, it was Regular season and those discount codes haven't come out yet. ~:D~

From the historical data chart on Mousesavers (which I've read wrong before!) it does look like the DC released special rates on Sept 29th, 2002 for dates in November & December. I can't tell what the prices were, but the regular DC discounts come out at one time for the whole year (like in the Fall of 2001 for all of 2002) so it must have been something better to be worth mentioning.

So I'd again say that the great deal you got for December was a later release special based on predicted occupancy (low). And your May rates are the regular DC discount, which is 15% off value & moderate resorts for Regular season.

Keep looking for that AP rate!

Actually the rack rates for the resorts did not go up much at all in 2003, some of the resorts even stayed exactly the same.

The discounts for your May trip have not yet been released, so currently the best discount available is Disney club, which isnt that deep at all.
If you leave your reservation alone, when the discounts come out, you can call to modify it and save $$$

I have the exact same rates for my trips as last year...

Laura :)

Actually, this seems to be a nationwide trend (which I don't understand!) I have noticed that hotels overall are charging more even though with the economy down they have less business travelers like me to fill them up.

All I can figure is that they have decided that the variable costs of filling them at discounted rates just don't make sense. Disney has already shown a willingness just to close hotels rather than have "empty rooms" or more discounting.

There is kind of a break even point that the management has to make a decision on.

Actually the rack rates for the resorts did not go up much at all in 2003, some of the resorts even stayed exactly the same.
Actually (at least for the moderates) they went down , POR rack rate Peak season last year was 189.00, this year 169.00. ~:D~

I'm paying $6044 for 10 nights Poly Concierge LV in April. Should I be concerned about the rate being accurate? I was told it's the DC rate.

I have a question that has probably been answered a million times before but I am getting very antsy waiting for those May discounts. We already have a AAA discount on our ressies. When the AP's come out can we change our 15% AAA for the better AP rate or are we stuck with this discount? Also if we can switch to AP rate if a code comes out later that anyone can use that's equal to the AP can we change again so we don't have to purchase an AP? We probably won't get back to the World within the allotted year. Thanks a bunch! I hope I didn't sound like I was babbling.

Hi Disneyfreaks,

Yes you can switch over to an AP rate or code from a AAA discount.

We have the same thing. AAA and are waiting for AP's or codes. The cm the other day said not a problem, they'll switch it right over.

Thanks lizzie64. That is so nice to know. I wish they'd hurry up and post the May discounts. I am so afraid I'll miss them. I keep checking here and at mousesavers everyday. I guess that's all I can do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter